PDA

View Full Version : Think i'm going to die.....

tymcintosh
02-09-04, 04:51
Hi i'm new to this forum and wanted to know if i'm alone in how I feel. Six months ago at work had my first panic attack, I work on the phone as a sales operator. As I was talking to the customer I suddenly became hot and felt faint my heart began to race and needed to get out. My manager took the call from me and I went home, later that evening I felt chest pain and got very worried so I went to the accident and emergency at the hospital. I had an ECG and chest X-Ray and blood tests but everything was clear. I then felt ok for a couple of days but again began to get chest pain and went to the doctors he prescribed cipralex for anxiety. Its now been 6 weeks since ive been back to work coz i'm so scared of that same situation, I don't think that the medication is working and i'm permanantly on edge. I cannot even sit and watch a film coz I concentrate on my heartbeat and await my next pain, I have trouble sleeping, i'm so scared i'm going to die, has anyone else had symtoms like these and has anyone got over it? Alcohol is the only thing that makes me forget about and feel nearly normal. I'm so depressed and at my wits end I feel like there is no escape....please HELP!!!

lainey
02-09-04, 09:53
Hi Ty

When you describe the symptoms you had at you first PA it was as if I had written it about myself, mine started 6 months ago. All the symptoms you describe are typical symptoms of anxiety, I can honestly say although I get good days and bad days, the bad days are slowly diminishing. I like you turn to alcohol to help me relax but alcohol can exacerbate the symptoms of anxiety and make you feel worse the next day, not fair eh ! Relaxation is a good therapy as is exercise and a healthy diet. Although it is hard you must remember that none of these symptoms are life threatening, it is just the way your body is reacting to that nasty panic monster ! Have you been back to the GP since he first prescribed cipralex to tell him how you feel, some times a chat with the GP helps to put your mind at ease, have you read all the good tips on this wonderful website as they have certainly helped me. You should read Nicola's story.

take care chuck

Elaine x

Meg
02-09-04, 17:40
Hi ,

We've mostly all been there and are all still here .Its was originaly adrenaline that got your heart racing and then you learnt to work yourself up.

You might get some benefit from some betablockers which are often prescribed for anxiety. They stop the heart racing so much . Has it raced much since that day ?

You won't die from this , your heart is too well made . hearts don't just stop .

** Its now been 6 weeks since ive been back to work coz i'm so scared of that same situation **

If you are physically able to go back to work apart from your heart rate concern you could ring your manager at work and ask to go and visit and sit at work - no calls - and get used to being back in that environment.
Avoiding that place if definately not an answer but equally you don't have to take on it all at once - work and facing your fear so experiment . It will be uncomfortable to start with but don't head for the door- sit quietly until it passes - which it will. Take someone with you if you think that wil help and they can be just be outside for moral support .

As for meds - can take 3- 6 week usually to kick in .

Alcohol is no help , it just makes it worse .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

tymcintosh
02-09-04, 18:51
Hi Meg,

Thank you for your information and support, today is the best i've felt for weeks because i've been on here reading about people with the same condition as me. I have tried some betablockers but i had a full blown panic attack the first time i took them so I was scared to take them again.
**Has it raced much since that day ?**
yes every time i sit down i start to concentrate on my heart beat and it begins to race then i get hot and worry. I have been back to work a couple of times just to see about returning but i get anxieous just going in not even doing my job. Could my condition be to do with drugs????

Ty

Meg
02-09-04, 19:04
Do you mean the prescribed drugs for anxiety or something else?
Initially SSRI's can make you feel worse as you settle on them.

With the betablockers - you probably felt some change in your heart rate and that sent you off on a panic. They will not have caused it.

but i get anxieous just going in not even doing my job

Yes you will feel anxious , thats totally normal but you could stay a bit longer in the room where you usually work and wait till it passes.

every time i sit down i start to concentrate on my heart beat Find something to distract you so you prove to yourself over some time that it keeps going just fine both when you're not aware and when you are aware.

Abdominal breathing will lower your heart rate and calm you down .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

sal
02-09-04, 19:51
Hi Ty

I have been exactly where you have been feeling like i am going to die. Cant sit still, pace the floor, cant sleep at night or slow down my thoughts in my head. Medication seemed to make me worse and i tried so many that i eventually believed i was going to never get better and only get worse, this lasted for ages, but with another medication i did improve. Dont get me wrong i still get bad days quite often but when i look back to how i was it scares me how bad i felt.

Alcohol was my saving grace and unfortunately still is, i know it isnt the answer but it was my only way of calming down on an evening and actually managing to get some sleep.

Love Sal xxxxx

tymcintosh
02-09-04, 20:29
i know alcohol isn't the answer (he says with beer in hand) but it stops my over thinking and concentration. I've heard that regular exercise is good for the chest pains and i have joined the gym i just haven't got the confidence to go. i need to force myself cos i know i'll feel better.
This site has really helped me though all you good people with great advise and understanding, thanks. i'm actually having a good day just feeling a bit tired after last nights helping.

Ty