PDA

View Full Version : high level of anxiety

melvin
24-01-15, 17:57
Hi guys
I wonder if anyone can give me any advice I went to see a counc/phycologist and she said with my symptoms I'm at the highest end of anxiety my question is how do I get out of this I have soon many symptoms
Dizziness
Going hot
Feel I'm loseing the plot mainly I am also starting a cbt couse soon although I have been on a few before
I know thoughts =body symptoms and then we worry about the body symptoms so how do we control our thoughts how do other people out there do it
I go swimming and gym most days and I work self employed so I'm pretty busy I suppose all these body symptoms set my anxiety off big time as well as thoughts

Cherryade
24-01-15, 18:18
How do you feel when you are swimming or at the gym? Calm and not anxious? If so, you must remember this when you are feeling anxious ie 'I was at the gym today and felt fine. This is my anxiety making me feel unwell.' Then try to do something to take your mind off your anxiety. I find either doing something mindless like computer games or going for a brisk walk helps. Anything to detract. Even having a conversation with someone will help.

melvin
24-01-15, 18:38
Hi cherryaid
I still get intrusive thoughts regardless I drive around working and certain thoughts just come into my mind even when I'm swimming I have been cleaning up before and I heard a woman's voice come into my head now that did freak me out I can tell you so I try not to let my mind go blank if you know what I mean I can't understand it I have no money worries or real health worries realy I should be happy and enjoying life

Ange1
24-01-15, 23:46
When I was really anxious I always believed that it was about controlling thoughts like they are something outside of my body. It was only when I realised that it is me that is producing them so therefore I can stop them. The secret is to not let them form in the first place. When I was driving and they started I would say stop and turn the radio up loud and sing lol. When swimming I would let my imagination focus on taking me somewhere exotic or do boring accounts in my head. I would even do silly things like try to remember all the celebrities in a tv reality show that was on or counting up all the days until a certain event. Stopping the thoughts in their tracks and taking your focus elsewhere is the key. X

Charlotteee89
26-01-15, 01:22
It's all about the mind, your mind (thoughts) is producing the physical symptoms.

It's all about getting control of your thoughts and not allowing them to bother you, especially intrusive thoughts. You are going to get the thoughts regardless but once you stop giving them power they'll phase away.

It's really hard! It takes a lot of mental strength to not allow the thoughts to affect you. When I was seeing a Therapist she concentrated on my reactions to the thoughts, if I don't react to them then the physical and more intensive thoughts won't come. The more you react the more intense your anxiety will be.

CBT should help you a lot, I also found doing my own research on anxiety/intrusive thoughts really helped, it made me see things more rationally and that my thoughts are just anxiety and I'm not going mad. I still struggle daily with anxiety and intrusive thoughts and it is really hard to know what's anxiety and what isn't, but it's how I react to these thoughts is what matters the most.

In the meantime just carry on keeping yourself busy, boredom is anxiety's best friend.

melvin
26-01-15, 19:02
Thank you for your replys everyone much appreciated