PDA

View Full Version : asbestos fear.

chrisjose1913
03-02-15, 23:04
So a few weeks ago i was sanding down some panels for my bike. I resprayed them and never took a second look after. Anyway today I took them back off and noticed a label on them. Too my alarm the warning said it contained asbestos. I am really worried now. and feeling a little panic.

RedXIII
03-02-15, 23:57
To my knowledge you need to be exposed to asbestos for an extended period of time for it to be truely harmful.

What you have done is likely the equivalent of smoking 4-5 cigarettes one time compared to someone who gets cancer like mesothelioma smoking a pack a day for 20 years.

chrisjose1913
04-02-15, 00:11
Thank's but I still feel a little worried as the paint was dusty.

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-15, 08:28
This is taken from the NHS Choices website for Asbestosis:

When the dust is breathed in, the asbestos fibres enter the lungs and can gradually damage them over time. For asbestosis to develop, prolonged exposure to relatively high numbers of the fibres is necessary. However, it is not the only factor, as many people avoid getting asbestosis, despite heavy exposure.

AND

For asbestosis to develop, prolonged exposure – usually over many years – to relatively high numbers of asbestosis fibres is necessary.

SarahH
04-02-15, 08:30
Chris we are exposed to asbestos everyday without realising it. Many many houses were built with asbestos in them up until the 1980's. Artex on ceilings contains asbestos. I only know this because only the other week I scraped the artex off a porch ceiling covering myself in the stuff and someone pointed out to me that my house was built in the 60's and I just sprayed myself with the stuff. I looked online and discovered that one exposure to asbestos is very very unlikely to cause asbestosis. If it does it will be in 40years time.
Some people, like plumbers, were exposed to it for years and years and did NOT develop problems. So relax and don't worry about this. There really is nothing you can do about it now.

Sarah

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-15, 08:54
Chris we are exposed to asbestos everyday without realising it. Many many houses were built with asbestos in them up until the 1980's. Artex on ceilings contains asbestos. I only know this because only the other week I scraped the artex off a porch ceiling covering myself in the stuff and someone pointed out to me that my house was built in the 60's and I just sprayed myself with the stuff. I looked online and discovered that one exposure to asbestos is very very unlikely to cause asbestosis. If it does it will be in 40years time.
Some people, like plumbers, were exposed to it for years and years and did NOT develop problems. So relax and don't worry about this. There really is nothing you can do about it now.

Sarah

White asbestos is supposed to be the least dangerous of the 3 varieties as well. I think there is also an element of having a low % of it used as well that makes it less of an issue but I could be wrong on that.

SarahH
04-02-15, 12:55
Your not usually Terry :winks:

chrisjose1913
04-02-15, 16:51
Turns out the panel was not asbestos but a warning for the break pads few. regardless i do still get a little worried as years ago in my early teens I used play in an old garage, that was full of it i think.

MyNameIsTerry
05-02-15, 10:15
Your not usually Terry :winks:

Your too generous Sarah...Google is my friend :winks::D