PDA

View Full Version : Convinced myself im going blind :(

So
24-01-15, 18:07
I'm so stupid..

I have been slowly getting more and more worried that I'm going to lose my eyesight and it's scaring me so much I feel sick constantly. I am using my phone and laptop about 8 hours a day and (obviously) this makes my eyes very tired, blurry and really unable to focus on things far away. But I'm now really scared for some reason I'm going slowly blind because they constantly feel blurry and 'out of focus' like I can't concentrate on things.

But I can't tell if it's my anxiety making me imagine this And I'm actually fine, or I really do have something wrong with my eyes :( I had my eyesight checked 2 years ago and they said apart from a slight astigmatism in one eye I have near perfect vision. When I don't think about it I'm fine.

What do you guys think? Any advice or reassurance would really put my mind at rest.

Fishmanpa
24-01-15, 18:52
I am using my phone and laptop about 8 hours a day and (obviously) this makes my eyes very tired, blurry and really unable to focus on things far away.

There you go! That would affect anyone's eyes. It would be prudent to get an eye exam and lay off the phone and laptop too ;)

Positive thoughts

popejoan
24-01-15, 19:01
Anxiety does cause blurred vision as your pupils dilate when anxious. I have astigmatism so wear glasses, I have blurry vision anyway and when my anxiety was very very bad I thought I was going blind as well because even with the glasses my vision was too blurry. Focus on your anxiety, not on your vision. I also had sensitivity to light, wanted to wear sunglasses all the time, felt like a vampire.

You also said when you don't think about it you're fine because anxiety is causing it.

I would recommend you to try to calm yourself. Drink chamomile tea, maybe take lemon balm tablets, take relaxing baths, focus on your breathing as have slow deep breaths. Maybe talk to your Gp and ask them to prescribe you some anti-anxiety meds.

Believe me, your are not going blind. You can always have your eyes checked for a piece of mind, maybe all you need is new glasses and a little bit reassurance?

So
24-01-15, 20:29
Thankyou both so much for replying, I always feel tons better after reading reassuring and helpful answers :)

I don't currently wear glasses.... Not sure if I need to? I definitely think laying off using my phone and laptop so much would help and you're right my anxiety has a huge part to play! Thanks for making me look at things more rationally.

I think an eye exam would be best so I can get peace of mind. I was putting it off because I kept thinking what if they tell me I have a disease and I'm going to go blind or something seruous along those lines :doh:

I also remind myself that last month I was convinced I was going deaf so I jnow im just overthinking everything!! Ahh typical brain haha x

crystal17
24-01-15, 21:38
I would agree with the others who have replied, its that computer screen! ;) it really messes with your eyes when it's for continuous periods.

Get the eye test, I was scared I was going blind for years, it ruined parts of my life and I spent so much time looking for evidence of eye-related problems. I avoided getting a test for the same reason as you, that they would find something.

I made myself go in the end and it was all good, except that I need glasses for cinema/long distance reading.

You would feel so proud of yourself for going :) just make the appointment, that is the first step.

anthrokid
25-01-15, 00:08
I think it would be a great idea to go for an eye test :) Not because I think you are going blind at all, but because I think staring at a computer/phone screen all day will definitely cause some strain on your eyes and glasses can be really beneficial in reducing that strain. I am currently writing a thesis, and I definitely notice the difference in my eyes (and my head) when I have been working in front of a screen all day. I have glasses solely for the purpose of reading material on electronic devices, and they definitely make a difference!