PDA

View Full Version : How can I overcome fear of psychosis

superjonboy
19-01-15, 17:51
Really struggling with this now.

I've been down for a few weeks now and I'm scared that I will experience psychosis. I'm 33 and have never hallucinated before apart from when I took LSD when I was 19.

I just keep thinking all the time that psychosis is coming :weep:

MrAndy
19-01-15, 19:05
Really struggling with this now.

I've been down for a few weeks now and I'm scared that I will experience psychosis. I'm 33 and have never hallucinated before apart from when I took LSD when I was 19.

I just keep thinking all the time that psychosis is coming :weep:
Cbt would help ,you would realise it's just an irrational thought with no proof or basis

jonjones
19-01-15, 19:22
Hey Jon,

MrAndy is right! This is an anxious thought and so should be treated the same as any other iational thought. You need to lose your fear of it. To stop being affected by it.

How?

By debating with it? By reasoning with it? By proving it wrong?

No!

You already know deep down that this thought ain´t true. The reason its scaring you isnt because it has truth to it. The reason its scaring you is becaue when you think it you feel panic, you heart may palpitate, feel tense etc. And so there´s an atmosphere of panic around the thought.

The thought is scaring you. But a thought is just thought, its a thought. Its letters of the alphabet but together to make words, put together to make sentences. Are letters scary? Of course not.

Youre becoming emotionally involved with it is what is making it scary. You gotta see that this thought is just words. I can think to myself, ¨Im gonna be a millionaire, and have the body of a Greek God.¨ :) But it dont mean its true! Thoughts mean nothing.

Do these thoughts have authority? What do these thoughts know? Do they have a degree, or a phd?? Nope. They are just letters of the alphabet. They mean nothing. o laugh at them, tell them they are a joke.

Also they are in question format. They just lead you down the garden path astray. All they do is pose a question. If they are so smart why cant these questions answer the question? So you can even say to yourself ¨if youñre so smart you tell me! Am I going psychotic? ¨ Then the thought wont be able to answer. Its mere suggestion with absolutely ZERO basis.

These thoughts are as meaningful as loose wind in a hurricane :)! They mean nada! Zilch!!

So think them as much as you want, but do not get involved with them. Dont think of the comsequences of them, dont let them fool you!

If you deal with them like this, and try to relax when you think them, then they will come less and less often, as they will lose their hold over you. And then you will have the thought one day, and just totally disregard them. Because they will have lost their fear.

This is all anxiety that you are experiencing, mate! Its scary, as hell at times. I know. I actually used to even think I was going pyschotic. Its scary, but is it harmful, or dangerous?? Not at all.

Face how you feel, let go of yourself, accept, accept, accept!

You´ll be fine mate!

Jon :)

superjonboy
19-01-15, 20:35
Thanks Andy, Jon,

Great reply Jon. I just find it really hard to believe :weep:

superjonboy
20-01-15, 14:05
One of the things I really struggle to deal with is how the initial stages of something like psychosis are described. They sound so like depression it seems the logical thing is that depression leads to psychosis.

It's scaring me how I don't seem to able to concentrate on things and how low I keep feeling. Just sit staring at things thinking I'm going to lose touch with reality.

I've been referred to CMHT but i'll probably be nuts by then :weep:

MrAndy
20-01-15, 14:42
it seems the logical thing is that depression leads to psychosis.
it doesnt Depression and psychosis are very different illnesses,even if you had or became psychotic it is treatable with drugs.Try not to dwell on it you arent going to suddenly become psychotic just because you have anxiety or depression

SADnomore
21-01-15, 02:50
Superjonboy,

Remember the girl I mentioned, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and to whom it was all news? That's how it works. There isn't this big lead-up, a long drawn-out "horror movie of fears" pushing one over some "edge" and then *poof* psychosis. What do you read, anyway? Lol! ... In actuality, you would simply be unaware of the behaviours that signify detachment from reality, to others. At some point you would be brought to medical attention and diagnosed and treated. If it worries you so much, be sure to tell your physician that you have been made uncomfortable with such fears, and I'm sure he/she will reassure you that your mental health will be kept track of, no worries. Leave it to the good doc and others around you, just as we all do and get on with your life. You owe it to yourself. And it's all right. You'll be fine, just like Jon said.

Instead of sitting around staring at things, thinking - why not google the disorders you fear so much, and the words "treatment" or "hope" or "recovery", as I suggested? IF you did that, then you would discover that indeed, as MrAndy says, they are treatable!

Why is it that you won't do this, but you will waste so much time almost willing yourself to be ill? Not being facetious, not being judgemental: but, maybe you need to ask yourself what such attention will bring you? And what it is that you are really afraid of, about life? Your life. One of the best things about therapy is that we have "aha" moments when someone helps us to reveal these things that we will avoid and distract ourselves from. And to deal with them.

No one says you can't get started now :) ... I find writing really, really great for this kind of work. You may want to take a walk and listen to nature, or an Ipod. As you consider what sort of goals you might want to reach in life, write them in a coil notebook kept in your pocket. Then make a note of every thought that comes to you against their attainment. Herein will lie at least some of your fears. Good fodder for therapy!

Good luck :D

Starman
21-01-15, 05:35
The fear of going "crazy" is a common symptom of anxiety. I had strongly experienced this years ago and I am still sane. I know its hard right now so hang in there and get the anxiety treated.

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/fear-of-going-crazy.shtml