PDA

View Full Version : Can't cope with these panic attacks

Dan Wales
21-01-15, 19:19
I can't cope with these panic attacks. I just want to give up.

ninnie
21-01-15, 20:07
Don't give up. You will get through this. Have you been to see your doc? Or do you have someone you can talk to about how you feel?Do you know what situations trigger the attacks? I haven't had one for years, but I used to be too scared to leave the house and sometimes my legs would actually seize up if I had to walk into a busy environment. I used to hyperventilate to the point lf almost passing out and get pins and needles in my face, so much so that I thought I was having a stroke, but I wasn't.

Dan Wales
21-01-15, 20:19
Don't give up. You will get through this. Have you been to see your doc? Or do you have someone you can talk to about how you feel?Do you know what situations trigger the attacks? I haven't had one for years, but I used to be too scared to leave the house and sometimes my legs would actually seize up if I had to walk into a busy environment. I used to hyperventilate to the point lf almost passing out and get pins and needles in my face, so much so that I thought I was having a stroke, but I wasn't.

Saw my doctor today. I have been referred to the mental health team and given sleeping tablets. A few things triggered the attack today. I just want a panic attack free life.

Katki
21-01-15, 20:29
It may sound stupid but deep breathing from your stomach a few times tells your adrenal gland to STOP. I visit an osteopath who is really knowledgable about the nervous system. He says to lay on your back, hands on your stomach, tilt your pelvis slightly up and breathe in deeply filling up the stomach. You should do this as much as possible throughout the day. When you've been panicky deep breathing feels strange at first but keep at it. Relax your stomach muscles.

ninnie
21-01-15, 20:36
It may sound stupid but deep breathing from your stomach a few times tells your adrenal gland to STOP. I visit an osteopath who is really knowledgable about the nervous system. He says to lay on your back, hands on your stomach, tilt your pelvis slightly up and breathe in deeply filling up the stomach. You should do this as much as possible throughout the day. When you've been panicky deep breathing feels strange at first but keep at it. Relax your stomach muscles.

Yep deep breathing makes a huge difference.:yesyes:

evanruden
22-01-15, 14:02
Ninnie, any tips that helped you get over your symptoms?

matchesss
22-01-15, 14:23
This may sound weird, but if you are having a panic attack at home or somewhere where there's a fairly clean sink - my doctors used to tell me to fill the sink with very cold water when I had really bad panic attacks and couldn't breathe anymore, and submerge my face in it for a few seconds, so I had to stop breathing in, and my breathing rate would gradually go down, then do it again and again. It helped me relieve the acute symptoms a bit, not sure if it will help anybody else.

Going to the doctors, a therapist you can confide in is a great first step. It takes time, but give it time, it's worth it!

Dan Wales
22-01-15, 16:00
This may sound weird, but if you are having a panic attack at home or somewhere where there's a fairly clean sink - my doctors used to tell me to fill the sink with very cold water when I had really bad panic attacks and couldn't breathe anymore, and submerge my face in it for a few seconds, so I had to stop breathing in, and my breathing rate would gradually go down, then do it again and again. It helped me relieve the acute symptoms a bit, not sure if it will help anybody else.

Going to the doctors, a therapist you can confide in is a great first step. It takes time, but give it time, it's worth it!

Thank you for the advice. I will give it ago.

RubyToo
22-01-15, 16:10
Hi Dan, hope things are better today (just read this after sending message, sorry). Cant offer any useful advice I'm afraid as for me my new dog helped, sounds daft I know but she knows when they are starting - not for everyone though I know.

hoping the team and meds make you feel better - have you tried any of the self help books? I am reading a good one at the moment,
take care.