PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to give up on this mad?

Avasmummy_x
16-01-15, 19:47
I started it mid November and have had mild positives some days it helps most it doesn't and is unbearable.

I can't leave the house alone.
And I am in a constant state of panic when alone in the house.

My biggest struggle is this horrendous fear of going mad I just can't shake it.
I know a few people with skitzafrenia and my mum and grandma both have very server bi polar so it only adds to my fear.
Ive just convinced myself I'm going to hear voices and end up locked away.

I just can't relax.
Healthy minds have got in touch and I have now begun with telephone conselling as I can't bare the thought of going out. Still waiting on hosp referal.

I'm just in such a bad place right now. I read on one thread if you think your going mad your most probably not. Which is comforting but doesn't stop the fear.

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-15, 23:04
Many of us think about whether we are developing more serious mental health conditions.

I have spent time investigating bipolar which I ruled out.

I thought I about schizophrenia but knew about it but from reading about it I was clear on the fact its very different in terms of symptoms.

My therapist mentioned I had the minimum 4 indicators for OCPD as I finished therapy so I thought that was very likely but when I researched beyond the criteria I found I didn't display the resistance to releasing my behaviour was flawed so I ruled that out.

If I recall rightly AV, your situation escalated due to intrusive thoughts. Is that correct? If so, you are bound to wonder about the voices thing, I know I did, but they are more like whispers & nudges than the voices a schizophrenic would hear.

If you are concerned about that, tell your support and let them advise you so they can make or arrange for an assessment.

Its a natural fear given what we see about things like schizophrenia but it's symptoms are nothing like anxiety disorders and the medical world have a dictionary of indicators to determine which condition it may be.

eternally optimistic
16-01-15, 23:12
you aren't going mad, just having a hard time.

I've had two weeks off work where I questioned the same thing. If we weren't sane, we wouldn't be able to ask that.

stay strong, things can improve.

Jackie

Avasmummy_x
17-01-15, 00:23
Yes terry that's exactly what set my anxiety off as I had been ok for about 2years.
Whispers and nudges is exactly what I get. Mainly from my thoughts. I think about how in skitzafrenia they are told to hurt people or myself and then I hear myself say it in my head if thatnmakes sense? Which scares me even though I put and made that thought there. Just can't switch off. I'm making myself far worse than I actually am through thoughts.

My doctors diagnosed gad and OCD with the pure o for obsession with different things so it started with heart conditions, brain tumour and now hearing voices but as I said to her tihere is no magic test for that like an MRI or echo scan. Which scares me more because How do they rule it out, how do they know it's not more than anxiety? Typical catastrophising we do anxiety. But it never leaves. It's stuck in my head one day soon I'm gonna hear something I feel like a ticking time bomb.

It doesn't help I'm very bunged up at the moment so everytime I swallow or anything my ears crackle which brings more attention to my ears. Sounds daft but any sound or noise I hear I ask can say my partner hear it too as I fearit's not there and there's only me hearing it. X

Thanks eternally optimistic. Love your name. I've had this fear since September wish I could just get over it x

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-15, 00:37
They can rule it out based on their definitions & indicators. Schizophrenia has symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions, detachment from reality and catatonia.

I think the fact you already had HA plays a part here. You already had difficulty accepting a diagnosis so thats going to be a problem in accepting this too.

I used to get the whispers & nudges, its not like hearing a real voice. These are essentially intrusive thoughts when they get to these heightened levels. In one way it can be useful because by understanding how they 'feel' you can distinguish the difference between a Cognitive/conscious thought and the subconscious ones.

Its how I learnt to spot them in order to start addressing them so perhaps you should consider the fact you have made that discovery too and that the working on them stage starts here?

Avasmummy_x
17-01-15, 01:34
Tbh I haven't looked up the symptoms of it as I know I'll obsess but obviously the haaludinations part is the main symptom I feel. I get depersonalisation and re realisation a lot recently too which doesn't help with the detached from reality symptom.

I just genuinely feel it's happening or it's going to happen and it am red alert.

My friend has told me to just accept the thought and let it pass but it's I hard and never leaves.

