PDA

View Full Version : So you think our have Cancer?

cpe1978
24-01-15, 07:39
When I was at the heart of HA I used to try and find anything for reassurance. One of the most successful things I found was statistics, in the sense that it at least applied some logic.

As I have said before, the media would have you believe that Cancer is common, and in the sense that it is one of the most likely things for you to die from then yes it is, but ultimately something has to get us eventually and Cancer is typically a disease of old age.

Last year in the UK around 330000 people wre diagnosed with cancer. Bear in mind that 50% of those survived longer than five years,, and of the 50% who didn't, a number will have died of something different due to old age. So even taking those crude statistics the statistical chance of dying from cancer is less than one in 500 in the next year. When you factor in that the major demographic on this forum is people in middle age of younger, the odds drop substantially. Imagine having a dice with 1000 or so sides, how long would it take for you to roll a 6? Yes of course it happens, but I wiuldnt put money on a 1000:1 bet, so why is it worth investing 90% of life worrying about it?

SarahH
24-01-15, 08:16
Ha ha ha good point.... but I am 50....so statistically.....:doh:

cpe1978
24-01-15, 08:26
Still thoroughly unlikely ;)

pulisa
24-01-15, 08:33
Mostly it's all random though isn't it? That's what we don't like-living with uncertainty?

cpe1978
24-01-15, 08:41
Yep, although I do think there is an awful lot to be said for eating reasonably well, exercising and not smoking. Even if it was entirely random, my point is that it is far less common than people believe.