PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to feel after Doc appointment today

Hypomania
23-01-15, 22:12
Lately I've been worried about some ongoing symptoms I've been suffering on and off for the last 3 years. Globus sensation primarily on the left side, throat clearing, scratchy feeling on the left side etc. I went to a doctor to ask about the possibility of throat cancer.

He felt my neck and didn't seem concerned, but sent me for an ultrasound because I told him I found a moveable lump on my neck, and also referred me to have an endoscopy done to look at my throat.

I asked him whether or not my fears of throat cancer are reasonable given my age (29), and lack of other symptoms (no difficulty breathing or swallowing, no sore throats, no coughing up blood etc) and that the length of time I've had the symptoms without them getting worse. He basically said it'd be more worrisome if I did have those signs, and that these symptoms don't always indicate cancer.

But he didn't say I was crazy to think I had cancer and didn't really tell me what he thought it was. Plus the fact that he wants me to get the tests makes me a little worried; if he thought it was nothing, he wouldn't have ordered them, right? Again, he didnt seem alarmed, so I don't really know what to feel right now.

hypoguy
23-01-15, 22:39
Sometimes a lot of the docs will order tests to calm the patients' mind. (At least in my country and the healthcare system is very similar in Canada as far as I could tell.)

wnsos
23-01-15, 23:32
yeah i reckon he's giving you the tests for peace of mind! maybe to curb the anxiety. so your next step is to trust him and to believe the test results when you get them. :hugs: i was convinced i had something wrong with my thyroid (cancer etc) in summer and the doctor didn't feel anything wrong (even though i had a stubborn globus that wouldn't go away) but i didn't believe him so he booked a neck/thyroid u/s for me.

popejoan
24-01-15, 00:59
What were you gonna do/feel if he didn't refer you for any tests and sent you home? Everybody is different. One doctor felt this lump I have in my leg and said she has no idea what that is and told me to go back and see her in 2 weeks. Maybe your doctor is not really a reassuring kind of person? Some doctors just look at you the whole time and don't say much.

Hypomania
24-01-15, 02:26
What were you gonna do/feel if he didn't refer you for any tests and sent you home? Everybody is different. One doctor felt this lump I have in my leg and said she has no idea what that is and told me to go back and see her in 2 weeks. Maybe your doctor is not really a reassuring kind of person? Some doctors just look at you the whole time and don't say much.

That's a good question. I guess I'm like George Constanza in that I always want my doctors to say either "cancer or not cancer!" But on the other hand it's entirely possible that if he didn't give me the option to get tests that I would be knocking on his door a week later begging for them. I just hate the possibility that I can have cancer with these symptoms. Driving me crazy.