PDA

View Full Version : smoke/burning smell in nose!!

flutterbuy
22-01-15, 18:34
hi guys, i have been 18 months recovered from health anxiety which i suffered severely for 2 years, following a miscarriage over new year and the fact doctors didnt tell me how bad a miscarriage can be (i was told bleeding no heavier then a heavy period and period type cramps) i infact went through 4 hours of labour contractions and very very heavy bleeding, it has left me with health anxiety again, im not doing to bad in the sense that im not running to gp eevry day (lol) and managing it and living a relatively normal life however one symptom has got hold of me a little, a few nights ago i suddenly got a smoke/wood burning typ smell in my nose it kept coming and going and it was quite strong, out of curiosity as i found it really odd i had a look online to find out what it was when i came acroos a post of someone saying people with brain tumors and brain hemerages often get a burning type smell in their nose! i flipped into sheer panic and rang out of hours who told me not to worry, nope that didnt work off the phone to them and straight on the phone to ambulance who again told me it is a symptom of a brain tumor (he didnt mention hemerage) but in the late stages and id of noticed other symptoms before now and he was sure i was ok and advised i saw my gp, which i did the next day, she said it wasnt at all connected but i know it is and was confirmed by the clinicion but anyhow she checked me over and wasnt worried, she did say inside my nose was red and congested which i knew anyway as have had on off sinus issues for some time now and its currently playing up a little, anyway its started again tonight and sent me into a bit of a pnaic again im using cbt skills that i have learnt and trying not to pick up the phone again hence posting on here, any how has any had in particular a wood burning/smoke type smell in there nose that has come and gone every few breaths you take?? its a symptom im really struggling with :( i have done so well to recover from this with out meds or cbt (i had cbt for something else) and i dont want to fall into the traps and severe anxiety of health anxiety im trying to allow the fear to be there and trying to rationalise but i cant when a clincian confirmed it is a symptom albeit one of a late stage tumor, so has anyone had the same smell before it seems to be deep in the nose, thank you xx

Carnation
22-01-15, 18:44
I strangely have this and I have got sinus issues too. I never looked it up on 'Google', because I have banned myself from doing that. It is definitely a sure way of putting even more fear in to your head.
Now, logically, I have had this smell/sensation for a year now and I am still Alive. I never even thought about a Brain Tumor or Hemerage. I have however been checked out and the Doc said I was ok. So, that leaves me to believe that it is either a 'Sinus Issue' or good ol' Anxiety rearing it's ugly head to scare us.
I would be interested to find out if any other members have had this 'Smell Sensation'? Like you said, it's like wood burning or dead ashes smell. Lasts a few minutes with me and then goes away. But, it is very strong.:ohmy:

flutterbuy
22-01-15, 18:54
hi carnation, thank you for your reply, i didnt connect it either and although it made me feel weird i was more curious and had to google to just see as it was such and odd thing to happen, i did come across a man who had posted on a site about the same thing and also said he had congestion in his nose etc and what with what you have said it is making me wonder if it is actually a sinus issue? god knows? but it is scary! this man said his doctors were baffled and wernt sure what it was but it seems odd we have sinus/congestion issues too.
yes thats exactly it, its a strong smell, wood burning/smoke smell and only lasted a maximum of 10 minutes but it wasnt with every nasal inhale id say every 5 or 6 maybe then it went and tonight its happened a few times but not as strong, its so odd :shrug: xx

Carnation
22-01-15, 19:46
Mind you, Anxiety can make you smell things that are not there, hear things that are not there and see things that are not there! The problem is that we wonder if this Anxiety or Sinus? Or something else. I will do some investigating and ask around. :unsure:

flutterbuy
22-01-15, 20:03
Very true carnation, anxiety certainly can! its amazing to think of everything anxiety can actually do! Its baffling as to what the cause is and very interesting so do let me know if you find anything out about it please hun :) and I'll do the same :) xx

Carnation
23-01-15, 16:37
There is another Thread on here about constantly smelling 'Bacon'. :)

flutterbuy
23-01-15, 19:45
Really? Is it easy to find hun? Xx

Carnation
23-01-15, 19:52
Yes, it's called 'Smelling Bacon'. I have just posted, so it will appear in the Active posts in the last hour. :)

flutterbuy
24-01-15, 18:31
His carnation, thank you :) the smell is back today and of course setting off anxiety, I have had pain iny nose today and pressure so maybe simuses, I don't but it's weird! So fed up with it xx

Carnation
24-01-15, 19:20
I have mine periodically. I think it could be a 'Sinus' thing. I'm still asking around, but I'll let you know if I find out anything. :)

flutterbuy
24-01-15, 19:42
me too carnation, not found much yet though lol xx

cattia
24-01-15, 21:30
Hi,
Just wanted to say that I also went through this a couple of years ago. Strangely, it always happened when I woke in the middle of the night, and it wasn't always the same smell, but quite often it was burning. It was very strong. Like you, I googled and freaked out, spent months fretting and trying to persuade my Dr to send me for brain scans, but he was convinced it was nothing. I don't remember how I finally broke the cycle but I guess in the end another anxiety came along and took its place! I still go through phases of waking to odd smells, although it hasn't happened in quite a long time. It bothers me less now, as I figure in tow years I would have developed more symptoms. EVERYTHING on google was very scary I have to say! Interestingly, I also have chronic sinus issues.
Also, I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I went through one early last year and it's a hard and horrible thing to deal with. It isn't at all surprising that it triggered anxiety for you xx