PDA

View Full Version : Getting through a flight and holiday

AnxietyDJ
18-01-15, 15:56
Hi guys... I realise this has been covered a million times already, so I apologise for creating my own thread, but I am hoping it will make me feel a little calmer.

I'm meant to be heading to the US within the next few months to visit some friends who live there, but am quite frankly completely overwhelmed and terrified at the thought of the trip.

I suppose the main worry is the journey - i.e. being on a plane for 8 hours on my own, with nothing but the ocean below :scared15::scared15::scared15: Also, to make it worse, I am due to fly to NY first, for one visit and then get another plane to Chicago, for the next :unsure::unsure:

I do want to go, but even now writing this, just the thought of it is making me feel extremely panicked and unwell. I haven't been on a plane now for around three years and have completely avoided any trips or holidays. Even staying overnight at a friend's house has become something I can't/won't do.

A friend mentioned the possibility of getting something from my GP so that I am more relaxed for the flight, which I am definitely open to, but at the same time, I feel like if I could get through everything un-medicated, it would be quite a big step. Has anyone taken anything for a flight (or other occasions) before?

Any tips, advice, or general words of encouragement would be so welcome!

Thanks in advance guys :):)

Sunflower2
18-01-15, 17:29
How about you split it into different sections of the flight.. So you'd have activities sort of planned throughout to look forward to. Plane takes off, have a newspaper to read (get a massive one and it will last the whole flight!) then food is likely to appear, watch a film or 2, listen to some music, write in a journal, do sudokus or something that makes your brain have to concentrate on something, try to sleep at certain times, more food, then before you know it you'll be there.

I think the most important thing is to plan what you will do to distract you, keep busy and don't let your mind wonder. Practice all the anxiety management techniques you have. Good luck, you can do this! And if it all gets too much, make sure you're prepared with some medication to chill you out and maybe even just knowing you have it will be enough to reassure you! :)

AnxietyDJ
18-01-15, 17:35
How about you split it into different sections of the flight.. So you'd have activities sort of planned throughout to look forward to. Plane takes off, have a newspaper to read (get a massive one and it will last the whole flight!) then food is likely to appear, watch a film or 2, listen to some music, write in a journal, do sudokus or something that makes your brain have to concentrate on something, try to sleep at certain times, more food, then before you know it you'll be there.

I think the most important thing is to plan what you will do to distract you, keep busy and don't let your mind wonder. Practice all the anxiety management techniques you have. Good luck, you can do this! And if it all gets too much, make sure you're prepared with some medication to chill you out and maybe even just knowing you have it will be enough to reassure you! :)

Thanks for the reply Kimberley! That's all really good advice :)

Unfortunately, due to my brain being idiotic and stupid, I find it very very hard to distract myself adequately these days... Even if I'm reading / using my laptop / watching a movie etc. in the back of my mind I am still panicking non-stop over every little thing, and on a plane that is amplified ten-fold.

I will definitely try to break down the whole trip into little sections, and then I can focus on conquering one small part at a time.

Thanks again! :blush:

Sunflower2
18-01-15, 18:19
I know the feeling of not being able to concentrate on the distractions! You could always try running up and down the aisle to burn off some energy! :D

AnxietyDJ
18-01-15, 19:02
I know the feeling of not being able to concentrate on the distractions! You could always try running up and down the aisle to burn off some energy! :D

Haha!! Even if I am freaking out about the journey, thanks for making me smile at least :D:D