PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety medication

justinb74
26-01-15, 19:04
Hi, I'm 40 years old and have suffered with severe anxiety since I started getting terrible panic attacks at about 22 which felt like I was having a heart attack. My family's private doctor prescribed men bromazepam, a 6mg pill which you could break into 4 pieces and this seemed to help and took them for a few years. At about 30 I moved to Kent and that private doctor retired. Joined GP practice in Kent but they would not prescribe me any type of benzodiazepines but put me on ant-depressants which didn't help so started drinking every time I'd get bad anxiety which led to me damaging my pancreas. I now buy diazepam from someone I met through another chat room I find that they really help. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Wuboo
27-01-15, 10:25
Using Diazepam from anyone other than your GP isn't a great idea. With anti-depressants it can take up to 4-8wks to full benefit from them and one type may work for me but not for you so it's well worth speaking to your GP and telling him that you want to try something else and tell him about the Diazepam too.

s0phie
27-01-15, 13:12
I take a very low dosage of Citalopram (10mg) and it takes a while to set in, usually for me, about 4 days of religiously taking them.
Benzodiazepines are very strong drugs, and you can feel withdrawals from them. Your GP has your health in mind, so perhaps it's a better idea to switch to the anti-depressants and stick with them for a while and see how you feel.
They don't work for everyone obviously, and if you stick with them and don't work, have another word with your GP about their advice in switching to something a little stronger.
All the best :)

justinb74
27-01-15, 20:59
Thank you for your replies. I have been on anti-depressants for six years and tried three different types. I am currently taking 50mg a day of Setraline and have been taking this for about three years, was on 100mg a day for a while.
I know Benzodiazepines are addictive but when I'm suffering with severe anxiety It's an overwhelming crushing feeling and without them I almost always turn to alcohol which has caused me to lose a third of my pancreas. So for me Diazepam is the lesser of two evils.