PDA

View Full Version : Colonic Hydrotherapy/Irrigation for IBS symptoms?

lass
11-01-07, 13:32
Has anyone tried this? I've booked myself an appointment for Monday. I know I'll feel very embarrassed about this but I'm willing to try anything once!

Any info or experiences would be good - but please, no awful stories til after I've been on Monday!!!

yorkylover
11-01-07, 13:44
Hi would you let me know how it goes!!!Iv always wanted to try this,but never had the bottle.I would be really interesed in knowing what it was like.Iv heard its very good and makes you feel pretty good in your self after.Well done on making an appointment.:)

Ellen XX

lass
15-01-07, 19:10
Ok, I've decided to post how my colonic hydrotherapy went today, in case anyone is interested!

The therapist was lovely - we went through my questionnaire, talked about my diet and lifestyle, bowel habit, any problems or concerns, etc. She then explained exactly what would happen and the whole procedure. I had to remove my clothing (waist down) and put on a very attractive disposable gown! Then I lay on the table on my side and she very discretely inserted the tube - that was fine, not uncomfortable or anything (surprisingly!).

Then she put through some water and you can feel it filling up your bowel until you get to the point where you think it's going to come out, then she drains it out. (I should explain, the tube is divided into the water coming in and the waste coming out. It's all plumbed in so drains away with the sewerage - I was expecting a tube and a bucket I think!).

They are able to identify all sorts of things from what comes out, and the therapist kept an eye on the clear tube that shows the waste. Then she got me to turn onto my back for most of the treatment, and she massaged my abdomen in places to help get rid of gas and blockages.

She said my treatment went well; I had lots of gas [:I] and she identified candida but not a huge problem, according to her. Apparently virtually everyone has this - I'd always thought it was a big problem for me when I'd done the candida questionnaires, but it looks like it's ok.

Then I had to roll back onto my side for the tube to come out, and I could go and re-dress. I had to sit on the loo for a few minutes to let the rest of the water out, which was a strange sensation!

Anyway, I felt fine afterwards. Very thirsty, but I'm told to drink lots of water to flush it all out. I felt much more awake then I usually do at that time of day. I have a bit of a headache now but I think this is part of the detox and I'm trying to drink more water to get rid of it.

All in all, it was nowhere near as embarrassing as I imagined - my dignity is still in tact. I guess I'll find out over the next week or so whether it's had any benefit on my bowel habit.

If anyone is interested and wants to know anything else, let me know!

nicktaylor
15-01-07, 19:28
Hi,

I've been thinking of this - it'd be interesting to hear how you feel after a couple of days, as to whether it's made much difference!

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about the fact it washes out the good bacteria as well as the bad stuff, and how people get headaches afterwards. All that has made me cynical, and convinced I'll have a panic attack when I'm all full of water, so it'd be great to hear from someone that the benefits you read are true. I even saw an article in 'the london paper' about it being great, so an honest opinion here might give me the courage to give it a try. :)

nomorepanic
15-01-07, 20:01
Oh thanks for the great post - I always wondered how it would be even though I have seen it on TV

Cheers for that and let us know how it goes.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

lass
15-01-07, 20:17
Hi Nick,

It IS true that it flushes out good and bad bacteria - however they do recommend that you take a probiotic afterwards. And the natural bowel bacteria quickly get back to normal apparently.

I guess it's the "detox" that gives you a headache - I do have a bit of a headache (since about an hour after the treatment), but nothing too bad and drinking water seems to be helping it.

I am feeling very "windy" though, but this is apparently to do with the bacteria multiplying back up to strength and will apparently last up to 48 hours.

But certainly no side effects (so far) that would cause me any concern. So I'll keep you posted about the benefits over the next few days ....

barbie
15-01-07, 23:19
Ooooh I wish I'd seen your post earlier! I had 2 colonics a couple of years back for my IBS and it did do me the world of good.

I had high levels of candida and to be honest I wish I'd kept the colonics up as I am now a raging sugar machine and need to get sorted again but its just too expensive for me at the mo. Am going to have to do the anti-candida diet instead:(

I'm so glad you found it to be a positive experience, alot of people think its wierd or embarrassing but as you said the therapists put you at ease.

"Smile Like You Mean It"

ksmith
15-01-07, 23:26
Do you get referred by your GP or do you find practitioners in the Yellow Pages? Also, anyone know how much they are?

Would love to try it as I'm sure of the benefits but would also be scared I'd collapse into fits of giggles when I see the pipe and bucket!!

Kay x

lass
16-01-07, 10:46
Hi Kay -

I found my therapist from here: http://www.colonic-association.org/history.html

LOL I was expecting a bucket too, but there isn't one. It's all plumbed in to the sewerage system. There's a water heater tank on the wall, the water travels down a narrow tube (therapist controls the heat and pressure), the tube attaches with the outlet tube to a spectulum which they insert into you. The outlet pipe is bigger - hosepipe size I guess! - and has a clear window so the therapist can check what's coming out. Then it all drains away, never to be seen again! No smells or anything as it's all behind tubes. Very hygenic and dignified!!!

I paid £62 for my session.

My therapist was lovely - we did giggle all the way through to be honest! I think the therapist needs a sense of humour. The worst is when the gases pass out through the tubes - makes a bit of a noise - but she warned me in advance and made me promise not to apologise for it!!!

I'm feeling great today - although still very windy! But I woke up and felt completely refreshed, got up straight away, full of energy. This is NOT like me at all!

Also, I weighed myself and I have lost 2lb since yesterday morning. Which is kind of gross thinking I was carrying around 2lb of waste in my bowels ....

I would recommend this treatment, and I would definitely have it done again sometime.

Hi Carlabarbie -

I discussed candida with my therapist as I always come out really high in the questionnaires. I did have some but she didn't think it was too out of control. I've tried the candida diet before but it made me very ill for the first few days and I didn't stick with it long enough. The therapist said you may need to stay on the diet for up to 3 years to completely clear the problem. Have you tried chromium for your sugar cravings? Best of luck, I know how horrible it is!

Caroline
xx

barbie
16-01-07, 21:12
Oooooh no I havent tried that, but I will! Thank you.

I did do a gluten and lactose free diet for quite a while a couple of years ago, I did feel great and lost weight but was still eating sugary foods and getting cystitis and thrush which is why I want to give this a go!

I dont know how good I'll be as I've only managed it for a couple of weeks the past few times I've tried!

"Smile Like You Mean It"

lass
23-01-07, 13:46
Just wanted to let anyone interested know that one week on and I'm still feeling great! Some positive things I've noted are:

I have LOADS more energy.
My bowel function is more regular than it was and more "normal".
My tummy pains have gone (but I now know these were blockages anyway).
I have more concentration, my head is clearer.
My mood is better, I'm much less irritable.
I'm not as cold as I was - although obviously today is absolutely freezing, but I always feel the cold so much and I'm definitely not as chilly as I was!!!
I'm not craving bread, sugar and junk food like I was.

I'm making sure I eat healthily, as I don't want to fill my system back up with junk right away; however I'm not perfect and I'm having the occasional treat and a few bottles of wine over the weekend!

Anyone considering this, i would definitely recommend it!

barbie
23-01-07, 13:55
ckirby25 sounds like you are doing all the right things, just make sure you have the colonics regularily and you will feel fantastic!
Well done!

"Smile Like You Mean It"

nicktaylor
23-01-07, 14:09
Sounds like good news. I don't really have any excuse at not plucking up the courage to give it a go myself... Now just to find somewhere 'reputable' for this sort of thing nearby that doesn't cost the earth. :)