PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with skin cancer and worried over mole/scab on scalp :(

snowflake293
28-01-15, 08:33
Hi guys

I have huge worries over skin cancer.

I am worried cause I have a raised lump/mole on my scalp, I've had it for over 10 years now and last had it checked about 3 years ago and the Dr wasn't concerned. Occasionally it gets dry and flaky and I will pick and it gets very sore. The hair grows differently out of this patch, darker and wiry and with the odd white hair! It is only a small patch, less than a pencil eraser.

Anyway I am so worried its melanoma or a basal cell carcinoma, I am obsessed with cancer, especially skin cancer. I am quite pale and have loads of moles.

I also have been having severe itching recently especially on my back and there is an itchy mole there! I had a really itchy bra on a few days ago so hoping its just from that but why would it still be itching??

I am tempted to go back to the Dr to ask about the thing on my head. Does anyone think it sounds dodgy? If I had it looked at 3 years ago surely I am ok? The only thing that has changed is it tends to crust over less often and the hair growing out of it differently is a relatively new thing over the last few years. I just don't know if it is worth having a melt down in the Drs waiting room over :(

Any advice/support would be appreciated.

Thanks xx

.Poppy.
28-01-15, 20:45
It's winter, so I'm finding (as I do every year) that new parts of my body are itchy. More likely than not, it's dry skin. Try some lotion and see how you feel :)

As for the mole, since you've had it 10 years, got it checked out and the doc said it was nothing 3 years ago, and nothing extraordinarily bad has happened to you in that time, it's probably nothing. You could get it checked and rechecked and rechecked and drive yourself crazy, but it will stay the same.

I've done the health anxiety thing, occasionally I still find myself going down that road. I feel for you, I really do :) Two things that really helped me to beat it is believing what the doctor said and whenever I felt like I was about to stress over something, I'd say "nope, not today" and find something -anything- to distract myself.

So, if you think it would help you, get into the doctor and have it checked out. Explain your worries about it (it helps to write them down beforehand so you don't forget and kick yourself later). Ask about the future, does this spot have any potential to become dangerous? Should you be getting it checked regularly just to be sure? --not that you'd need to, but just so you know for your own peace of mind.

THEN, take the answers your doc gives you, believe them and find some way to move on. If it means you go on a long walk every time you feel stressed, or you have to play a computer game, whatever, just do it. If you feel you need a therapist or a counselor, find one. You CAN beat this nasty dragon, you just have to believe you can, and commit to it! :)

snowflake293
30-01-15, 10:20
Thanks Poppy :)

I am much less worried over my scab/mole today. If it changes at all I will get it looked at. Thanks so much for your reply, really helpful and made me feel a bit better.

xxx