PDA

View Full Version : Question re bruises

Munchlet
03-02-15, 19:15
Hi

I'm having a bit of a panic about bruising at the moment.

A couple of weeks ago my thumb really really hurt on one hand, I don't remember doing anything to it but I couldn't apply any pressure to it for a few hours and then all of a sudden quite a large bruise appeared which literally disappeared within a couple of days. I read that sometimes you can have blood vessels pop in your fingers/toes and I have had something similar to this a couple of times before so didn't worry too much.

Then yesterday I remember banging my hand quite hard (can't remember what on) but I remember cursing and shaking it and today I have quite a sore brown bruise on it abut the size of a 10p. Also as well yesterday I walked into a bookcase at work and hit my thigh quite hard, afterwards it was really throbbing and sore and I have a blue bruise about the size of a £2 coin.

I seem to be really clumsy at the moment constantly hitting myself on things but I'm really worrying about bruising. I know it's normal if you hit yourself but I don't know if it's because I'm anxious I'm paying more attention to them and therefore but the ones on the back of my hands are concerning me.

I have to admit I am constantly whacking my hands on door handles and the other day I whacked my arm really hard on a door handle to the point it scratched it and made it bleed, the weird thing was that didn't bruise.

I guess I'm just asking if these bruises sound normal? I remember going to my doctor many years ago about bruises because I had about 6 on my legs and he laughed and said that if I had a problem with bruising they would appear in really strange places without injury and would be very large.

I just think is it normal to bruise the backs of your hands as easily as your legs do?

thanks

debs71
03-02-15, 21:25
Yes, definitely.

If not, more so, as the skin on the back of the hands is very thin. The thinner the skin, the closer the blood vessels are, and more susceptible to bad bruising. This is normal.

Bruising is due to blood vessels/capillaries that have broken under the skin from the injury/bump....nothing sinister.

You're not alone. I dropped a packet of frozen mince on my bare foot last year. Hurt like hell and I almost instantly got a massive bruise and a lump underneath it, which took weeks to go.

Don't worry. It is fine! x

Munchlet
04-02-15, 06:49
Hi Debs

Thanks for the reply.

It's just that niggle you get when one appears and you are not sure how you got it!

I showed my husband last night and his reply was "sorry so we are having a conversation about the fact you have a couple of bruises because you have whacked your hand and your thigh, what exactly is your point?"

When he put it like that I felt pretty silly, he looked and said "normal bruises you've just said you know how you got both of them"

Think I'm just focusing on them at the minute and always seems to be the way that when you start focusing on something, it suddenly becomes worse/more noticeable!.

debs71
04-02-15, 19:01
Yep, definitely.

I am having the same sort of thing at the moment with my IBS. Deep in my brain, I know it is stress and my IBS, but there is this underlying anxiety that it is something awful, and I dwell on it all. Anxiety makes us lose all logic, and it sucks. xxx:hugs:

Munchlet
04-02-15, 20:46
Oh Debs IBS is horrible.

Years ago I spent months worrying it was something other, it got to the point I couldn't leave the house as I kept having to run to the loo every five minutes. Coupled with the nausea/heartburn, rumblings and grumblings and pain I was convinced it was something serious.

In the end I had Food intolerance testing done and was told to eliminate lots of foods for one month and literally within a matter or days my IBS disappeared.

It's awful though and like everything anxiety just makes any symptoms worse.

Sounds like you are being very rational about it though, hope it subsides soon.

Take care

debs71
05-02-15, 01:09
Thanks hun. :hugs:

Yep, it really gets me down and so worried, and you're right that the anxiety just exacerbates it. It amazes me just how anxiety really affects us physically.

You take care too.xx :flowers: