PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who finds Claire Weekes confusing?

Ryukil
30-01-15, 00:51
She talks about "true acceptance" and she talks about floating. I'm confused.

crystal17
30-01-15, 10:31
Ha yes! Floating is a difficult one to master. I read one of her books and did find it helpful but yes also confusing.

I think in a nutshell what she's trying to say is that fighting anxiety and panic makes it worse, but if you can almost 'invite' it when it's there then it loses it's grip on you over time. Kinda like reverse psychology.

Don't know though, maybe I'm confused too :ohmy:

ohwell123
30-01-15, 11:39
its all very difficult to me especially just when you think your symptoms are over a new batch come up and you think anxiety cant do this so it all starts again

Mindknot
30-01-15, 14:06
Yeah, I also struggled with Claire Weekes, something about the language didn't strike with me - one that did was simply called "how to master anxiety" by joe griffin and ivan tyrell - it was clearly written, and quite factual - also more up to date than the CW one.
There is another series which have titles that start "overcoming...." I bought the HA one, it seems good, but it's proper CBT stuff so a little bit hardcore, and I haven't gone through the whole thing yet.

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-15, 04:26
The thing is, Claire Weekes was a long time ago and whilst its all still good advice (and can be found in newer works), the world has moved on and so has understanding of these conditions.

So, perhaps using a more up to date resource would clarify this for you?

Does Weekes also discuss the whole nutrition / supplementation side as well? That is an area that has massively moved on since her days.

There is no one way to recover, so if Weekes isn't working for you, look for something else. Many of her teachings are found elsewhere anyway e.g. acceptance is found in Mindfulness, and this predates Weekes by a long long way, but it's more instructional than learning to tell yourself you accept as it works through exercises aimed at encouragaging you to change and brain scanning research shows it works in doing this.