PDA

View Full Version : chocolate?

dave11282
11-01-07, 20:02
does anyone find chocolate adds to their anxiety?

a lot of references say it is full of good ingredients which can help with depression etc...

this link

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1603927.htm

contradicts all that, ahh these health studies, all so confusing,

I enjoy the odd treat, but it does seem to trigger headaches for me

Dave

nomorepanic
11-01-07, 20:04
Don't forget it has caffeine in it so that can cause headaches.

I am not a typical woman and hardly ever eat it LOL.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Slothette
11-01-07, 20:12
Hiya

Chocolate contains caffeine which is a stimulant. This means that in an already anxious person it could stimulate the adrenal glands to produce more adrenaline. Remember its the adrenaline in the body that gives the feelings of anxiety.

I reckon if you eat enough of the stuff it might make you more anxious. I know if I eat it say with a cup of coffee, it definately makes me more jittery. This could be a combination of the caffeine in the coffee and the chocolate.

Unlike Nicola, I'm a typical woman. I'd live on the stuff if I could!!:D

Lexxie

honeybee3939
11-01-07, 20:31
Hi

I love chocolate, although i do know its bad for you!

As a matter of fact this was the first post i read when i came online, because it was titled "Chocolate", ohhh i must be addicted ![:I]

love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Rennie1989
11-01-07, 20:47
If you are tired, like from a panic attack, then it is a good way to get some sugar into the body to awken it.

As the others say, chocolate contains caffine whuch can cause anxiety (and shaking) to become worse.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

debstar
11-01-07, 21:58
Some days I do find that chocolate adds to the anxiety. I love chocolate and I have cut back alot since the anxiety. I also find that Coca Cola is worse than chocolate for anxiety so I don't drink this anymore.

Deb

Krakers
11-01-07, 22:47
Hi Dave, no-ones mentioned sugar in a negative light yet. You should also make sure you know just how much refined sugar you're eating. Sugar can effect your mood as it rapidly changes levels internally in your body in response to a high intake.

Have a look at this BBC report on a study done by MIND. Sugar tops the list of Stressors, followed by cafeine, alcohol and then chocolate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2264529.stm

Krakers.

groovygranny
12-01-07, 00:08
Hi Dave!

Chocolate (and red wine!) is a dietry staple for granny [:P][Yeah!]! But you're right, it can make things worse (been there dun that!) if you OD on it.

My counsellor told me to avoid it before going to bed (so no more hot chocolate at bedtime for me [V][Sigh...]!)

BUT..........granny's philosophy is still 'A little of what you fancy does you good' !! So I suppose 'moderation' is the operative word here.

lotsa choccy luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

dave11282
12-01-07, 06:52
ggranny,

yep, I agree, the obvious way to create a craving is to deny oneself, so a little portion is good idea.

I was stressed and had those initial runaway anxiety signs yesterday at work, I had a few squares of dairy milk at t break, and I did feel less stressed. Perhaps like others are saying it is the sugar fix too that we go for.

I found it interesting that some say there is the rebound effect, where after the initial boost to certain brain chemicals (endorphines, dopamine etc), there is then the 'down side', where one can feel worse (from a neurotransmitter perspective).

I am a big believer in this neurotransmitter theory. I believe that psychoactive substances in coffee, choc, wine etc can interfere with our delicate chemical balance in the brain. It is when this imbalance occurs, we experience greater fear, anxiety, stress

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/a7339e1294987

this is a good pdf on those neurotransmitters,

regards

Dave

groovygranny
12-01-07, 09:02
Hi Dave!

Just had a look at the file................well, I read the first two paragraphs about 20 times and I'm working on the diagram now [:P][Duh!]lol....

Seriously though, it really does look very intersting so I shall persevere with it...........may need a couple of glasses or six to get me through it though hehe!

Thanks for the link

lotsa luv

GG[:P]

xx

cazza
12-01-07, 16:39
Hi avoid it before bedtime and try to eat the 70% cocoa one its much better for you and you dont eat so much of it as its rich:D

SAM21
12-01-07, 17:39
hi dave,

choclate most defineitly isnt good for anxiety.

check this site its very good in explainig why
http://www.teachhealth.com/pickmeups.html

quote from site
"CAUTION: USING PICK-ME-UP'S TO BATTLE OVERSTRESS IS A BAD IDEA!!! THEY DON'T WORK FOR LONG, AND THEY CAUSE PROBLEMS.....The following information is meant to help you understand why this is so......"

pick me ups include caffeine chocolate n many more....

sam

dave11282
12-01-07, 21:22
gg,

lol,

I do miss a dam good glass of vino, but I just cant do that rebound effect the following 24/48hrs

Sam21,

thanks for link,

I have the odd peace of choc, but I do realise, for me, that it can add to my anxiety.

