PDA

View Full Version : can you drink normal tea with anxiety

gregcool
03-02-15, 19:04
can you drink normal tea with anxiety.coffie makes it worse for me but was wondering if tea was alright to drink..just normal pg tips

PanchoGoz
03-02-15, 19:17
Don't see why not! If a cuppa tea is part of your normal, relaxing and grounding ritual of boiling the kettle and brewing the teabag then I can't see that it could do much harm. I feel a bit weird if I drink cup after cup though

gregcool
03-02-15, 19:32
well i havnt had a cup of tea for years.just stoped drinking coffie and tea when i started to suffer with anxiety..wasnt sure if tea will kick of more anxiety or not.but just fancy one

PanchoGoz
03-02-15, 20:21
Have one. Don't think just do :D
-------
I'll amend that to don't think, just drink!

BikerMatt
03-02-15, 20:21
Tea and coffee definitely affects my anxiety so I drink decaf.

Annie0904
03-02-15, 20:53
Tea and coffee are both known to increase anxiety so I limit myself to one cup of 'normal' tea a day and drink fruit/herbal tea at other times.

gregcool
03-02-15, 20:59
didnt see on the packet till after i had a cup.ot says decaf so that should be ok

frosty2901
03-02-15, 21:00
I drink normal tea but cant do anything like coffee or coke I also drink camomile tea but don't drink green tea what ever you do that's really bad I just don't drink to many cups of tea you should try it a couple of times as you may make your self feel bad just by expecting it to happen first also you can get decaf tea x

debs71
03-02-15, 21:11
I drink tea - several cups daily. Doesn't affect my anxiety, but coffee can be an issue. Too much and it sets my anxiety off. Like Annie, I drink chamomile and peppermint teas too.

I say give it a go.

gregcool
03-02-15, 21:21
thanks all for the advice.iv had one cup of decaf and feel ok although i have a slight face pain since drinking it.i norm get this face pain when my anxiety is bad.so not sure if the decaf set it off

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-15, 04:38
I think this is all a question of how severe your anxiety is as it will determine your sensitivity. I know when I was at my worst, food would constantly trigger it and later it became more certain foods.

So, if you are really bad, I would avoid it. If not, give it a try. Just drink half a cup and see how you feel 30 minutes later.

There is less caffeine in tea than coffee and there is always the decaf route as you are trying. There are also caffeine free forms of chai and naturally caffeine free ones such as rooibos or redbush. Some are an aqcuired taste though!

Just avoid anything with guarana in. This is far more potent than normal caffeine and in some SSRI PIL's they advise avoiding it anyway.

jimsmrs
04-02-15, 13:31
I drink Yorkshire De-caff tea.

MrAndy
04-02-15, 13:53
I drink tea all day like its gone out of fashion :)

SarahH
04-02-15, 14:26
When I am really bad with anxiety I avoid all caffeine and alcohol. But when I am I can drink a couple of coffees before 11am then after that its de-cuff.

Sarah

LucyR
04-02-15, 15:55
I drink pots and pots of tea every day I love drinking tea.

gregcool
04-02-15, 18:26
lol...good posts guys.well i think ill have a cup each day.its decaf so shouldnt be a problem.i enjoy a nice cup of tea.

jasxo
09-02-15, 04:34
Tea is perfectly fine as long as it's decaf. Chamomile does wonders for relaxing :)

Magic
09-02-15, 15:12
I drink decaf tea and coffee. Got to be strong though with skimmed milk.
I was thinking of getting some cocoa to drink, I have just read somewhere that it is high in antioxidants. I would not be drinking it at night though.x

MrAndy
09-02-15, 15:22
i drink horlicks at night it settles my stomach and keeps it full at bedtime,which helps sleep

gregcool
09-02-15, 15:46
ohhmmm.ill have to think about this one.i dont crave a cup of tea,i think its just the bordom...so i want to reach for something to drink.ill try the horlicks at bedtime tho.that sounds like a nice drink to me.ill look out for other herbal teas tho.worth a try.ö

MrAndy
09-02-15, 15:55
camomile is nice Greg ,its very relaxing
hope your keeping well and out of trouble :)

gregcool
10-02-15, 18:44
lol.thanks andy.yes mate..just getting on with it..where do you buy these camomile tee from

Carnation
10-02-15, 20:11
You can buy from most Supermarkets. Next to the normal tea and they come in teabags too. Very good for helping with sleeping at night, but don't put any milk or sugar in it. I use Twinnings. :)

Catherine S
10-02-15, 20:32
Maybe the face pain is because of your anxiety over drinking the tea...you were perhaps waiting for something to happen? Ive drunk decaf tea and coffee at home for some years now and take tea bags with me if i'm visiting friends and family...yes i'm the bag lady... but drink the normal stuff if I have no choice. Too many normal cups of tea gives me palps, but it depends on the strength too I think....some teas are much stronger than others. I actually quite like Earl Grey as its never too strong so it doesn't have to be decaf.

ISB x

gregcool
10-02-15, 23:00
well the face pain i get alot when im feeling anxious its like knives scratching down my face i hate it.ots not just when im drinking tea.so i guess it must be anxiety.i will look in tesco tom for camalime tea drink it before bedtime

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-15, 05:11
Maybe the face pain is because of your anxiety over drinking the tea...you were perhaps waiting for something to happen? Ive drunk decaf tea and coffee at home for some years now and take tea bags with me if i'm visiting friends and family...yes i'm the bag lady... but drink the normal stuff if I have no choice. Too many normal cups of tea gives me palps, but it depends on the strength too I think....some teas are much stronger than others. I actually quite like Earl Grey as its never too strong so it doesn't have to be decaf.

ISB x

Well, you can come around my house any day ISB! Any chance of bringing an extra tea bag though :winks::D

I've seen some teas have a 1-3 strength rating and some say whether they are strong on them.

I think I recall green tea being lower in caffeine than black tea plus its full of antioxidants.

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 ----------

I drink decaf tea and coffee. Got to be strong though with skimmed milk.
I was thinking of getting some cocoa to drink, I have just read somewhere that it is high in antioxidants. I would not be drinking it at night though.x

I can't remember about cocoa but I do know that cocoa is a greatly reduced version of its originator, cacao, in terms of antioxidants. Cacao can be used in the same way as any chocolate can eg cakes, smoothies, etc. It is supposed to be stronger tasting though but when they heat it to make cocoa, they destroy a lot of the antioxidants in the process.

---------- Post added at 05:11 ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 ----------

will look in tesco tom for camalime tea drink it before bedtime

I meant to say Greg, have a look on their reduced to clear shelves because in my 2 local Tesco's they often have reduced herbal teas or normal teas. They are either slightly damaged boxes or just ones they are not restocking.

I've picked up some up to 50% cheaper that way and I know you will want to keep your costs down with moving in your new flat...every little helps eh mate?

gregcool
11-02-15, 09:38
thanks terry.ill have a look in tesco latter today see what i can find..would be nice to find something nice to drink,that also helps with my nerves...

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-15, 10:23
Oh yeah, and have a look on the tea makers websites because I once had a free sample of 2 teabags off Twinnings and they keep sending me free sample offers for the new ranges...its only 2 now & again but if the others do it, who knows, you might be able to save a tiny bit of cash but its all useful when you are on a tight budget.

gregcool
11-02-15, 10:44
yea good thinking terry.cheers mate

gregcool
11-02-15, 16:18
well i got some camomile tea and put it to the test.i cant say is made me feel any less anxious or relaxed..bit dissapointed

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-15, 04:40
If you don't notice any bad effects from it, you're good to go. I drank it for years with no problems but recently my anxiety has been much worse and I noticed caffeine would make my heart pound faster, so I've switched to decaf for now. I'm hoping when this current stress has passed I'll be able to go back to drinking regular tea and coffee.

I also find rooibos tea with milk and sugar seems to soothe my nerves when I'm especially anxious. Not sure why it helps, but it does.

I'm sure you will be able to. At my worst I was finding even certain foods were causing me problems but this faded as my anxiety decreased.

I can drink tea back to back with no impact thesedays although it perhaps didn't bother me that much back then.

There is also green tea which does contain caffeine but its a lower quantity and its a healthy tea as well with all the antioxidants it contains.

gregcool
09-03-15, 10:37
terry,iv found that with cirtain foods trigger my anxiety.as for the tea,i dint get the urge to drink that much,just every now and then realy..iv got tetlee cafene free tea bags and hurble tea..so ill stick to these as they dont spike my anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-15, 09:50
Greg, if you have a Tesco near to you I noticed when I was in there last night that they have put a load of caffeine free teas on the reduced to clear shelves (these are near the dried fruit/baking/preserves in my store) so maybe worth a look. They weren't on there on Saturday so I suspect its because of a range change so they should be doing the same at all the stores.

The lowest was 37p for 20, another was 67p, another 85p and then some for a quid.

gregcool
31-03-15, 09:55
Thanks terry.ill take a look when i go shoping next.

SerenFach
31-03-15, 10:09
Its amazing how much I've learnt since being diagnosed with GAD. Everything makes sense now! I always thought tea made me feel weird but I never knew I was suffering with anxiety, I was ignoring a made up illness I thought I had! I don't drink coffee but now I don't touch tea as it drives me loopy. Horrible feeling and I miss a good cuppa I've just started fluoxetine so once my anxiety is under control will I be able to drink tea again?

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-15, 12:26
Yes, I think so. When I was at my most anxious I was so hyper vigilant of sensations that I would notice a lot more. As I went further in recovery, there is far less of a focus to extremes so you can start experimenting adding things back in.

Emilym80
02-04-15, 06:54
I can't drink normal tea anymore- even though there's not much caffeine in it, it makes me feel on edge and jumpy. I usually have some kind of herbal instead, which has the opposite effect (despite not being quite so robust or warming on a cold day).

Hipha
03-04-15, 14:49
Caffeine definitely increases anxiety symptoms. For me it makes me feel sick. I have not had a cup of coffee for 7 months and it was my passion before anxiety / depression crept up on me. My Gaggia coffee machine is sitting in the corner looking lost but I refuse to sell it. Tea is also an issue for me and I can only drink weak tea in the afternoon and evening. I think that this is due to the fact that our cortisol and adrenaline levels naturally grow through the morning peaking at midday and adding caffeine to this only adds fuel to the fire. Strangely decaf PG Tips also makes me sickly which I think is due to the acidic content of all mainstream teas.