PDA

View Full Version : First time drinking Alcohol!

JustBenn
19-01-15, 15:04
I regret giving into peer pressure, and had Cocacola mixed with Whisky,

To be honest I never had enough to get drunk, and I hated drinking it, its just not for me, but am now getting paranoid that I can get brain problems from that one time, such as Epilepsy, Schizophrenia, or Cancer.

Could anything bad be triggered by drinking alcohol?

Mrschurchill
19-01-15, 15:17
How old are you? I honestly think you will be absolutely fine, try not to worry. It might give you a sore head or make you feel sick but not much else x

Mindknot
19-01-15, 15:21
One drink is not going to do any harm to your brain. There are people who drink a heck of a lot more than that on a daily basis and do alright. But it's not compulsory to drink alcohol, if it's not for you, don't.

JustBenn
19-01-15, 15:29
I'm 21, :roflmao:

unsure_about_this
19-01-15, 17:18
I also don't like drinking alcohol, sometimes to be polite especially when taking part in toasting someone like when my uncle got married, I had a small sip of bubbly, my family know I don't like booze and will never force me to, I sometimes have a shandy now and again.

JustBenn
19-01-15, 19:52
Thanks for answering, I forgot to mention that I did share a glass with my best mate, the question I have is, could I catch anything from her saliva?

Rollo
19-01-15, 21:05
I would try and seperate the two things.Firstly, Yes ,we have H.A, it makes us paranoid and constant worriers about our health- we try and work on that but to a certain degree it's the way we are. Secondly though, don't let people pressure you into drinking alcohol- you don't have too at all, you can manage and have a great time without it. It will only make any anxiety issue worse in the long run anyway, and you'll be much healthier!
Good luck

debs71
19-01-15, 21:54
No. You will not be put at risk from that one drink.

Secondly, you really don't need to feel compelled to drink just because your peers are doing it. When I was your age, and many times afterwards, I had friends and others nagging me about 'loosening up and having a few' or egging me on to get drunk, just so they could see what I looked like as I was a very, very lightweight drinker. I am more than happy with a soft drink, and I have always mostly HATED the taste of booze. It just doesn't satisfy me thirst wise, I don't like feeling even tipsy, let alone drunk, and the two times in my life that I HAVE been drunk, I seriously felt I was gonna die!! So ill. All night with my head down the ruddy toilet. I also don't see the sense of these mindless sheep who go out, drink all night, then throw it all up. To me it is a waste of money, and I have better to spend it on.

Anyway, bottom line is you are your own person. Just because they like booze, doesn't mean they should twist your arm to do as they do, and nor does it make you any less 'in with the in crowd'.....if anything, it makes you the exception to the rule, and your own person.xxx

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-15, 22:59
The only thing that can triggered is the sudden need for very bad food!

You will be fine. There is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol. You shouldn't need to feel you have to do it from peer pressure but who hasn't? Peer pressure isn't always the sinister pressure people portray it as either, its only when its more about forcing your will onto others rather than trying to open people up to new experiences. Whenever it happened to me it had always been the latter, I didn't take much persuasion!

I did a lot of drinking up to my thirties. It didn't cause me any physical or mental health issues, in fact if I had carried on leading my previous fun life I doubt I would have gone through a lot of this as I retreated from my social life.

Serenity1990
19-01-15, 23:16
TBH you probably unwittingly consumed more alcohol than that in your christmas pudding. You'll be fine!

Fishmanpa
20-01-15, 00:04
I concur with all the others in that this was not harmful to you in any way physically. Mentally however, it confirms my belief in that alcohol and anxiety don't mix. Granted, there are some who can consume alcoholic beverages in moderation and do just fine but the boards have shown numerous cases that prove otherwise.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-15, 00:12
I agree FMP, probably more in the case of medication. I guess its matter of determining whether it changes your behaviour to something negative given we have swinging moods and the resulting hang over which can be a big issue from both a mood & symptoms point of view.

debs71
20-01-15, 00:35
I concur with all the others in that this was not harmful to you in any way physically. Mentally however, it confirms my belief in that alcohol and anxiety don't mix. Granted, there are some who can consume alcoholic beverages in moderation and do just fine but the boards have shown numerous cases that prove otherwise.

Positive thoughts

I agree completely, Fishmanpa.

Alcohol is also a depressant, despite the fact some may say otherwise. I personally don't require any extra help with that! :lac::wacko::wacko::wacko::lac:

JustBenn
20-01-15, 16:39
Is it normal to still kinda ill like, Its been ove 48 hours!

Fishmanpa
20-01-15, 16:50
Is it normal to still kinda ill like, Its been ove 48 hours!

When you have anxiety it is...

Positive thoughts

RedXIII
20-01-15, 21:17
I drink very rarely and if you aren't comfortable with it then you should always say no.

I do however find that if I am experiencing a lot of anxiety from a specific symptom, the drink can make me forget about it and the symptom often times goes away. I always find that a little bit reassuring.

JustBenn
27-01-15, 19:34
Hey, I'm on the verge to catching a cold, I have an Ulcer and a high temperature, the party was on the 17th, could I have catch something sinister from sharing a drink with mates?

Feeling a tad worried.

Serenity1990
27-01-15, 21:46
If I'm honest, if I didm't have alcohol I wouldn't have made it though the past year. It's only after a couple of pints at the end of the day that I really get respite from it all.

That's not to say I have a drink problem, I don't. When I was excruciatingly worried about my health I gave it up for months without issue, along with everything else the docs say is bad for you. Everything in moderation I say!

Alice1
28-01-15, 16:16
Moderate alchohol use has actually been scientifically shown to prolong a person's life, compared to heavy drinkers or teetotalers. So if anything you've made your liver stronger and better able to deal with toxins.

Mentally it obviously can go either way. But one alcoholic drink of any nature will not effect your brain chemistry enough (unless you drink absinthe, ill advised obsiously...), provided you are not the size of a child. What has probably happened is that you've convinced yourself the alcohol will have an effect and make you ill, hence making yourself feel ill. In other words; anxiety. Try to ignore your body for the time being and you'll find it passes.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

Hey, I'm on the verge to catching a cold, I have an Ulcer and a high temperature, the party was on the 17th, could I have catch something sinister from sharing a drink with mates?

Feeling a tad worried.

Is your friend ill? Otherwise no. If she is, you still probably haven't, don't worry.