I want to work on them I just dot Knwo how? Up at 1.30am not go it gt jr

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-15, 01:51
I'm doing some searching for my OCD at the moment and come across a description of differences & similarities between OCD and other disorders either in the same spectrum group or share elements. There is a useful comparison of OCD & schizophrenia that might be useful to you.

http://iocdf.org/about-ocd/related-disorders/

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

Acceptance is one way. I know the HA guys put a lot into this but I find its not enough for me. I went the Mindfulness route because acceptance is one of it's 8 elements and I found it easier to work on some of the other elements until I could start the acceptance.

This is why I prefer Mindfulness because it doesn't rely on you learning how to be accepting, it guides you through exercises that include it and you learn it along the way.

Personally I find OCD is more about not reacting as opposed to accepting. If you train yourself to stop responding, the subconscious starts to view the thoughts as no longer valid until they end up replaced with new behaviours. I've observed other OCD sufferers report this too on the OCD board.

I did it through Mindfulness and my harm OCD has been resolved.

hanshan
17-01-15, 05:42
Hi Avasmummy,

I don't know if stopping pregabalin will help and it may make things worse. Like the other posters above, I definitely don't think you are going crazy, but fear of intrusive thoughts (which aren't a sign of madness) can itself be very disturbing.

The Claire Weekes approach is to accept it and ride it out, but as Terry said, that can be difficult and doesn't suit everyone.

Are you able to see a psychiatrist (rather than a GP) to assess your medication? You have said that you have had a difficult time with ADs, but there are other medications out there which may be helpful that a psychiatrist can prescribe.

Avasmummy_x
17-01-15, 13:47
I definitely agree if I was going mad. I wouldn't know it. I certainly wouldn't be posting about it as id think it was normal.
This use to make me feel better but the worse the fear is getting the more it's not.
It's frustrating how such a fear is taking over.
It probably is intrusive thought based as I still get my intrusive thoughts of being high up and urging to jump.
I'm still waiting on my physciatrist appointment at the hospital I was reffered back in September.
I start mindfullness sessions next week.

lior
17-01-15, 14:16
I went on a date with someone who had hallucinations. She wasn't locked away, she managed her condition, she works for a council and still has fun :)

Seeing her enjoy her life made me less scared of being 'mad'.

Avasmummy_x
18-01-15, 23:47
Going to ring my doc tomorrow and update her on how im feeling last week was hell especially the past 3days. My ears are bunged up which is bringing more attention to them which is the last think I need as I keep covering my ears in fear of hearing things.

Think it really is ocd based as I had harm thoughts as washing up ( knifes ) and shrugged it off nearly right away as I knew it was bullshiz and id never do that. shame I can shrug the voices thing as quickly.

Been in constant anxiety for the past 48hrs and I'm anziety and truly fed up of this being my life. Somehow I haven't took a diazepam so I guess that's my only positive at the moment.

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-15, 00:19
Well thats a positive about that harm thought, its just learning to do this with the rest.

The thing I found with OCD is that not all of it is equal, some of your forms can be more intense or just more ingrained. If you can reduce our control any of them, you are making progress.

If you have another anxiety disorder such as GAD, it can really fuel the OCD. I remember you have HA so this voices issue is just fueling the HA cycle. There is another member on the HA and Depression boards, Superjonboy, who had this problem so perhaps its worth discussing? The HA board, I find, is more about physical triggers to physical disease/conditions but it can always take the form of psychological illness, it just seems less common.

Dazza123
19-01-15, 02:42
I stopped taking them cold turkey, as per doctors advice as I had severe bloating and just felt pretty crap. Cold turkey hurt and I was in a state for a good few days, but its passed now, I havent started them again and I feel ok. I honestly think, for me personally, that any type of med for my anxiety just makes it all worse. On medication I have feelings of self harm, feel like I am losing my mind, feel totally mental, get OCD, paranoia blah blah blah, however, when I take nothing for it, I just feel anxious a lot and have the odd panic attack. To be quite honest I think id rather live like that than with medication. Seems sad really, but its true.

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-15, 02:57
Hi Dazza,

Sorry to hear this.

