PDA

View Full Version : I'm new too

richardy
02-09-04, 11:54
I've just registered after my partner showed me this site. I have suffered from social anxiety for over 2 years now, i get panic attacks when i'm out and about. I have been to a few different therapists all with different techniques.

I am glad to find other like minded people, it doesn't make me feel so isolated.

I am also on cipralex (spelling?), which has helped me a bit, i don't want to take anything stronger. I am now looking at my diet, and my activities to take my mind off things.

I don't enjoy my feelings but it is true they do pass, i've just got to remember to breathe!!!

Anyway good luck out their it's not such a scarey place, there is always a beach with your name on it.

Richard

tymcintosh
02-09-04, 12:56
Hi Richard,

Did any of the therapists help at all with your panic attacks? I'm going to see a councellor soon and I am hoping they will help. It is true that with my anxiety if I keep busy it certainly isn't as bad. Just by being on here I feel so much better coz my mind is occupied.

Ty

richardy
02-09-04, 13:59
Ty,

If my mind is occupied then everything is fine, if i'm doing something that i enjoy and want to do i will not have any anxiety. I've taken up photography and cycling (not together though). I find i need to relax, this is very very important, photography helps, i can go on my own or with a friend and just walk from my house and start snapping away. It doesn't matter of what.

I've tried counselling, 1 did the rewind technique and the other one we just talked and talked and talked, he offered me ideas and techniques to try at home, which is what i liked. The rewind technique i didn't get on with.

I've also got a CD for relaxation i can't remember the name, it's a northern bloke, anyway he talks to me, i feel a bit silly, but i find i'm relaxed afterwards.

So all up i know i can beat this tiny primitive piece of my brain, and get out there and start enjoying it. I've learn't that my depression is linked to disapointment of getting paniky and also through missing events.

But i think sometimes we forget about looking forward to things, mixing up this message with dread, i can't remember what a normal feeling of being anxious is, so how do i know that i've reverted back to my quiet state, this is my next task, to observe others around you, watch their hands, watch their posture, it's all clues that it's not just you, puts my more at ease.

In the end it's all learning, learning to cope, learning that next time i'll do it slightly different. Life is all one big learning experience, but we should have fun at the same time.

Keeping this short [8)] Consuelling is a big help, just find the right person that's important. Someone you feel comfortable with. There is a phone line as well, drop me an email and i'll fish it all out for you.

Its good to know we are not alone, and in some way we are pretty special people with youthful imagination, we just need to put it into the right box and run with it!

Rich

Meg
02-09-04, 16:05
Hi Richardy,

Sounds like you're well on your way to recovery- needs time and patience for it all to work long term

Try these posts

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Distraction as you're using is the first line of defense and when you know that can work and are comfortable with it then you need to really address the way your inner dialogue works . Thought replacement. but I found that only worked after I prove to myself that I could relieve myself of the worst symptoms by relaxing and distraction .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Karen
02-09-04, 16:22
Hi Richard

Welcome to the forum. I also have social phobia and many people here suffer with anxiety.

You sound like you have a really positive attitude and are on your way towards recovery.

Briary

richardy
02-09-04, 18:59
Thanks Guys,

I try to look on the sunny side of things, one consellor told me to learn from my experiences always try and get something positive out of a bad situation, even if you've had a panic episode at least you got there and had a go. I don't think anyone is made to do anything in this life, start with something you love to do, you never know where it takes you :)

I'll go and read those threads now, i'm feeling good today, the sun is out!!

sal
02-09-04, 19:01
Hi Richard

Pleased to you have joined the site, you have such a positive approach, which so many of us lose hold of along the way.

Hope you are having a good day.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
02-09-04, 19:08
even if you've had a panic episode at least you got there and had a go

Absolutely : and learn from it . learn your triggers , kearn what calms you , learn the symptoms, learn how to cope ...

Meg

nomorepanic
02-09-04, 19:28
Hi Richard

Welcome to the message forum - good to see you here.

You sound very positive and seem to be doing some good stuff to help yourself.

I hope we can be of more help to you too.

Nicola

richardy
02-09-04, 19:32
Going to write a journal then, starting tonight, i've read those 2 threads and it's all true, if my mind wasn't such an evil prankster i would be fine, so it's time to take it back to my positive self.

Lets go to work @:)

Thanks Meg

Richard

sarah
02-09-04, 19:45
Hi Richard

Welcome to the site.
You sound like you have a good attitude. Keep it going and you will get there in no time!
Great idea with the journal too, definately makes it easier to benchmark progress.

Take care
Love Sarah
xx

seh1980
03-09-04, 19:08
hello there,

Welcome to the site!! Hope we can provide you with some support and advice.

Sarah :D