PDA

View Full Version : Thyroids and Anxiety

Laurie28
13-10-03, 15:59
Not had any tests for anything doctor just gave me anti depessant (whic I never took and told me I had an anxiety disorder and PND

Could I have an overactive/underactive thyroid as i have recently lost weight as well (I don't know anything about the thyroids so if anyone does it would be useful to know)

Thanks
Lucky

benoo5
13-10-03, 17:10
hya lucky,
no one will be able to tell you if you have a thyroid problem,only your doctor.
we cant see your eyes,feel your skin,check the texture of your hair,feel your pulse...the list goes on.
self-diagnosis is not advisable in any situation,it will only lead to further anxiety,if your concerned about your physical health,see your doctor,thats wot he/she is paid for.
good luck with your nut eating tonite,why not pop in the chat room,and eat them in front of us..we might all go and buy some,ive always got loads in the car...take care bryan

nomorepanic
13-10-03, 19:54
Lucky

Most of us had the thryoid tested as part of the usual blood test. Ask your GP to test yours - no harm in getting it checked.

Nicola

Brazil Bill
29-10-03, 10:41
Hi Lucky, this is my first reply here, so here goes:
One of the things that made me go and see a GP was my weight loss (and the immense panicking I was doing as a result![:I]). I was worried about all sorts of things, but one of the tests I had was for hyperthyroidism (a blood test). The results were negative, my weight loss was all about my anxiety. I'm now on Prozac, and one of the side-effects is.....more weight loss. I've never felt so slim!

Incidentally your Thyroid gland basically releases thyroxine, tri-iodothronine and calcitonin (obsessive research? moi?). These hormones help to regulate the body’s metabolism.

Trust me though, worrying about weight loss generally induces more weight loss. Stop using the scales, lock them away if you have to!

Hope this helps

Peace,

BB;)

Laurie28
29-10-03, 12:04
Thanks BB,

Got my results back and thyroid etxc is clear. I will have to accept it is the anxiety and nothing medical and pig out!!

Thanks for your post

Lucky

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 18:55
Lucky

Glad to hear that your thyroid is ok - one less thing to worry about eh?

Brazil Bill - I put on 2 stone when I was on anti-depressants (including Prozac)!

Nicola