Can I ask a question though? You mentioned getting OCD from medication and I was wondering whether you had this before the medication?

I've had obsessional tendencies but not to the point of thinking it's OCD. For the first 4 years I only had GAD, but when I relapsed I started a new medication (I came off Citalopram 6 months before then relapsed) Duloxetine and once I tapered up to the standard 60mg dose, I suddenly developed several forms of OCD. I think some were an intensification of the earlier obsessional tendencies but some seemed completely new.

I have always wondered whether the medication triggered this but I've never seen anyone mention it unto you just have.

Cheers.

Terry

Dazza123
19-01-15, 03:08
Hi Terry.

No, I have never had OCD before, not until taking medication.

I had one situation where, if someone on tv said a number, usually a low number like 15 or something, I would have to count from 1 to 15, and this was happening everytime I hear a lowish number, also the other usual things like checking the oven is off, locked doors at night etc, but it was getting more extreme like with the number counting thing, that was just pure weird. As soon as I stopped taking medication it went.

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-15, 08:01
Thanks Dazza,

I think this must have 'activated' something for me so it really annoys me about medication and it's issues as this gave me a whole new disorder which has taken a lot of work to get under control.

I noticed I had to reduce my GAD to even work on my OCD so I wonder if in my case its about intensity as well because the 60mg dose made me car more anxious than I have ever been.

Thanks again.

Dazza123
19-01-15, 10:21
For me, all medications I have taken (which is most) seem to give with one hand and take away with the other, so some of my problems ease, but new ones appear, and I could really do without new problems which is why I always end up giving up and going it alone. I honestly don't think there is a medication out there for me. I once tried Quetiapine, a very low dose prescribed by a Psychiatrist, and that numbed me completely, most issues disappeared overnight, but I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day, whilst awake I was totally unaware of life, and it affected my diabetes, I have excellent control of my blood sugar, but quetiapine raises blood glucose so I had permanently high blood sugar, which is pretty dangerous for me, so why I was prescribed it I have no idea. My experience of mental health is doctors and psychs just throw medication at you and expect everything to be peachy, but for some, including me, that just doesnt work. The only CBT I was offered was a student taking me for a walk once a week, this girl was about 19 so half my age, it was ridiculous. A lot of people suffer alone and Im not surprised when this is how we are treated.

Avasmummy_x
19-01-15, 11:13
Yes terry I have had gad since I was 13/14 im now almost 22. Ha started a year ago and the ocd, intrusive thoughts stafted in September. But my doc says the ha should of been a early warning sign on there behalf as I was jumping from one illness to another obsessing. Very much like I'm doing now with skitzafrenia. But I almost feel this is worse with it being physcological? None of my others stopped me doing things this stops me leaving my house alone ect.

It's been a very vicious cycle for nearly two years and it seems the more I fight it the worse it gets. Like when I had ha if anything comes on tv about skitzafrenia I totally freak out and think it's following me and it's a 'sign' just like I did when I saw cancer adverts so it is very similar.

Thanks for that terry I will definitely check him out. Always comforting knowing someone's gone through and even more so if they've got over it.

Gad must be definitely fuling the fire.

Dazza sorry the meds haven't worked for you, If you find your better off meds then that's great as only you know your body best. Maybe try mindfullness course or cbt and it may make anxiety more bareable to live with for you! Ive always got on better without meds until September when I started with ocd it just spiralled my gad to a whole new level x

hanshan
19-01-15, 11:25
With all meds you have to balance the positives and negatives. That said, the current meds are way better now than when I first started having anxiety issues back in the 1960s (actually, my anxiety issues go back to the 1950s, but didn't get medical attention until the 1960s).

Back then, I was prescribed trifluoperazine (indicated for schizophrenia) which didn't do much for my anxiety but (I think) helped precipitate a nervous collapse.

Avasmummy_x
19-01-15, 21:14
Can I ask does anyone else get spells where you feel so drugged up on pregabalin.
I get hours in the day where I feel as if ive took a diazepam but I havent it's horrid.
I had it in the beginning as side effects but that was in November!

