PDA

View Full Version : ESA and partner

MidnightCalm
21-01-15, 17:19
Hi, I get income based esa and live alone and also get housing benefit. I only get enough to just cover my bills and rent and have struggled for a long time.
My partner is wanting to move into my flat but obviously he'll be living a normal life and working while I stay at home. Will this affect my money? Why should it if I get money for being ill? I know someone who has mental health issues but he has guaranteed permanent money and gets more than me so why am I on this?
If my partner moves in its hardly fair that my money goes down as I'll be halving everything with him and would never expect him to have to pay for everything. I can't afford to carry on living here alone but if I share with someone then my money goes down? I get it for bring sick, why should it matter what he does? He's an independent person.

debs71
21-01-15, 18:52
It depends (appaerently) if your original claim for ESA was contributions based or income related. If it was contributions, it should not affect you. If it was income based, it could, if you have a partner working more than 24 hours a week. Like most benefits, they don't view you as an individual....they view you in terms of entire household income.

Yes, it is unfair. I used to claim JSA many years ago, after I had to resign on health grounds. I was living with my parents, and not entitled to anything more because as far as they were concerned, my parents could support me......when I was an independent adult in EVERY other way - buying my own food, paying my own bills, etc. I claimed when I was 38 and had worked, and paid taxes since I was 17 years old (except for the 3 years I was at uni)

Frankly, that - and the unbearable grilling I got every 2 weeks just for claiming that paltry amount - pissed me RIGHT off. So much so, I stopped claiming as I couldn't bear the treatment I got from the 'Job Centre'. I decided to try to make my own money instead selling online.

Any excuse they can use not to pay out to people who REALLY are in need and REALLY DESERVE HELP, they will use I'm afraid....I wish you luck!