Phill2
13-01-07, 09:44
Really strange guys cause I find it helps me sleep
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

PhantasyStar
13-01-07, 12:07
Hi,

I've been reading this thread with interest because only a few weeks i read this news report:

A new study reveals that eating a few squares of dark chocolate every day can improve heart health. Researchers at Johns Hopkins University and Bloomberg School of Public Health found that a chemical in cocoa beans has a similar biochemical effect to aspirin and can reduce the likelihood of blood clotting. Previous research had already shown this effect with much larger quantities of dark chocolate, which has high levels of antioxidants called flavonoids.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/chocolate.htm

It seems there's a big difference between dark and white chocolate.

groovygranny
13-01-07, 13:04
[:P][:P][:P][Yeah!]

Dark Choc is my favourite -the darker the better - just the news I was waiting to hear :) Here's an extract from the link:

" Chocolate -- not white chocolate or milk chocolate -- is good for you. There is no question that chocolate procures pleasure for those who eat it. - Never feel guilty again!

If you enjoy chocolate, eat a little daily - but make it the dark kind."

Thanks PhantasyStar - you've just made granny's day lol !!! (don't suppose you could find a link extolling the virtues of red wine [?] !!)

lotsa luv

xx

PhantasyStar
13-01-07, 13:08
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

Thanks PhantasyStar - you've just made granny's day lol !!! (don't suppose you could find a link extolling the virtues of red wine [?] !!)

</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

lol, i can just hear your granny say "he's a very nice man, a very very nice man...."

I'm Italian, so i can safely say that Red wine is also good for you, im small quantities mind ! :D

groovygranny
13-01-07, 13:14
This is turning out to be a VERY good day for GG !! :):):):):)

I'm now dreaming of a very large glass of Italian Merlot - oh joy!!

Don't worry.............only dreaming!!

Better go, I'll be getting a reputation lol !!

lotsa luv

xx

Meg
13-01-07, 14:43
SUGAR !!

A sugar hit can mimic symptoms of anxiety and panic- both too much sugar at once and when the body has used that immediate energy and is planning what to do next wondering whether you're going to hit it with more ..

Chocolate does also have the caffiene stimulant as well as the lovely endorphins that help you sleep Julip..

Much depends on the quantity eaten at once and where is fits in with your meal cycle..

Alcohol is high in sugar so as well as teh alcohol you have the added sugar symptoms to contend with.

When I was acute I stopped all alcohol and sugar completely for 2-3 months and slowly reintroduced them as I receovered and had no further trouble

Hypogly
Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)
sugar addiction and our moods. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6908)
Low GI foods and furit juice! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7553)

Meg

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

groovygranny
13-01-07, 22:08
Ouch! That was the sound of granny falling off her cloud [8)][Oops!] !!

xx

Phill2
14-01-07, 10:18
I eat dark chocolate covered ginger before bed to help sleep and the ginger helps with gas and reflux
Phill
PS I don't have any other form of catteine whatsoever.
I wonder what a can of Red Bull would do to us?

Don't believe everything you think.

groovygranny
14-01-07, 18:01
Probably this: [xx(][}:)][xx(][}:)][xx(][}:)][xx(] !!

It's quite nice with vodka,.........and before anybody says anything it was months ago I tried one [^] but as I don't want all the extra adrenalin sloshing around I stick to good old vino thank you!! [8)] Tried dark choc covered ginger.........[Ugh][xx(] no thanks, each to his own jullip you carry on!!

lotsa luv

xx

Insomniac
15-01-07, 22:08
Hi there. I have to say I do find that when I give in to eating chocolate I am more likely to suffer with anxiety. It does contain caffeine, but I think its the sugar rush and low that affect me so much.

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

groovygranny
15-01-07, 22:16
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to say how much I like your signature Lisa :)

How very true!

lotsa luv

xx