Feeling very detatched :(

Dazza123
20-01-15, 01:26
I did get a calmness with them, similar to Diazepam, but I didn't find it offensive, it was actually quite nice at times.

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-15, 02:05
Yes terry I have had gad since I was 13/14 im now almost 22. Ha started a year ago and the ocd, intrusive thoughts stafted in September. But my doc says the ha should of been a early warning sign on there behalf as I was jumping from one illness to another obsessing. Very much like I'm doing now with skitzafrenia. But I almost feel this is worse with it being physcological? None of my others stopped me doing things this stops me leaving my house alone ect.

It's been a very vicious cycle for nearly two years and it seems the more I fight it the worse it gets. Like when I had ha if anything comes on tv about skitzafrenia I totally freak out and think it's following me and it's a 'sign' just like I did when I saw cancer adverts so it is very similar.

Thanks for that terry I will definitely check him out. Always comforting knowing someone's gone through and even more so if they've got over it.

Gad must be definitely fuling the fire.

Dazza sorry the meds haven't worked for you, If you find your better off meds then that's great as only you know your body best. Maybe try mindfullness course or cbt and it may make anxiety more bareable to live with for you! Ive always got on better without meds until September when I started with ocd it just spiralled my gad to a whole new level x

For what its worth AV, I think your anxiety has increased in intensity due to the Pure O Harm thoughts so its highly likely that your HA will become more intense as well. So, the current HA concern may feel worse because your underlying levels of anxiety are higher.

When my OCD hit on top of my GAD it was just unrelenting. I felt I was losing my mind.

If you can bring your overall anxiety levels down, you will hopefully find the HA is like it was before.

Can I ask, why do you feel you can't go out anymore? I become agoraphobic when my anxiety gets to the worst stage so this may just be part of the overall problem add opposed to a new distinct issue or a feature of the new HA feature. If so, I found it easier to conquer this issue, it just took some exposure & perseverance.

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-15, 07:10
I remember your thread about your CBT Dazza. It was shocking how they treated you so hopefully next time you will get a different place where they want to help their patients!

---------- Post added at 07:10 ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 ----------

I agree Hanshan. Services are so limited and GP's can have so little knowledge that you end up having to assess the medication on your own. I'm also convinced that side effects can be seen long after you stop experiencing the start up ones.

netball
20-01-15, 10:31
i don't go out alone AV. I'm calm in the house but not when i know i have to go out. I think mine is the fear of having a panic attack. And that fear has been with me since they started 15 years ago. I've tried cbt but it didn't help and relaxation. I don't know where i go from here.... Any suggestions welcome xx

Avasmummy_x
20-01-15, 11:20
The intrusive thoughts have definitely raised my anxiety.
I could leave the house, work get on with my anxiety before September terry.

Like netball I think it's a fear of a panic attack as when I'm gearing up to go out or do go out it swallows me whole and I can't cope. I walked to the shop the other day last week and ran back in tears with horrendous racing thoughts that didn't settle for hours after I had to take a diaz! Another thing is harm thoughts. When I went to pick my daughter up from nursery I cross a busy main road and all the cars going past/noise ect is not good for panic! As I get very sensitive to sound and seeing things and I then got urges to jump in front of the cars! I rang a local taxi firm and got a taxi because I couldng cope.

I will go out when I'm with someone I still get anxious but not as bad! I feel safe.

I'm struggling to cope because unlike you netball I'm getting no break. I'm anxious as hell at home and outside of home. But I think that's the skitz/bipolar fear. Because it will get me no matter where I am. I also am horrendous when home alone as I don' feel as safe either x

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Pregabablin should be bringing my overall anxiety down but doesn't seem to be doing. I was considering upping my dose but the higher dose I go on the more drugged I feel.

Dazza123
20-01-15, 12:27
I would have thought that there should have been a lot more relief for you at the dose you are on, than you are getting at the moment. Id hate to say you should stop them, because you clearly need something that will help you, but Im just not sure this is it.

I also will not go out on my own due to the anxiety, but I have always been the same.

Im not sure what the answer is for you, but you clearly need a break from this anxiety. I bet quetiapine would work for you, at a very low dose, but that in itself has its bad points due to the sedating effect it has, which clearly wouldnt work with a young child to look after.

