PDA

View Full Version : Been a while... nose-breathing problems :O

Orange Lightning
27-01-15, 20:25
Sorry it's been so long, I've been doing my best to avoid posting here, but I can't ignore what's happening to me at the moment, as it's been going on for 2 years, and only now have I noticed a pattern in it.

My nose is constantly blocked up. Not with mucus or anything as I haven't had a consistent runny nose for 2 years (see below), but enough that I cannot take a deep breath through it. The mucus that is supposed to run out of it runs down my throat instead.

The only time my nose ever unblocks is when I look down for a short amount of time. Then I can breath through it normally until I look forwards or up. In bed, I can only breath properly when I lie on my right side slightly. Most decongestants, sinus rinses, diet/lifestyle changes and suchlike don't help. In fact Vic rub makes it worse! The only slight relief I get is from Oxymetazoline, but when it wears off things become twice as bad as before.

I know this is all so oddly specific, but I've had plenty of time to notice these things and its making me scared as to why this is happening. Furthermore I'm still chasing up a solid diagnosis of LPR reflux, and when I had a scope through my nose and into my throat, I was able to breath properly for the full 24 hours. My nose even ran for the first time, which was an unusual relief. As soon as the scope was removed though, my symptoms all returned - except for when I look down.

What could be causing this? Surely not anxiety since the symptoms vanish in such a particular way?

Katki
27-01-15, 20:30
I have allergic rhinitis. Although it's not exactly as you describe, the right side of my nose is permanently blocked. I can't breathe at all through it unless I go to a steam room or something. The left side sometimes is the same but not as frequently.

If I look up my nose I can see the inflammation. I don't know if you can see anything.

I have tos ay mine is worse when I tip my head down. But everyone would be different. Sinus problems never really bothered me as I've had them now for abour 15 years...

Hope you find out what it is.

Orange Lightning
27-01-15, 20:35
I have allergic rhinitis. Although it's not exactly as you describe, the right side of my nose is permanently blocked. I can't breathe at all through it unless I go to a steam room or something. The left side sometimes is the same but not as frequently.

If I look up my nose I can see the inflammation. I don't know if you can see anything.

I have tos ay mine is worse when I tip my head down. But everyone would be different. Sinus problems never really bothered me as I've had them now for abour 15 years...

Hope you find out what it is.

Nah, steam from my shower actually makes it worse too! Nothing I can see when I look up my nose, although I'm still waiting for an ENT to scope me after many many weeks. Doctor says I only have an allergy to penicillin, and in my case BOTH sides of the nose block up.

Katki
27-01-15, 22:22
It sounds like some kind of allergy to me. Sometimes they are so hard to diagnose. I wouldn't worry about it though. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Orange Lightning
29-01-15, 00:40
It sounds like some kind of allergy to me. Sometimes they are so hard to diagnose. I wouldn't worry about it though. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Unfortunately all the tests I've had say I only have an allergy to penicillin. Also if it were allergies, anti-allergy meds I've tried would've helped by now. :(

paul78
30-01-15, 20:02
Hi,Orange i had read this on internet that some people who have allergyes from weather or dust also experiance this type of symptomps,so i think its the same thing.