PDA

View Full Version : Have U Cured Yourself Without Meds?

dj9928
13-01-07, 18:00
I'm starting to find it an impossible task, I was put on meds once but me being me I read the side effects and done a bit of research on the dreaded google again, Once I saw the Suicide thing I freaked out and never went back to them, I mean I only took 1.

I went down the counsilor route which didnt work

I also read Claire Weekes books and all about accepting and letting time pass. That was 4 years ago but still no good.

Oh I forgot to mention the Linden menthod which according to him if done right is guaranteed to work, Well after going over it twice I gave up, I noticed he also said he would refund if it didn't work etc, of course I tried but just your typical net scammer out for a quick buck.

So Im beginning to think meds is the only option

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

nomorepanic
13-01-07, 18:09
I have cured myself without meds.

The turning point for me was exercise and dieting.

It can be done.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

dj9928
13-01-07, 18:15
Its the exercise I think I need to start but am totally unmotivated, I can't even be bothered walking 5min to the local shop. I gave up caffeine hoping that would do something but it didnt

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

Elle
13-01-07, 18:22
You know like some people say, 'I don't do the washing up.' Well I don't do doctors. My experience with them has been bad so I try to sort myself out. Now, that's not to say that eveyone should be the same. Some people need doctors and want doctors. I just don't.

I've been exploring health issues for twenty five years. I've studied reflexology, nutrition, reiki, nutrition all all because deep down I need to sort myself out. I think the solution is different for each individual. We are all such complex beings.

Have I sorted myself out? No, not yet but I'm still trying. I just read a book - Tapping the Healer Within by Roger Callahan and Richard Trubo. Essentially the author believes that by accessing certain acupressure points in an algorhythmic way you can rid yourself of anxiety. I tried it and it worked to a certain extent but I'm not totally convinced. Maybe I have to read it again.

Anyway, I'm sure that all therapies have something to offer. Maybe you just need to find one that suits.

Personally I think that nutritional therapy and herbalism are the answer. The body's biochemistry needs to be right. You need to have the right neurotransmitters in your neural synapses.

Also we are all loaded with toxins - Mercury, aspartame, food additives, fluorine, chlorine, oestrogen in our meat and water supplies etc etc. The forum curezone.com suggests various methods of detoxification.

We'll get there in the end.

suzy1984
13-01-07, 18:36
Hi
I dont have an answer the question, its something iv been wondering about myself. Have been having CBT and its not working so trying meds (cipralex) as a very last resort took the first one last night. Is it true that anxiety can be caused by an imbalance in the brain chemicals? (seratonin?) & how can that be corrected without meds? im just a bit confused by it all!

Love
Suzy xx:)

Meg
13-01-07, 20:38
I managed to erradicate panic and anxiety without meds.

Your brain chemistry is constantly changing depending on your mood and outlook. If you change your thoughts and believe them, then you change your outlook, which in turn changes your seratonin levels.

Thus why so many people relapse 8-10 weeks after coming off meds and the false seratonin levels revert to where it was pre meds.

Try David Burns book - Feeling Good

Meg

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

toto
21-01-07, 20:46
Actually, I haven't managed to be 'cured without meds' and perhaps you don't want to hear this but IMHO, sometimes the brain and body needs a break from the constant negativity. I have taken citalopram 10mg for about a month now and I feel it has given me a break to be able to analyse the reasons for my anxiety and ectopic heartbeats which I've not had the pleasure of doing for about 6 years. Increasing my Serotonin levels has given me some space, I feel, to analyse the why's and wherefores of my anxiety so that I can understand where its coming from. 6 weeks ago I was a dysfunctional wreck but now I know what I need to do and how to do it.
So I will keep on the citalopram until I feel confident about my journey. However, everyone is different and this is not the way for everyone. But I'm glad I took the citalopram route! Not sure this helps but I'm glad to get this out as I'd been very sceptical about taking it! LOL.

