PDA

View Full Version : phobia of illness in others

everhopefull
16-01-15, 17:19
Hello to anyone reading this
I have looked through this site and others about my specific phobia and how to control it, but sadly , nothing is similar.
My intense anxiety symtoms (fight or flight) start when either my son (who is 23 years old and lives with me), gets poorly with tonsilitis, flu etc or one of my cats gets an illness.

As soon as I know or suspect illness in them, my body is flooded with adrenaline, nausea, panic and overwhelming sense of 'I cannot cope with this'

I am on full alert from that moment on, adrenaline cursing through me. I keep checking on the ill person (cat) every few minutes and have to be in their vicinity at all times. I cannot eat, sleep or concentrate on anything else just in case I miss something and their illness gets worse.

My cat got cystitis in november. I was on fight or flight for two whole weeks, back and too to the vets, didnt eat much or sleep.
When he got better, it took 2 weeks for my body to settle down and then I have crashed into a terrible fatigue (I suffer with M.E, and have been diagnosed with it). I have been bed bound since this crash.
please can anyone help me get over my fear of illness in others or how to cope with it so I don't keep relapsing with my M.E

I'm panicked about the next illness which will occur.

many thanks
Teejay