PDA

View Full Version : GAD

AndyJ73
21-01-15, 12:04
Hi Guys,

Ive been through a load of stuff with mental health. Health anxiety to generalized anxiety disorder to OCD and now seemingly back to GAD.

I was wondering if any one had been through what I am about to describe?

My main issues are 'what if questions' and being stuck in a loop. So for example I will think 'what if I never recover?' or 'what if I am like this forever' or 'what if I dont enjoy the things I enjoyed previously'. Obviously these thoughts are pretty distressing and because they can not be answered or reasoned with, I attempt to 'live my life' normally, not avoiding anything, be it work, social events or anything else. This is far from easy, as all of the 'what if's' still continue in my mind, and so lead me on to feeling down. I just cant enjoy things without being focused on myself. It always seems to come back to how I have anxiety and all the possible negative outcomes that could result from this (e.g. I become depressed or housebound).

I don't actually have any phobias or particular themes of anxiety, just the fact that I am anxious because I feel I am anxious and I worry because I cant stop worrying.

It actually feels like I cant remember how to think properly. Most people would be thinking about their work or what they have to look forward to at the weekend or what they are having for their tea, but all I can think of is how I am constantly in a state of worry.

I found this on a website (http://anxietynetwork.com/content/what-is-generalized-anxiety) which seems to sum up how I am....

Generalized anxiety disorder is a relatively common anxiety problem, affecting 3-4% of the population, that turns daily life into a state of worry, anxiety, and fear. Excessive thinking and dwelling on the "what ifs" characterizes this anxiety disorder. As a result, the person feels there’s no way out of the vicious cycle of anxiety and worry, and becomes depressed about life and the chronic state of anxiety they find themselves in.
Generalized anxiety usually does not cause people to avoid situations, and there isn’t an element of a "panic attack" involved in the prognosis, either.

I was wondering if any one had been through something similar and had advice of overcoming it? Ive been using Paul David's book and website and trying to accept my anxiety, but I feel like I might be missing a trick or 'not doing it right'.

Thanks for reading.

Andy

gregcool
21-01-15, 13:04
hi andy.im in the same boat as you mate.i spend my whole day thinking,,,,,what if,,,,its draining and depressing having this all day long....what if i did this instead of that,what if i said this instead of that,,unlike you i do have phobias tho that make my life very restricted,iv been like this for months now and wonder if ill ever be my old self again,,,you are not alone andy..