Toto

debstar
21-01-07, 21:59
I have not taken any meds and have found that hypnotherapy and counselling to be a great success.

Deb

Hexia
21-01-07, 22:04
I think what cured me was not the meds, it was myself and the therapy I got. However, I did find that SSRI and Betablockers gave me a much-needed break and the ability to actually work with myself.
When I came off the meds my anxiety came back, but by then I was able to work with the strategies I had learned while being on the meds.

Some need it, some don't, we are all different that way. But if you have tried for a long time to overcome your anxiety on your own, maybe it would be wise to try out the meds?

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

seeker
21-01-07, 22:15
Hello ,
i managed to cure anxiety and panic attacks wihtout meds, but I have now reached a point with depression where I have had to take medication - I believe sometimes it gets to the stage where it is irresponsilbe not to, frankly! Anxiety and panic attacks - once I understood the biology and chemistry behind excess adrenaline, it was quite easy (!) for me to break the cycle with exercise and rational thinking, telling friends about it and coaching them in what to say to me when I was having an attack. Depression - totally floored me of late, and no matter what I tried, I still was crying for hours on end with no good cause. Have finally decided to try meds as I would take a headache pill for a headache. so far, so good.

heavymind
22-01-07, 07:02
I HAVE CURED MYSELF WITH EXERCISES REGULAR AND REGULAR, REDUCED 8 KGS AND BECAME ZERO ANXIOUS. Presently the only thing that makes me anxious is my BDD, which is also quite under control and I am able to live with it, its not debilitating.

asdf

mazz
22-01-07, 07:43
Hi i cant say iam cured but iam so much better without meds.I agree plenty of exercise even if its just a walk round the block ,keeping busy so my mind has no time to think how anx iam feeling.And a good diet with vitamin suppliments.
Mazz.

happyone
22-01-07, 09:49
This time I am on meds, but that is more for depression than the anxiety I think.
The last time I had a major problem with anxiety, I used to listen to audio books, exercise and went for counselling. It helped, but didn't cure me.
Happyone
x

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

mooks
22-01-07, 14:15
the old age question...ive been on meds 10 years...now want off them for good..but as was said everytime I stopped the anxiety comes back..so im changing my diet etc therapy etc ...in the hope when I try again ill have coping mechanisms in place.....
I will say the meds do help...but I want to be med free in the furure

Issy_Bum
22-01-07, 22:27
It is possible. I am not 100% cured but I'm so much better. I had something called 'cognitive behavioural therapy' which taught me ways of dealing with stress, including some very useful breathing exercises which can actually change the way in which your body deals with adrenaline if done reguarly.
I also kept a PMA (positive mental attitude), medication is obviously effective but it's not a miracle cure, you still have to do some of the work and if you can do it without medication you can feel even better about yourself :]

heavymind
23-01-07, 09:36
This morning, after exercise did some meditation and it feels just too good. It is defenitely possible to improve without medication, but it requires perseverance and hardwork. It takes around 3-4 months to improve.

asdf

toto
24-01-07, 20:34
I think its true that you can cure yourself without drugs because in the end, its not the drugs that cure you, its yourself. BUT...the SSRI's or beta blockers are 'tools' to give your mind a chance to cope. Its a very personal decision, because all our symptoms are very individual. For me, the ectopic heartbeats cause me terrific anxiety even though I know they aren't terminal! and since taking the citalopram I've been ectopic-free. I now realise that the anxiety is the cause and have started looking after myself with improved diet, exercise, relaxation and meditation but most of all, "positive self talk". I'm sick of beating myself up!

Toto

heavymind
25-01-07, 12:09
I am sick of beating myself up is a brilliant way to put it.

asdf

Robin
25-01-07, 12:28
I agree with many of what the others are saying here: exercise is the big one. It has really helped me. Pity that I don't have the time to do so more.

I've been on alot of meds - which have helped - the problem is stopping them. But I dont think GAD ever truly goes away. It doesn't take much for it to rear its ugly head.

It begs the question - [i]is there a cure?