PDA

View Full Version : new user, here's my story

confuseddd
12-01-07, 02:41
Hi,

I am been suffereing from anxiety for probably a 3years now. It was never as bad as it is now though. This is my story and it is pretty long but thats because this is prolly the only time i've ever tried to explain how I feel so bear with me. Hopefully you like hearing other people's storys as much as I do

Since my sophomore year of high school I noticed a change in myself. I started paying more attention to what I said, I started worrying more about what people thought of me. I started thinking about whether or not I was going to say the right thing or if I was going to look like an idiot. I noticed what was happening and I figured it was depression so I told my mom, which was extremely hard due to the fact that my parents are very critical.

I even told her to not tell anyone, even my dad because I was worried about how I would be looked at. I was worried that even if I was cured I would still have that "image" of being "different". So payedavisit to a psychiatrist, which my dad actually took me too cuz my mom told him anyways. The psychiatrist pretty much just said that I was sufferening from depression etc. and I never ended up going back. I guess it was mostly my fault for not pushing it at all but I felt stupid, I felt like I wasn't going to be accepted by my dad and I could kinda tell he was uncomfortable about the whole situation. He is one of those, not gonna let anyone kno how I feel, keep things bottled up kinda people.

So time went on and no one really brought anything up about it. My dad would actually use it against me when I would get busted for something. Like it was a punishment or something, it wasn't a "do you think you need to still see the doctor?"indathing. It was more like "how could you do that? there's something wrong with you im gonna make you see that psychiatrist again." He would say it in front of other family members never in front of anyone else tho, thank god. But either way it made me feel like that "different" person. I still don't understand if I was the one wrong here by feeling stupid when he would say stuff like that.

So my mom and dad were the only people that knew that I had seen a psychiatrist or had ever said anything. They were the only people I had told about my problem. You guys would be the third :). So i've gone 3 years now without telling a soul, i've kept everything to myself but yet I manage to think about it almost 24/7.

For the last year and a half though it's gotten muchhhh worse. After the first 1 1/2 years it started getting worse and so I did more research. I found that instead of just generalizing what I had with saying I had depression, I found that it was a kinda of social anxiety.

After everything I say I think if it was stupid comment or not. I think people look at me as if I was wierd, or I dont know what im talking about, or im not fun to talk to. I dont think I am but whenever im in a social situation that kind of thinking is always there, no matter what. I feel like I am trapped. That I can't escape this kinda of thinking and I don't even know how it happened.

I dont mean to brag but this helps me explain where im coming from. I used to be a pretty popular kid throughout all my school years. I was always told I was fun to be around, very charismatic. I had a lot of friends and people would always want to hang out just to be around me. I was never ashamed of who I was, where I was going, what people thought about me. I was just a kid who liked to have fun, I guess in a way thats what could have given me that charismatic personality.

Again, I dont mean to sound conceded, just trying to help everyone understand. So my social life was good, my family life was alright. It wasn't ordinary, I know that for sure. I had my family problems just like everyone else.

Then my Sophomore year of high school hits and things change. I got into a lot of trouble, like every week it was something new. Nothing big like stealing cars or anything, more like just doing some stupid stuff around school like ditching, running from the proctors, just

darkangel
12-01-07, 11:44
Hi confused

Firstly i would like to welcome you to this site. You will find lots of info on here and people with similar issues and hopefully you will find inspiration and learn techniques that others have used to help.

Sometimes just getting your story out is a break through to dealing with this illness. You mentioned thaty apart from your parents, this is the only other place you have told your story - so you must be feeling relieved to get it all out of your system - see that as a positive.

A huge well done for not avoiding social situations - but you are facing up to them and to be honest I think we all fear rejection and being hurt and that is OK to feel like that.

I wish you well and take care

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

manmoor
12-01-07, 11:50
Hi Confused,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

honeybee3939
12-01-07, 11:53
Hi

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.

Take a look at the First Step Pages, you may find them of interest.
First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

yorkylover
12-01-07, 12:56
Hi confused and welcome to no panic.[:P]:)[:P]:)

Ellen XX

kittykat
12-01-07, 12:59
Hi there,

Welcome to the site, you'll get a lot of great advice here and talk to a lot of lovely people.

Take care

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson

trac67
12-01-07, 16:34
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

clickaway
12-01-07, 17:32
Welcome aboard.

Try and accept your condition as much as possible.

Dwelling on it will just make it seem bigger.

Cheers,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

nomorepanic
13-01-07, 17:47
Hi there and a warm welcome aboard.

You will get some great support here and meet some lovely people.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

calmdown
14-01-07, 18:53
Hi confusedd
thanks for telling your story, can really relate to it. Of the anxieties I have developed I have found the social anxiety to be the most difficult to deal with. More so when at work, because the environment was highly social, with frequent internal meetings, client meetings, training etc. When I started experiencing anxiety (several years after being in the industry I was in) I too thought that the more exposure I had, surely the better i would feel, but I didnt and I could not understand why, perhaps it was my reaction to everything and constant negative thinking. Whenever we had a night out I would drive myself mad when i got home, running through scenarios and conversations of the night, over and over and over again in my head, convinced I had said the wrong thing, behaved strangely, not been professional, not been articulate, muddled my words etc etc. I could never sleep after a night out because of this

Since finding this site and talking to other people on this site, telling my story I am feeling much better its amazing what a positive impact it has knowing you can talk to and relate to others experiencing similar things, and where you feel comfortable and completely open in talking about it.

Warmest welcome to the site

confuseddd
16-01-07, 21:10
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi confusedd
thanks for telling your story, can really relate to it. Of the anxieties I have developed I have found the social anxiety to be the most difficult to deal with. More so when at work, because the environment was highly social, with frequent internal meetings, client meetings, training etc. When I started experiencing anxiety (several years after being in the industry I was in) I too thought that the more exposure I had, surely the better i would feel, but I didnt and I could not understand why, perhaps it was my reaction to everything and constant negative thinking. Whenever we had a night out I would drive myself mad when i got home, running through scenarios and conversations of the night, over and over and over again in my head, convinced I had said the wrong thing, behaved strangely, not been professional, not been articulate, muddled my words etc etc. I could never sleep after a night out because of this

<div align="right">Originally posted by calmdown - 14 January 2007 : 18:53:29</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

That's exactly what i'm going through, wow.But thanks for all your comments, I really appreciate it. It's good to know that there are others like me and that i'm not alone in this.