Avasmummy_x
20-01-15, 23:14
Dazza I feel sad to say it but I am in agreement with you. It did help a little in the beginning but since christmas it is at a all new high and I can safely say anxiety has never ever been like it is now.

Which only adds fuel to the fire of thinking it's something more than anxiety.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and will be bringing up all my concerns.

I don't want to give up on the med but with such little relief on a decent dose and for 2months surely I should be feeling better not worse!

hanshan
21-01-15, 11:51
Hi Avasmummy,

I can understand how you must be upset and disappointed that pregabalin is not working after two months. I tend to agree that if it was going to have a longstanding effect, you would have noticed it by now.

My own personal feeling is that pregabalin works best for constant, low-level anxiety (think a leaky or dripping tap). It doesn't work very well for high anxiety (think a burst water main). Taking more may just increase side effects with no benefits.

While I'm not especially a follower of Claire Weekes, you may want to look at one of her books, since she describes the "anxious because I'm scared I'll get anxious" phenomenon that you describe.

Back to medication, a psychiatrist may be able to tailor the right mix of medications that can help you best (probably not a GP).

Avasmummy_x
21-01-15, 19:01
Exactly hanshan I think if this was the med for me I'd know it by now.

I'm definitely going to have to get one of her books as quite a few have said how good she is so im gonna look on Amazon now.

I totally agree I was reffered back in September and I'm still waiting, I ring my gp every week and she emails them to try and hurry things along as I am really struggling and there's not much more my doctors can do for me. I think they'll definitley know the right approach with tackling my anxirty and of course meds. It's just a waiging game :(

I'm absolutlley gutted this med isnt working for me. It's the only one that's not given me absolutlley unbearable side effects :( xx

pulisa
23-01-15, 08:52
It could be that, like Dazza, you are just better off without meds for severe unremitting anxiety. My daughter and I have both found that the meds ( and we have tried the whole spectrum over many years) make this type of anxiety worse not better.

There's no denying that severe anxiety is crippling and impinges on every minute of the day. My daughter is an "able" autistic adult whose anxiety/OCD became off-the-scale when her meds were increased to the maximum dose. I'm not a medic but am just suggesting that maybe less is best when you're dealing with severe anxiety which fails to improve after trying a variety of meds?

Wishing you well and hoping that you find some respite very soon

Dazza123
24-01-15, 00:00
Thats it Pulisa, for me, Pregabalin had plenty of benefits, but gave other problems, and to be honest lots of bad came with the good. Background anxiety was better, but the other anxiety problems I had were up and down and I also suffered other issues. Sertraline wasn't awful, but I was very OCD with it, and all of the others available were horrendous. At the minute I am taking nothing, today has been quiet and calm, nothing out of the ordinary has happened, and I feel ok, so as long as my day is calm and controlled I get through and its been a decent day. On medication it would have been a decent day probably, but I wouldn't have felt normal, or myself, I would have been me on medication, whereas I prefer to be me, with no medication and feeling ok. I think that one day, you just have enough and you find a way to cope and deal with everything in a way thats safe and comfortable for you.

I do believe through experience that meds can make you feel a lot worse and for some people it just isn't the answer - However, about 10 years ago I took fluoxetine for about a year and it was brilliant, so bit weird there, but there we have it.

hanshan
24-01-15, 04:22
I definitely prefer the "me on medication" feeling to the "me not on medication" feeling.

When I was not on medication I constantly had this nagging, anxious feeling that something was wrong somewhere. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was wrong, and would always be searching my mind for what it could be (classic GAD, I think).

Now that's gone, and I don't feel particularly medicated either - just the loss of negative feelings.

This works for me, but we are all different with (or without) these medications, and each person has to find what is best for them.

Avasmummy_x
24-01-15, 22:53
Everyone varies don't they.
I just haven't found the right med or form of help to make life bareable for me. It's been a long gruelling 8years and the past 6months have been very intense.

I think my problem now is having ocd alongside my gad so both need looking in to and treating.
My anxiety is there all day nagging and then I get very bad scary thoughts randomly and my mind races with them.

