PDA

View Full Version : Last post about Claire Weekes, I promise. Can someone explain to me how to do it?

Ryukil
31-01-15, 18:52
Face
Accept
Float
Let time pass

Part of acceptance is releasing the tight hold on myself, right? Like letting my muscles sag into the chair?
Floating is doing things without resistance.

And then eventually my anxiety will lessen?
I have chronic, every second of the day anxiety.

Poppy Girl
06-02-15, 23:12
Hi
I have a couple of her books and also found the idea of floating confusing. I also bought At Last A Life by Paul David which helped a great deal. Essentially I realised that you have to stop trying to get better and it's when you get to that point that things start to improve. I fought anxiety for more than 6 months and I was like you in that I would wake up anxious and feel like it all day every day with no relief. I honestly thought that I would live the rest of my life feeling that way.
I did a course of CBT, had counselling, took medication (ssri and benzos) and basically did everything I could to make myself better. They helped but nothing really worked until I realised that I was trying too hard to force the anxiety away. I was literally fighting with myself every day.
So....I stopped trying. Just kept telling myself that ok anxiety was there but I could let it affect me every day or I could just carry on as normal and accept that anxiety was with me for the ride. This makes it sound easy I know but it wasn't. Things didn't improve overnight but I slowly began to notice improvements in my mood and found myself having a good hour here and there or a good afternoon out somewhere. When the bad feelings returned again I'd think to myself "Well I had a good couple of hours yesterday, I might not today but there will be more good times" instead of "Here we go again I knew it would be back" like I would have done previously.
I also changed to an snri Venlafaxine and stopped taking benzos and this medication seems to suit me. My doctor is always very keen to stress though that the right medication can help but not cure you. True recovery comes from within. Mindfullness has also helped me to live in the moment and not to worry about what may or may not happen tomorrow.
I've been steadily improving over the last 6 months and I'd say I'm probably 90% back to my normal self. I'm sure one day I will get to a point where I no longer think about anxiety but I no longer obsess about that day. Ive also accepted that I'm always going to be an anxious person It's not what defines me though.
I know I haven't answered your floating question but that's because I never did figure it out lol! Or maybe I did. Maybe what I did was float my way through. Like I said at the start though I think the key is to stop trying and just live your normal life.
Wishing you all the best x