PDA

View Full Version : feeling anxious on days off

vicky23
19-01-15, 17:00
Hi everyone,
I've got a week off work (for no particular reason just to use hols entitlement) and I only work part time anyway but I'm finding that sometimes the anxiety comes on when I'm at home all day.
Which is weird because my anxiety is also centred around not liking being away from home :shrug:
I don't know if it's the change in routine or the fact that home is my safe place so when I feel anxious at home it's like well now what do I do?? whereas when I'm anxious and out I think 'I'll feel better when I'm home'
I have plenty of things to be doing but it's like I can't get the motivation to do them and my mind is fleeting from one thing to the next.
Can anyone relate ?
Vicky
X

Lyn89
19-01-15, 21:41
Absolutely can relate. I used to get so nervous on weekends and days off because work was the only place I felt okay and normal. At home you feel safe so naturally your thoughts turn to what is pressing you, which is your anxiety. You just have more time to think about it, that's all it is. I would try to do something you like on weekends or time off and reflect back on it and see how much better you felt. Like an experiment. Once you see that you're okay when distracted or enjoying something, use that evidence to show yourself the anxiety is all in your thoughts and thinking about it too much. Once you truly see that, you are in control :)

And I get the not being motivated to do things -- when you are consumed by anxiety, you just kind of sit there in a tense ball, waiting for it to pass or find comfort in anything that might take it away. This is feeding the anxiety. You need to do things despite feeling anxious. Just say to yourself: well fine, I feel anxious. That's okay. Its not going to stop me cleaning the house. Or going for that walk, or meeting that friend. Off I go!

vicky23
20-01-15, 12:08
thanks Lyn that's just the encouragement I needed to hear :hugs:
best wishes to you

jonjones
20-01-15, 12:54
Hi Vicky,

I agree totally with Lyn!

It is the studying yourself when you have nothing to do which is causing the prob. When you are working you are occupied so you think of your suffering less. But then when you suddenly have more free time you become more aware of yourself.

Being aware of yourself is ok, as long as you dont fight how you feel, and can face and accept it. But if you start fighting how you feel, by tensing against it, by adding second fear etc then it will build.

Have no fear of how you feel, the symptoms etc. Go with them, face and give up resisitence, let yourself suffer them. Its the resistence that is sustaining them.

However natural distractions, such as reading a book, doingsports, going for a walk or doing whatever you like to do, can give you respite as you take yourself of yourself.

Just my two cents! :)

Best,

Jon

nataliewoods88
02-02-15, 17:31
hey! i cant totally relate! i usually dread long periods of time off because i know it can lead to anxiety! Its having to much time to think and dwell on things, at work we are distracted and our minds are kept from wondering. I'd say try be as busy as possible but when the anxiety sets in accept it and don't find it :)