PDA

View Full Version : Newbie member, massive health anxiety issues

imogen84
27-01-15, 10:52
Hi all,

I have found this forum thanks to a letter from the team who are arranging my CBT that included some recommended reading.

I am a 30 year old mum of one who has worked in hospitals for the last 12 years. I attribute a lot of my anxiety to the things I see at work. It also got worse since becoming a mum. In my current role I work in the blood laboratories and as such spend all reading the symptoms written on blood forms!!

In November I took a bad turn with my anxiety, I got a chest infection that required antibiotics and I expected that I would just bounce back, when I didn't i started to panic. I had always had what I considered mild IBS but never had it diagnosed but the antibiotics basically played havoc on my system resulting in the biggest (still going on) flare I have ever had. I wound myself up so much that with the pressure of Christmas as well, I ended up in A&E on Christmas morning sobbing to the out of hours GP, convinced I was going to die. The antibiotics and nausea had left me unable to eat for 2 weeks and as such I lost 7lbs....this meant to me that there was something more sinister going on.

My GP has refered me for CBT and I have had an assesment, I am now on the waiting list for the sessions. I also had all my blood work checked and it was all fine. No issues with Coeliac, no inflammation, Thyroid fine, not anaemic, Ferritin at a good level and no B12 deficiency or any other issues. I have tried various antispasmodics Buscopan and Mebeverin didn't seem to do anything and currently trying Alverin.

Any way, fast forward to this weekend just gone, woke up at 4am Saturday morning and had to rush to to loo with the runs, this happened 3 times. Felt terrible Saturday morning and had stomach pains like I had never had before and it just wouldn't go and then I vomited. Went to out of hours GP who diagnosed gastroenteritis. Went home felt rough and took to my bed. At 2am Sunday morning I was woken with horrible pain that had all gone to my right side, back and down towards my bladder and a sharp pain in my groin, rang 111 and spoke to a GP who told me that it still sounded like gastroenteritis and that you feel in where ever the infection is in the gut? He was certain it was not my appendix and to take co-codamol. Any way spent Sunday feeling off it, still having stomach cramps although the back pain had gone but was still feeling it in my bladder. Got through Sunday on co-codamol but noticed I had this pressure pain while having a wee...?UTI. Monday I got an appointment with my GP as tummy still tender and cramping and horrid plus pain in bladder and groin. He told my my tummy will be tender after gastroenteritis and with IBS to contend with it will be sore also that the hip pain is a pulled / strained muscle (when the hell did I do that??) He tested my urine and I had trace blood and trace white cells so full s ample has been sent to lab...:ohmy:n panic mode kicks in, why is there blood in my urine.

So I guess where I am going with this long winded post is I still don't believe what I am being told, I am convinced its something worse, I am never this ill. I cant get my head around that fact that my anxiety can make a lot of things worse, that just inst logical to me. Heres hoping my CBT helps.

Imogen

LauraWoo84
27-01-15, 22:51
Hi Imogen your post just echos exactly what I have been going through. I was diagnosed with iBD and the pain, spasms and weight loss resulted in me being in hospital for a month whilst they diagnosed the problem. I had bloods, X-rays, ct scans and it all came back saying ibd caused by constipation I just couldn't believe it. Then as a result anxiety kicked in and symptoms have varied, I am seeing a hypnotherapist and hoping to reinstate CBT as well as reading self help books. I use to be a rational, logical person and it seems as though since I have turned 30 that has all changed. But please take comfort in my words anxiety can make things seem so much worse. If you have time to read I advise you read dr Claire weekes book self help for nerves. The mind is far more powerful than we given it credit.

This forum has been a real life line for me as people on here really understand.

Sending you a hug x

imogen84
28-01-15, 08:38
Hi Laura,

thanks for your reply. Its nice to know I am not alone although wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I will have a look for that book as I get the feeling the CBT waiting list is a long one.

I also cannot believe just how painful IBS is, hoping I can get a reprieve from it soon.

Imogen x

LauraWoo84
28-01-15, 19:36
Yes IBS really can be that painful my dear. When I am really bad I drink a lot of water and peppermint tea. And as hard as this is to believe I eat little and often.

I hope you start to feel better my dear x