PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety,insomnia and returning to work. HELP NEEDED

Theincrowd
22-01-15, 09:45
Hi all,

I have followed the stories here from afar and the words and experiences described have really helped me. I posted a few months ago, but essentially my story is that while working as an expat in a developing country, which included lots of stress, I became very sick with a stomach infection and due to poor access to healthcare started to have terrible anxiety on top of the physical symptoms of the infection. That was in August when I inadequately describe what happened as a "nervous breakdown".

Since then I have been off work and had a rollorcoaster of a time "trying" to recover. This has meant being at home alone a lot of the time as friends and family are at work, which has been tough, and days where the anxiety and tension in my body made simple tasks difficult. When I last wrote I had four main problems of palpitations, dizziness, insomnia and lack of confidence. As time as progressed I have felt myself improving very slowly, with the key things being accepting the uncomfortable feelings and pushing myself to do things despite bodily sensation, and anxiety of the consequences.

Where I am now is that I have rid myself of the constant dizziness and palpitations mainly through acceptance and practicing meditation everyday (shout out to the Jon Kabat Zinn Mindfulness course from the book Full Catastrophe Living - hard at first but relatively effective). I have not taken any medications. What I have been left with and been struggling with all along is insomnia, getting either fitful sleep every night or getting around 4-6 hours of broken sleep, always with quite vivid dreams (which I know is a symptom of both anxiety and depression). The accompanying tiredness badly impacts my confidence. One of my theories is that the lack of activity and stimulation is playing into the insomnia as when I have pushed myself I have slept slightly better (but never well) - this is also the view of my therapist who is positive about a return to work - but I am unsure.

My dilemma now is I have been offered a great job, starting very soon, but the combination of still struggling with sleep and the lack of confidence from not working means I am nervous about taking it and failing and falling back again. Does anyone have any insights about whether with what I describe I am ready for work? Or battled insomnia but still made the return to work and things improved? Help and advice greatly appreciated.

theincrowd

Lyn89
22-01-15, 17:25
Take it!! Working gives you confidence, purpose, distraction and the busy day we anxiety sufferers need to keep our minds off its horrible symptoms. Keep doing all the techniques you're doing, they seem to be helping, but you need something else to occupy your mind other than this anxiety. I thought I wouldn't be able to work-- I felt the worst ive ever felt a whole month before my job started. But I wouldn't have ever recovered without it. Honest truth. I don't think you will regret it :)

jimsmrs
23-01-15, 14:14
Hi
I was like you after a stomach virus a couple of years ago, I was left with Chronic fatigue syndrome. Then came the anxiety/depression, I dreaded bedtime cause when I did sleep I had really bad nightmares. I agree with Lyn89. You need a distraction from this horrible illness, and the more you put your life on hold the more you feed the anxiety.

The people who offered you the job must have confidence in you, so dig deep and find the confidence to take the job.

And well done for achieving where you've got to without medication:hugs:

Theincrowd
24-01-15, 15:31
Thanks for the replies. In my heart I know getting out and about will be better than trying to create my own structure around the day. I am sometimes just so low energy in the day (even with nothing but leisure) that I am worried if I will take job then I will add stress and breakdown again. Is anyone on the board working with depression/anxiety and can share tips for what helps them cope in individual moments that are challenging?

mermaid
24-01-15, 16:00
I find going to work helps to distract me from all the nasty symptoms of anxiety. It's a struggle to get up and ready but once I get to work I don't notice the symptoms as much.
My main problem is nausea so I usually take an anti sickness tablet just before I go to work which helps. I try to take regular breaks and keep hydrated. By the end of my work day I am very tired but my anxiety has gone and I feel very pleased with myself for getting through the day.
I am just getting over a tum upset so I know exactly how you feel.

Mermaid

Lyn89
24-01-15, 18:05
Believe it or not the low energy thing can be thinking about it too much as well. My energy levels boosted instantly when I started working because I wasn't thinking about how tired I was all the time. I was getting on with it. Most people I know have only felt better when they started working. It's unfortunate that you had a breakdown during your last job, but that's over and gone now and doesn't mean this job will be bad for you. I can guarantee it will be better for you than being at home all the time. Give it a try, it may save your life like work saved mine :)