PDA

View Full Version : Are Meds Right For Me?

inthemind85
02-02-15, 12:15
Hello all!

My current situation is that I have been out of work for almost a year after suddenly getting crippling panic attacks.

It got to the point where I was housebound for several weeks and couldn't walk down the bottom of my road without feeling faint.

Thankfully, after many months, it seems the major panic/anxiety has lifted, and I now only get a panic attack approx every 6 weeks or longer, and they only last for about 20 minutes.

With that out of the way, my only other (long-term) anxiety symptom is eye contact. Fear of being looked at and fear of making eye contact.

I live with my parents who are quite strict and are very upset I haven't started taking meds yet (was given a prescription last year but bottled it after 4x10mg doses). However I am very pleased with my own progress during this time out. I guess they thought I would be back in work by now...

I am currently dealing with a seperate health issue (daily vision problems/migraines) which is causing great difficulty using a computer - or doing anything for that matter!

I am now taking it upon myself to get treatment for this, as I believe this is a seperate issue from my anxiety.

My question is, are meds right for me, in my situation? I still go out to gigs, and nights out. Admittedly in the last year it has been MORE uncomfortable due to my panic attacks and isolation (I am not working and only have a small circle of friends).

I feel somehow my parents just want me back in work rather than me to be happy. Whilst i'm still getting these daily vision problems I can't imagine being back in any full-time capacity any time soon! :(.

xilvey
02-02-15, 17:23
i was very very against taking medication for years until my anxiety got to the point where i didn't leave my house for weeks, i got kicked out of college, couldn't see my friends and could barely go an hour without panic attacks and you could imagine the sleep deprivation i had and since ive started taking medication ill be honest i am getting better :) on good days i leave my house and i sleep at night which is incredible to me! I'm still in early days but honestly i do think its worth a try. Wishing all the best!