PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Please

manmoor
11-01-07, 13:04
I have received my appointment after an 8 month wait to see a Urologist on the 31st of January and jst wondered if anyone that has been could tell me what they do at the appointment as I'm freaking out about it already lol. My health anxiety has come back big time these past few weeks and I can't convince myself the pains in my sides and back are due to IBS like my doctor has told me. Hope some of you lovely people can give me some info to keep me sane. xxx

Take Care

Mandyxx

yorkylover
11-01-07, 13:36
I hope all goes well for you Mandy.Iv had lots of tests done for my pains, all came back ok.Im not sure what they do at urology,but im sure someone here does.:)

Ellen XX

constantworrier
11-01-07, 13:44
Hi Mandy,

I recently had to see a urologist also. What they do really depends on what your problems and history are. It may be different with females, but with me, i had a physical exam, had to have urine tests and had a KUB xray...(a plain bone xray (no injections) that is taken of the abdomen to show Kidneys, Ureters and Bladder).

All these tests were completely painless. If like me you are anxious about results, TALK to the urologist about it. I got my GP to write to him beforehand, advising him of my health anxiety which helped loads.
My urologist was very sympathetic and made sure that the urine tests were dipstick tested there and then to give me basic indications, before they were sent to the lab. He even scheduled the xray for immediately before the next consultation so he could read the plates and i didn't have to wait for results.

A couple of tips....

Ask the urologist to talk you through everything he is doing...both beforehand AND during.

Remember YOU are in control at all times...you can refuse any procedure and can ask him to stop at any point. If you don't understand something ask him to explain again.

Good luck...hope this helps!

Take care,

CW :)

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon

Sax
11-01-07, 13:48
Hey Manny,

My suggestion is how about ringing the Urologists secretary and explain you suffer wiv anxiety and could you speak to someone prior to the appointment so you know what to expect. There maybe a nurse in the outpatients appointments who you could speak to then and she can reassure you and also help you prepare for the appointment.
Just a thought

Wishing you all the best for it Manny and here if you need me

love Sax xx

samc100
11-01-07, 13:53
I have seen a Urologist quite a few times. But my reason is because I have had renal problems several times.

They'll have a chat with you about what has been happening.
I had a blood test and a urine test on my 1st appointment

I had a very quick painless internal examination but us girls can handle that and a nurse was there. So wear decent knickers just in case.

The following appointment was a scan ( like they give pregnant ladies with the gunky gel) and Xrays. Both utterly painless.

The worry is more painful than what actually happens and your Urologist will have met other patients with anxiety problems so don't think they won't understand your worry.

I have had other procedures but they are kidney related only so won't bore you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lynnann
11-01-07, 14:01
Hi Mandy,

Can't really answer your question but wanted to send you a great big HUG. I am sure everything will be ok. Sometimes the worry beforehand is far worse than the appointment.

Phoning them to ask sounds like a good option to me

Lynnann

kittykat
11-01-07, 15:14
Hi there Mandy,

Never had any probs like this (as of yet ....lol) , but I wish you all the best and am sending you (((BIG HUGS))).

Hope all goes well , let us know

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson

matilda
11-01-07, 19:32
I had a cystoscopy when i was younger due to constant cystisis. They put a little scope up my ureter to look around but they knocked me out for it. Also i had dye sent through my system to track my renal system, also painless just a little warm feeling.

Take care Love Matilda

mick
11-01-07, 20:30
mandy
hi ya babe from one health anx nut to another health anx nut dont worry m8 youll be fine im sure we got this health anx sh.t thats all every time were ill its like armageddon time for us i believe thats our illness hun thats the way of the world evewntually we will beat it for sure untill then your m8s on nmp will help you every step of the way like you have helped so many of us take care hun
Mick x

my life has been full of terrible events most of which have never happened!

ruthb1
11-01-07, 21:08
not had this ( hope i never do) otherwise i will pass out and end up in A&E pmsl

love ya loads sending you big (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

dont forget the sexy knickers now pmsl

thought you would appreciate me cheering up

love from boooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruth x x x x x x x x

tnt808
12-01-07, 18:07
((((HUGS)))) Mandy

You will get through this babe, it's what we do...we push on even when we swear we have nothing left!!

"Be The Change You Want To See In The World"...

Take Care of You,

Tina

misterg
12-01-07, 19:36
Hey Mandy
Been there done that! just be thankful that youre a woman Im a man and the access for the internal exam is a whole lot more painful. Usually with a woman no pain at all. and most visits to a Urologist just start out with simple urine tests and a little gel with a sonogram which are both totally painless will determine everything. I have Prostate problems which you ladies definately dont have to worry about but I guess im lucky not to have ovaries LOL

Dan

manmoor
13-01-07, 13:06
Thank you all for your replies your all amazing. Thank you thank you thank you how would I cope without all you lovely people eh. xxxxx

Take Care

Mandyxx

PhantasyStar
13-01-07, 13:11
I don't have much to add Mandy, but i just wanted to wish you good luck also. ;)

manmoor
13-01-07, 13:17
Aww thank you Phantasystar. xxc

Take Care

Mandyxx

Lindalou64
13-01-07, 14:01
hey mandy,
i went to one a few months ago alls they do well to me is and it depends on why ya going you can tell me another time,but alls they did was a urine test.....ultasound.....was suppose to go back they didnt see anything but wanted to do one more test i didnt go due to illness and other crap came up so one day i will make another appointment dont worry hun it will be ok.........miss ya love ya.......Lindaxx[8D]

Lindalou64
13-01-07, 14:04
ps: i cant believe it took you 8 months for a appointment in the uk are yas short of docs the only reason why i ask is that alot of people on here have to wait several months for anything medical.......thats not right.......just wondering........................

manmoor
13-01-07, 14:27
Linda thank you my love xxxxxxx miss ya babe we need to catch up soon xxxxx

Take Care

Mandyxx

ginger2006
13-01-07, 14:27
Hiua Mandy
Can I ask you what your symptoms are?? I've had chronic abdominal pains which had spread to my back. I've had tests for infections which have come back clear so now I'm wondering if these pains are anxiety related, perhaps IBS??
Hope everything goes ok with your appointment
LOL
Gingerxx

manmoor
13-01-07, 14:33
I have pmed you Ginger thanks for your reply hun. xxx

Take Care

Mandyxx