PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies in stomach for no reason

Alice1
16-01-15, 08:23
At the minute I have butterflies in my stomach and a sickly nervous feeling, like I used to get before big exams, but I have no exam.
It becomes worse for some reason if I think about going outside, which is odd, because I don't think I have any problem with going outside, or I never really have before.
I'v been worrying about my heart recently and that I have pulmonary hypertension because of a high result on my echo a year ago (worrying that it's got worse), even though the cardiologist said I'm fine.

I feel ill when I walk t university, especially if it's in the morning and it's fast and in a rush, and now have been wondering if I'm getting out of breath doing simple things like walking or going up stairs, and so if it's pulmonary hypertension getting worse because it's undetected.

I just feel really shaky.

Dan1975
16-01-15, 08:29
Sounds like anxiety to me. Worrying about your heart has given you physical anxiety symptoms

Alice1
16-01-15, 08:45
Sounds like anxiety to me. Worrying about your heart has given you physical anxiety symptoms

I hope so. I keep telling myself that, but sometimes it feels that maybe I'm second guessing myself or ignoring it when actually there's something wrong.

jonjones
16-01-15, 10:46
Hi Alice,

Ive suffered from anxiety for near 20 years, a churning stomach, butterflies in the stomach, whatever you wanna call it, is due to adrenaline. Some people have different symptoms of anxiety that are more prominant for them. For me and it appears you, its the tummy area.

Along the stomach are adrenaline feeder-lines and when you feel anxious they drip adrenaline into your tummy muscles. Because you are anxious your nervous system, which controls the adrenal glands, as well as other glands, releases adrenaline more easily that normal into the area. Your tummy may shake, or sometimes it may be constanly hard, as its a constant drip, like a tap running of adrenaline.

The way to get over it is to stop caring about it, to stop making a fuss. I know right now it pisses you off, but the reality is that its no biggy at all, its just a hramles chemcial in your body, for which at the moment is in excess, stop fighting against it. Just try and chill and live with it. Dont pay it too much attention, it doesnt deserve your attention.

Best,

Jon