PDA

View Full Version : Take meds or not

jimbojames
02-02-15, 20:51
Hi all, I have just been prescribed a course of fluoxitine for anxiety/depression.
I have had them before and I can remember how difficult it was at the start of the treatment and after reading posts on here it seems that this is the case for most people.
I have had a stressful time at work before Christmas and then we had the death of a family member over Christmas. Could it be that these two things combined with the time of year have brought this on.
I have recently started acupuncture and have spoken to a counseler about CBT that I found helpful before. I have made some positive changes at work and am trying to get some regular exercise. So I have made some small changes.
Although I still feel off, I'm hoping that these changes may help without taking the meds. I honestly don't think I can go through the heightened anxiety, panic attacks and general low mood that I remember, again.
Any advice or other coping stratergys that anyone has would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading this.

claireypoo
02-02-15, 21:53
Hi

It sounds like you've made some really positive changes. :) Well done you!

A coping strategy I use for anxiety is 'delayed worrying'

If I find myself obsessing about a problem I think 'I'll worry about this at 7pm'. If its a health concern (as long as its not an emergency type thing) I think 'If I'm still worried in a week I will visit my GP'

A coping strategy I use for depression is being mindful. I'll go for a walk and deliberately notice things, try to stay in the moment. Feel the breeze on my skin, touch railings, smell the air, look around etc. That helps and you can do mindfulness exercises anywhere, even in your living room. I found that helpful.

Little things I know, but it all adds up.

Good luck!

Claire
X

jimbojames
04-02-15, 07:12
Thanks for your reply Claire,
I do try to be mindful at times but I find it very difficult sometimes when my mind is racing. I guess I just have to be patient and get back to a good place slowly. It probably takes months for this to slowly build up and get a grip of you and the same to get back to normal whatever that is!
For me normal is just to go about my normal day without any fear or anxiety to be able to function without any intrusive thoughts and to be able to sleep without waking and not been able to tell between the blurred edges of awake and asleep (if that makes sense).
I think I'm on the right road again but I know how long that road is and that in itself is anxiety inducing!
Cheers J