PDA

View Full Version : can anxiety make you feel numb?

davexdurham
31-01-15, 13:03
ive had GAD for a long time but ive never had a numb emotionless feeling with it.

I usually feel good when I talk to my girlfriend or she sents me a photo of her or whatever. But the last few days ive felt nothing towards her. Not a thing.

Im seeing her today and im really anxious about it incase I feel like this and she has to stop over with me feeling like this.

im also meant to be going to Edinburgh with her next Monday and the thought of that is making me even more anxious. I really dont know what to do.

it seems like I just keep having waves of anxiety over and over and over and it feels like im going crazy

im going to see the dr on monday. Have any of you had any good experience with medication? I have read more bad than good and its worrying.

gregcool
31-01-15, 14:15
hi dave.i had the same feelings as you are going through mate...i sudenly felt numb towards my wife and children.and because i lived with them it was really hard to cope with mate.no feelings lo love no emotions,it just all switched off for no reason...there islots of different meds out there.some work for some but not others.you need to see your docs and get some advice on meds...good luck mate.you are not alone

debs71
31-01-15, 14:24
Yes, it is totally related to anxiety, Dave.

I think it is sort of a defence mechanism...a way of the mind detaching itself from the here and now, and the high anxiety. It is very common to feel cold and separate from family, loved ones, etc. It is scary I know, but anxiety is to blame. It is not that you don't love or care about that person, it is just the anxiety playing its tricks.

This feeling can also be down to depression...even mild depression. A very common symptom of it. I have had this on many occasions. I have GAD and depression, and have felt totally cold around family in particular at times. Just like there is no connection, or at the worst times, like they are strangers to me.

It is horrible, but not lasting. Medications can help get shot of this. I take Escitalopram 10mg daily, and find it excellent for my GAD and panic attacks, but there are many, many options in terms of meds, and this is definitely worth a discussion with your GP.

You can get rid of this! :hugs:

jimsmrs
31-01-15, 14:25
Hi

Yes I've got that at the moment, but not as bad as before, feeling emotionally detached. You're not going crazy and it's good you're going to your GP.

I've been on Sertraline for a couple of years now, started on 100mg now on 50mg. I've tried the other meds and found Sertraline more tolerable. Every one's body chemistry is different, so what suits one person may not suit another, then there are the side effects, again some people go through hell with them, others don't

I also have a yo-yoing Thyroid as they're trying to get my levels right and this does play havoc with anxiety.

Talk to your girlfriend and tell her how low you're feeling.

Enjoy your trip to Edinburgh, it is a beautiful city

davexdurham
31-01-15, 14:47
Thank you everyone. I think small doses of something would be preferable to start with.

I have spoken to her and she understands. Its such an awful feeling thinking id be better off on my own than with someone that quite obviously cares about me. Anxiety has to be the worst illness ive had to date. The worst thing is it seems to be constant struggle with no real treatment that works 100%

jimsmrs
31-01-15, 15:02
You're taking the first steps by going to your GP, I think it's how you deal with it too.

Medication is just one 'tool' some GPs use to help you.

debs71
31-01-15, 15:05
Thank you everyone. I think small doses of something would be preferable to start with.

I have spoken to her and she understands. Its such an awful feeling thinking id be better off on my own than with someone that quite obviously cares about me. Anxiety has to be the worst illness ive had to date. The worst thing is it seems to be constant struggle with no real treatment that works 100%

Aww. That would be a real shame, Dave. Have you mentioned how you are feeling to your girl? The problem with feeling detached like this is that we not only feel so numb, but we also feel so guilty for feeling that way, especially in a relationship. That it is unfair on the the person you are with, but it isn't your fault, and is rectifiable. It doesn't have to ruin things for you both, especially if she cares about you, as she will doubtless help and support you.

Meds can be trial and error...any treatment - therapy, CBT, counseling (sometimes you need more than one counselor/they don't 'fit' with you) I think mental health is so individual to the sufferer, that finding something that really helps can take a while and a lot of trying this, and trying that, but you can get there, I assure you.

davexdurham
02-02-15, 11:51
ive been to the drs this morning and he has given me fluoxitine or something 20mg to try

I know they can give you some rough symptoms to start with but hopefully thatll be brief.

Thanks for all your help

Munki
02-02-15, 17:03
Dave, fear not. You're so not alone. What's great is that you're experiencing a very textbook case of anxiety. I too suffer with the same. However, it doesn't stop us feeling the way we do.

I've yet to find the answer but just know that you're not abnormal or weird and in the end, we always handle it :)