For example last night in bed as I tried to sleep I kept seeing scary images like off films I'd seen in the past and it sent me in to a panic attack and today I was doing my make up in the mirror and had racing thoughts of should I hurt myself which also set off my panic attack.

As a result now I am anxious all day in fear of having these thoughts which brings the thougts on as im thinking about them! My mind is non stop.

Dazza123
24-01-15, 23:35
For me, anxiety was passing me by throughout the day, which was great, I definitely noticed much less general anxiety, but it also felt like life was passing me by. So I was waking up in the morning, not doing very much daily and it was suddenly bed time, so everything, anxiety, life, emotion, was just passing me by. That doesn't work for me because I want to get my life back. However it was the constant blurred vision and bloating that was the biggest problem. I feel that pregabalin with something else, like sertraline, may have been better, but for now I will see how I go, and maybe try this in future. I still say I prefer me without medication, but at the minute things are ok, Im sure it wont last long as it never does, and then I will be back to the doctor.

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Avasmummy, you are in a cycle of anxiety, I have had plenty of them, and its difficult to make it stop, but you need to get back to the doctor because noone can live like that, there was a time 6 years ago that I really felt I was having a breakdown, I was like you the second I woke up and it went on till bedtime, it was constant and it pushed me to the edge, thats when I went back to the doctor. I think I was put onto dosulepin that time, which wasn't too bad, but Im not sure they prescribe that anymore unless you have been on it previously.

Avasmummy_x
25-01-15, 13:29
I'm back and forth to my doctors dazza it's like no one cares orvdoesnt think it's as bad as it is. Very frustrating x

pulisa
25-01-15, 20:12
I don't think Doctors appreciate just how devastating severe 24 hour unremitting anxiety and panic is. They just suggest listening to music/having a bath....reading a magazine etc.

Unfortunately in this state actually sitting still for 1 minute is a huge challenge. If GPs could experience this feeling of constant mental/physical agitation then they would soon change their tune.

Dazza123
27-01-15, 08:52
I have a tiny sense of calmness about me at the moment, and I swear I haven't had that feeling for many years, with no medication things are hard every day, but to have that little bit of calm inside me feels amazing, I could never ever relax, my brain was on guard 24 hours a day, so for the minute I am doing ok and one day last week I even had a feeling of overwhelming happiness and a sense of well being, now thats something ive not felt for god knows how long.

GPs etc will never understand, its only people like us that do because we live it, we are the experts and I think we all find our way out eventually, but I dont think we ever get better in the greater sense of the word, we just cope better through experience, sometimes with the help of meds, and sometimes without.

pulisa
27-01-15, 09:18
Yes you couldn't have put it better, Dazza. It's pointless explaining to others how you feel-unless you've been there how could anyone imagine how terrifying it all is? I doubt whether psychiatrists have much of an idea either..

You do have to find a way out of it for yourself either with or without meds.

keggsy
29-01-15, 09:01
Thinking about giving up on this med too.
Am on 300 per day.
Thinking about cutting to 225 for a week, then 150 for a week then 75 for a week before stopping.
It is just not helping my acute bedtime anxiety and I think it may be hindering me dropping off to sleep, not helping.
Any thoughts?

Dazza123
29-01-15, 10:29
I slept better when taking them, but anxiety really kicked in late afternoon/early evening and stayed for the rest of the night. Daytime was great, and I was very relaxed and chilled. Only you can decide Keggsy, but id speak to the doctor if you are thinking of stopping and definitely taper them off, I didn't and I felt really bad for a few days due to that.

SarahH
30-01-15, 09:37
Sorry you guys have not benefitted from pregabalin as I have. I hope you all find a way through.

Sarah

hanshan
30-01-15, 11:05
Hi Dazza, Keggsy, Avasmummy,

Pregabalin isn't for everyone. Best luck next time.

Dazza123
30-01-15, 11:50
Strangely, it seems that for some of us it did work out for a while in the beginning, and then stopped doing so.

I wonder if we either started on too high a dose, or increased dosage to quickly once we had started to take it?

