PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo worries

Naomi93
28-01-15, 22:05
So yesterday I had a tattoo done on my leg, this is my first 'big' one (i've got a small one between my shoulders) and i'm getting so anxious :(

I was told to wrap it in cellophane at night and when wearing clothes for a week to keep it clean and protected but I stupidly read things online saying that its bad to wrap it and it can get infected etc. So I started panicking. When I got home yesterday I cleaned it and put bepanthen on and let it be uncovered and then it came to bed time and I didn't know if I should cover it or not so I cleaned it, put bepanthen on, put on some loose pjs and went to bed but didn't get to sleep for ages as I was so worried about if I should of done what I did. In the morning it looked fine wasn't weepy or anything, got up cleaned it etc and let it be uncovered for the rest of the day while cleaning and putting bepanthen a few times and now its getting to bed time I'm worried about if I should put cellophane on or not :frown:

I know the tattoo artist knows best and my friends have had tattoos wrapped with no problems but i'm so worried :( I feel so silly

happydylbob
29-01-15, 07:36
Hello, I had a foot tattoo last year. I remember comi home and obsessively googling aftercare. I was told to just leave the cling film for a few hours and then remove it (which I did). I then did exactly the same as you with the
Bepanthen and kept it clean. I think that is the key to healing it nicely keeping it clean but also not letting it dry out too much so it doesn't over scab. Mine did scab over a little but it healed really well and I abosoluely liove it . The worst part of the healing was the itchiness about a week in, because I didn't want to scratch it I read you should roll a cold drink can over it which I found really helped. Hope this helps and you are please with your ink :)
Forgot to mention I used an antibacterial hand wash to keep it clean I think it was a dettol one that also had aloe Vera in it.

mark84
29-01-15, 10:54
Naomi, I'd highly recommend using "preparation h"(which is a haemorrhoid cream!) on it, really smother it with that twice a day, you could do with using it asap to prevent scabbing. It's very thick, like Vaseline, and I guess like the clingfilm it prevents air getting to it or something like that which stops scabbing. Worked a charm for me, you just really got to smother it on there, like 3mm thick of it. Gotta warn you it smells awful and gets everywhere though!

evanruden
30-01-15, 15:21
Hey guys,

I have many large tattoos and here is what I do.

1. Wash the tattoo twice every day with an anitbacterial soap (NOT SCENTED!)
2. DO NOT cover the tattoo, it needs the air to heal.
3. Use lotion (not a lot!) and make sure the area is not dry.
4. An option other than lotion is Aquaphor, which is like vasaline and helps moisturize an heal the tattoo. DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT IS SCENTED!

anthrokid
30-01-15, 23:43
Sounds like you're doing the right thing with your ink :) That's how I've always been instructed to care for mine. Keep the cling as a cover for the first day and then keep it clean and covered in bepanthen as a protective layer from dirt, etc. I've had two tattoos done in a country where cling wrap was not readily available and never had a problem with the healing. They key is to keep it clean (dab it over with a damp cloth or something, I had to use baby wipes overseas) and protected with something like bepanthen.