PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Diagnosis??

karl
02-09-04, 13:36
Im still wondering if i am actually suffering from depression, the nurse keeps saying i am suffering from stress or depression but the more i read about depression the less convinced i am.

I dont get emotional. i dont feel guily, cry or feel worthless or a failure, my sleeping is ok, my eating is ok.

I just get physical symptoms all the time constantly like:

having no energy/feeling tired all the time
dont feel motivated to do anything
aches and pains
twitching, trembling
the occasional diarrhoea
shaky hands

Ive been to the docs several times and obviously had loads of tests done and nothing physical is there i had a panic attack 3 months ago which has left me feeling like this every day since, i rarely get any panic attacks though its just these physical symptoms which bug me all the time.

when someone says your depressed then another says your stressed and another says your suffering frm generalized anxiety disorder its not convincing is it.
I know nothing is physically wrong with me i dont worry about any physical illnesses.

All i know is 3 months ago apart from my asthma i was completely healthy never had any other health problems, but ive always been a stressful person and i had that episode 3months ago where i felt unreal and lightheaded and like i was going to collapse and it seems to have drained all my energy since and ie developed more symptoms over the last 3 months, ive had about 4 panic attacks in 3 months and i dont worry about getting one of them is these other symptoms, ive read so many books on depression and it just doesnt match up to me.

Ive never heard of depression to be just physical symptoms athough i will admit ive lost my sex drive as well since ive been ill.

Thanks [8D]

stimpy
02-09-04, 13:45
Depression and anxiety often go hand in hand.

It does sound more of an anxiety problem than a depression one.

But then again, what do I know?

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

oshun
02-09-04, 13:49
hi karl,

i was interested to read your post and i understand your frustration. before i have also i belive been misdiagnised with depression when the problem was really anxiety. the other thing i wanted to tp say is that i think there is a problem with western style medicine in diagnsosing ailments which are of emotional origin but which are so strong that they also have a knock-on effect on the rest of your physical well-being and immune system.

e.g. when my anxiety/panic gets really bad i start getting syptoms like that of glandular fever but all tests for that are negative. i know in my gut insticnt that it is my bodies way of behaving with the stress that anxiety causes me emotionally and physically. i wonder if it is worth you talking to a practioner of chinese medicien or something like that?? something to think about...

chinese medicine helped me a lot with some ongoing skin problems whch western medicine could not do..

another thing..i find exercise really helps in general. you sound like you are feeling maybe quite wee, but it is amazing the amount of energy doing exercise actually gives you. i started doing capoeira which i find physically really tough but it mad me feel gooodd!!!!!

hope that all helps a litttle bit nd you feel better soon

x oshun

Meg
02-09-04, 17:16
Karl,

This also seems similar to another post today ...

I agree that often docs confuse anxiety and label you with depression instead .They are all emotional disorders. My doctor did that too but it really doesn't matter enormously as the medications are similar and some of the antidepressants are licensed for anxiety alone . Yours is one of them .

I agree too with Oshun that these disorders do spill over into the physical side too and cause a wide variety of symptoms and eventually illnesses ie IBS. Many skin disorders are essentially emotionally and stress related .

I would be very cautious of taking a variety of western meds and herbs at this point whilst you're acute although some alternative therapy like acupuncture , massage may help enormously.

Do review your diet, take supplements if needed and exercise is brilliant.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Rennie1989
02-09-04, 21:10
hiya

im confused myself, do i suffer anxiety or depression, OR BOTH

im always down in the dumps, i rarely smile at school
im also scared to leave the house, i constantly repeat the list of things i must take like keys, planner, homework, pe kit and writing equipment
also when i see my ex-best friend i feel my heart missing a heart beat and i freeze, for a second
sometimes i still feel sad when i come home, i would just run up to my room and never come out till dinner, like im shutting myself away from the world

ow and one more thing i havent had a panic attack since june, thats a personal record for me

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

camilla
19-01-05, 02:35
i have similar problems myself with getting an correct Diagnosis. i have said to have server depressive disorder, post tramatic stress disorder, asperger's sydrome witch was diagnosed wrong and also dysthymic mood disorder. i was actually told by a dr all consultants can do is give you a diagnoises and prescribed medication. They often don't get that right 2.

c.harbott