PDA

View Full Version : Citilopram journey

Jobo
26-01-15, 11:24
Hi all
apologies if this post goes on twice, but i wasn't sure how to go about how to put my first post on (bit of a worry as I'm a teacher!).

Some background: three years ago I was signed off work with acute anxiety. It seemed to strike out of the blue due to some shocking news I received. I thought that time off and country walks would do the trick, but I just got worse and after a month was put on Citilopram. Felt awful initially and there wasn't really a 'light bulb' moment when I felt better, but after another couple of months went back to work. Still got horrible anxiety symptoms but kept on going and eventually my dose was put up to 30mg. This appeared to make a difference.

Anyway, for the past eighteen months I have been off everything and back to normal - ie overdoing it at work and generally trying to be 'super woman'. But no anxiety symptoms until Christmas when I was hit by a 'tsunami' of stress. I recognised that it was too much and tried to pull back - too late! When I returned to work I just felt I couldn't cope - sleep gone, loss of appetite etc etc. So I went to the doctors and explained my history and that I might as well cut to the chase and go straight back onto the Citilopram. I started at 10mg for the first week and am just at the end of week 2 on 20mg.

I am now in the middle of a 'what the hell have I done? I feel worse? do I push to return to work and just try and distract myself?'. I know that you often feel worse before you feel better.

Really in the need of some reassurance! x

venusbluejeans
26-01-15, 11:30
Hiya Jobo and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

s0phie
27-01-15, 13:23
Hello Jobo,

I have been on citilopram for a while now but i'm on 20mg.
It makes me feel much better and more able to face situations and (Sixth form) school life.

I'm a little bit confused, you feel worse because you've returned to the citilopram? is that because you feel like you've failed?
Anxiety is never an easy journey, and i personally feel that if medications help you feel better, theres no need to feel guilty about it.
Return to work when you feel happy to :)