PDA

View Full Version : Getting off omeprazole, worried about vitamin deficiency

Nighttime pacer
21-01-15, 23:17
Hi all

I've been on omeprazole for about 7 years now. I really want to get off it but when I try I get bad reflux. I've had 3 endoscopies the first showed mild gastritis which is why I was put on omeprazole. The other 2 have been fine. I do worry about being on it for life as I've read about magnesium and calcium and b12 deficiency caused by it and also that it can mask reflux symptoms, I don't want to just carry on and then end up with cancer of the oesophagus or massive problem due to vitamin deficiency.

Has anyone on here successfully weaned themselves off it?

I'm on 20mg once a day at the moment, I have taken as much as 30mg in the past and as little as 10mg also.
I just don't feel like I digest food as well as I should or as quickly as I should.
I had my gallbladder out 19 years ago.
I hate being on longterm medication as I'm only 40 now.
I've had a blood test which showed low vitamin d, I wonder if that is connected.

Sorry for the moan.

Thanks for reading.
Nighttime Pacer

LauraWoo84
21-01-15, 23:24
Hey nighttime pacer

Don't apologise it's not a moan. Have you spoken to your doctor about coming off the medication?

I am glad someone else out there is online tonight feeling quite panicky. Muscles are over spasming and I'm tired but too scared to fall asleep.

Nighttime pacer
21-01-15, 23:40
Hi Laura
Sorry that your muscles are spasming, that sounds awful. It does seem that when you've got health anxiety our bodies and brains go into overdrive as soon as we try and go to sleep.
Thanks for leaving a comment.
I have spoken to my gastroenterologist and he says the pills are not a problem long term although I've read lots of studies saying they are.
A new GP at my practice said it would be a good idea to try and get off them.
I think I'll see her and see if she can tell me how to do it and also whether it's worth seeing another gastroenterlogist with some more up to date knowledge.
I'm happy to totally change my lifestyle and diet if it'll help.
Nighttime Pacer

LauraWoo84
22-01-15, 19:58
I suffer with inflammatory bowel disease and had acid reflux or believed I had acid reflux and was put on ranitidine but I was convinced it was causing pain in my diaphragm so I reduced the amount and slowly weaned myself off it as I'm convinced the reflux is due to anxiety. Drinking plenty of water, eating healthier and walking more helps a lot. Also raising your head above your stomac level will help too.

Nighttime pacer
23-01-15, 01:36
Hi Laura
I've already got the head of my bed raised. I think I'll see another gastroenterologist and try and come up with a healthy eating exercise (maybe lose a couple of pounds) plan. At least then I'll feel like I'm in control.
I'm sure it must be possible to eat right and exercise more and then not have reflux. If I still do then I'll go back on the pills, but want to try and claim control back now.
Thanks
Nighttime Pacer