SarahH
30-01-15, 12:24
Dazza, did you go up to the full 600mgs?

Sarah

Dazza123
30-01-15, 13:10
No Sarah, just 450mg (3x150mg)

When I was on them a year or so ago, I started off on 75mg x 3 daily and that seemed ok, they made me extremely irritable to the point of me being quite rude, but apart from that I think it was ok as far as I can remember.

Avasmummy_x
30-01-15, 14:51
I'm still on 400mg my doctor told me to taper down if I feel it's not my med but she's given me no advice on how much to go down at at a time? Useless.

I feel really not me on them I feel massively drugged up and just not here it's really wierd to describe. I'm not dizzy but my eyes almost feel it and tired and then just spaced out. A similar effect to diazepam but atleast with them it wears off.

That's the main reason I want to come off them I shouldn't still have these side effects 4months on. X

keggsy
30-01-15, 19:57
Will prob stay on them till I see gp in 2 weeks time.
Might just go up to 450 per day until then to give one last throw of the dice.
Am worried about withdrawal coming off them!

Dazza123
30-01-15, 22:36
As long as you taper them mate you'll be ok, I did cold turkey as I said and it was bad but for only like 3 days, then I was fine. Tapering will make it a lot easier if you decide to come off them. Always worth another shot though so good luck with it :)

Avasmummy_x
30-01-15, 22:47
I'm worried about withdrawal also.

One of the main reasons im still on them.

hanshan
31-01-15, 03:52
Hi Avasmummy,

Tapering should stop or greatly reduce any withdrawal effects. You can devise your own program and go as slow or as fast as you like. The positive will be the loss of current side effects, as you say pregabalin doesn't seem to be working for you.

My own feeling is that if you can't see or are uncertain of any positive value after almost three months, it's unlikely to suddenly have any positive effects, and there is no need to go on torturing yourself.

Avasmummy_x
31-01-15, 14:46
Thanks hanshan. I'll taper 50mg off a week.

Don't get me wrong they help a little. But life is still unbearable x

SarahH
31-01-15, 17:33
I agree with Hanshan about the tapering. However, I kinda feel that perhaps trying the maximum dose first be a good idea... just a thought:unsure:. I can't remember how long it took for all the SE's to wear off completely... maybe I have just got used to them.

Good luck

Sarah

keggsy
31-01-15, 17:45
Thanks for all your advice Dazza, Hanshan and Sarah.
Soz Ava for hijacking your thread slightly.

hanshan
01-02-15, 04:03
Hi Avasmummy,

If pregabalin helps a little, then a low dose (that doesn't trigger side effects) combined with another medication may be beneficial. This is where the advice of a good psychiatrist would be valuable.

I did some checking, and found that withdrawal effects have been noted, and a taper of a minimum one week is recommended. That's a minimum - there's nothing wrong with spreading it out over several weeks.

Avasmummy_x
03-02-15, 19:41
My partners certain that I need to come off them.
Since I upped to 400 ive felt drugged up all the time spaced out, angry, paranoid and I'm suffering really severe memory loss.

I had them on the lower doses but milder and thought it'd wear off.

Ive got doctors tomorrow so I will see what she says x

hanshan
04-02-15, 04:10
Hello Avasmummy,

I think if I was taking something that made me feel drugged up all the time, spaced out, angry, paranoid, with severe memory loss, for going on three months, I think I would stop taking it just as fast as I could. That is, is it time to give up on this med? I think the answer is yes.

Avasmummy_x
04-02-15, 11:36
Yeah my appointments at 2 today im sure she'll say to come off them.

But now ive got high anxiety as im worried I won't cope on no meds and I just can't go through ads side effects again. It's like I dont feel strong enough to beat this alone but I want to x

MrAndy
04-02-15, 11:38
Yeah my appointments at 2 today im sure she'll say to come off them.

But now ive got high anxiety as im worried I won't cope on no meds and I just can't go through ads side effects again. It's like I dont feel strong enough to beat this alone but I want to x
there are lots of other meds you can try ,low dose anti pyschotics work well for anxiety and dont have any start up effects like ADs.Dont be scared to ask your doctor about them
good luck