PDA

View Full Version : UTI - help (Ladies only)

GirlAfraid23
19-01-15, 11:03
I've recently moved to a new area with my boyfriend and I think the stress and worry, changes in routine etc have lowered my immune system.
Anyway, two days into the new place, I developed pain when urinating and a horrible burning sensation, also a feeling of fullness.
Chemist gave me sodium sachets to take - I took all of these and felt some relief
so believed it had helped me. A day or so later, I had sex with my boyfriend, I asked him to be gentle and he was, I didn't feel any pain during, however the next day, I had extrutiating pain in my uretha area, coming and going, feeling like it was coming from my clitoris.

The pain and urge to go became so bad by Saturday, I was running to the toilet, with a little urine escaping now and again...! I'm only 25 so wasn't happy about this sort of leakage.

Eventually, on Saturday evening I rang 111, being new to the area, I don't have a doctor I can go to, so they got me an appointment with the out of hours clinic - the walk in one.
Saw a nurse practitioner - they tested my urine and said I had "bugs and blood" in it. She then put me on Trimethoprim antibiotics - two a day for three days. I'm on the third day - I don't feel much of a change in symptoms, the pain has disappeared when urinating, but I still have the urge to go constantly and some pain around my pelvic area. I'm starting to think I have pain in my lower back too...which immediately makes me panic about kidneys.

What should my next step be? As I mentioned, I'm not registered with a doctor here...has anyone else been on these antibiotics? And do they take a little more time to work?

Pipkin
19-01-15, 12:49
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Pip

pinky260
19-01-15, 13:35
Hi :) i have found with those tablets it takes the sting/ pain when weeing away very quickly but the urge to wee takes a bit longer to go. If it doesn't go i would go to walk in cos you may need different anti bi's x

jimsmrs
19-01-15, 13:45
Hi
Drink plenty of fluids, water, cranberry juice or Lemon barley water and when you bathe/shower don't use any shower gels as they can irritate 'down there', it's self cleaning, like your eyes and what happens if you get soap or shampoo in your eyes? it stings like hell.

debs71
19-01-15, 14:03
You are only a few day in taking antibiotics. It takes much longer, and sometimes more than one course of antibiotics to clear a UTI. They can be very stubborn to get rid of. Pain low down in the abdomen and pain in the back are classic UTI symptoms. Par for the course.

If the nurse you saw took a sample of your urine to be tested in Microbiology (not sure how thorough the nurse was you saw....she should have) then the lab testing identifies the most appropriate antibiotic for your bacteria, so if you find the meds you are on don't clear it, they can be changed to the one most appropriate, but as it is only 3 days since you started antbiotics, it is far too early to tell yet.

UTI symptoms can take a fair while to totally go, even after you start antibiotics, as the bacteria has to fully leave your system, and that takes time. x

Oops.....I have just noticed that you say she only gave you a 3 day course. Pretty mean of her, as you can give up to 5 days of Trimethoprim. I would see how you go, but 3 days is a very short duration of meds for a UTI, and if you find your symptoms lingering on, you may need another, longer course and/or a total change of meds altogether.x

diane07
19-01-15, 14:32
I agree with debs.

I am prone to UTI's and a three day course is never enough for me. If it doesn't feel like its subsiding in the next day or two then go back the walk in centre.

Are you still registered with your old GP?

GirlAfraid23
19-01-15, 14:54
I agree with debs.

I am prone to UTI's and a three day course is never enough for me. If it doesn't feel like its subsiding in the next day or two then go back the walk in centre.

Are you still registered with your old GP?

I am registered with my old GP but that's back home, I've moved away so I can't go there now.
Yes, Ill give it another day or so and then go back to the walk in - do I have to ring 111 first every time?

Annie0904
19-01-15, 14:57
It might be best if you go and register with a doctor there.

diane07
19-01-15, 14:57
If you're still registered with your old GP, you can go and see any GP on a temporary basis, they contact your old GP for any info they need, i know because i did it myself. You can apply to register with any GP and they apply for all your records from the old surgery so you don't have to wait, a new GP will see you straight away.

GirlAfraid23
19-01-15, 15:10
Ok thanks, should I wait for a day or so to see if these antibiotics work first? As I still have one more to go.

diane07
19-01-15, 15:16
I'd go register with a new doc anyway, you can phone and speak to receptionist who will give you a form to fill in, its very easy to do. That way, if you do need more antibiotics it won't be a problem to organise. x

GirlAfraid23
19-01-15, 15:23
I'd go register with a new doc anyway, you can phone and speak to receptionist who will give you a form to fill in, its very easy to do. That way, if you do need more antibiotics it won't be a problem to organise. x

I'll do that tomorrow then x

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

There's no immediate concern of it moving to my kidneys though? That's what I'm most anxious about.

diane07
19-01-15, 16:07
I've had it go to my kidneys and it will be antibiotics that will clear it, but my workload was too heavy at the time and left my UTI for a long time......lesson learned for me to not put my work before my health. xx

GirlAfraid23
19-01-15, 16:09
I've had it go to my kidneys and it will be antibiotics that will clear it, but my workload was too heavy at the time and left my UTI for a long time......le

:( what were the symptoms of it spreading to your kidneys?

So because I'm already on antibiotics I shouldn't get a kidney infection then?

diane07
19-01-15, 16:12
You should be fine.... I wasn't on anything at the time and had my UTI for weeks before i went the docs but it had already reached my kidneys, felt like i'd been kicked by a couple of donkeys but the Anti 'B's sorted it.

debs71
19-01-15, 16:36
:( what were the symptoms of it spreading to your kidneys?

So because I'm already on antibiotics I shouldn't get a kidney infection then?

It shouldn't go that far if you have already started treatment. It is an untreated UTI that can develop, but in saying that, it is probable that you will need further antibiotics. Like Diane, I just don't think that 3 days is long enough. UTI's are very awkward and can stick around if they don't get a good blast of antibiotics. I have also had several UTI's, and more than once have had to have a second course of treatment or my meds changed to one more suited after the urine results are back.

GirlAfraid23
20-01-15, 09:23
It shouldn't go that far if you have already started treatment. It is an untreated UTI that can develop, but in saying that, it is probable that you will need further antibiotics. Like Diane, I just don't think that 3 days is long enough. UTI's are very awkward and can stick around if they don't get a good blast of antibiotics. I have also had several UTI's, and more than once have had to have a second course of treatment or my meds changed to one more suited after the urine results are back.

As it was a walk in clinic, I don't think they sent off my tests to a lab though. I may go and register at a doctor today, the pain itself has gone when urinating but the need to go is still there.