PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the past

scaredgirl86
04-02-15, 00:29
I just feel like my life is being wasted, all i do is think about the old days when everything was exciting, there were no worries. I listen to music and if a song comes on reminding me of past i cry and i feel so empty. I cannot believe what my life has become everyone is getting married having kids at my age and here i am alone thinking about the good old days nothing makes me happy i have nothng to look forward to, but i want life to be good the way it used to be but i don't know how or if it's even possible.

SarahH
04-02-15, 13:08
Three threads now

PanchoGoz
04-02-15, 15:41
It might help you to learn mindfulness. It will give you a new apreciation for things happening in the present and kind of objectivity towards everything. You may find it easier to train your mind away from these thoughts of the past too. You can get in a habbit of living in the past, you feel stuck there. Daily exercises to teach yourself little things you can appreciate more should help. Let me know if you'd like some mindfulness recources information.

theharvestmouse
04-02-15, 17:24
I feel the same and it's very difficult for those of us who haven't had the lives we expected to have. I think about the past a lot, before my problems, and back to a time when I just lived instead of thinking every day about how I should be living and how I've cut myself off from life mostly and just exist in a little world I've created for myself.

scaredgirl86
05-02-15, 03:29
theharvestmouse- yeah it's a horrible feeling i know how bad it is i hope we'll both enjoy life again.

PanchoGoz- thank you yeah i would like the info sounds like something i need to try.

sarah- what's that mean i'm not allowed to post more than one

semper solus
05-02-15, 11:22
That's exactly how feel. The world is moving around me and I just want to go back in time. I have Epilepsy and take meds which have affected my memory. It won't hold short term things but remember everything from the past. I have lost most of my friends because of my Epilepsy so it gets pretty lonely and that's when the thinking of the past starts.

gregcool
05-02-15, 11:24
i feel the same.always thinking backwards to times when i wasnt ill.times when i just got out of bed and always felt happy and refreshed and never once thought about how di i feel today..i had tons on energy and confedence and loved every day i opend my eyes...its sad when you feel your life is empty and over and cant see anyway foward to get back to your old self..

MyNameIsTerry
05-02-15, 11:39
sarah- what's that mean i'm not allowed to post more than one

You can post as many times as you want. Incase Sarah doesn't get back to this thread, she was referring to the spammer that Venus deleted as they have been posting referrals to their products.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

I do this as well. I feel like my life is on hold with all this. Its cost me my friends, social life, my career, etc. I'm now getting to the age where I won't be having family and this upsets me as I think about how it affects my parents who would love grandchildren.

I suffer from obsessional behaviour as well as my GAD and I find my days are very similiar with not having a job anymore and when you are just one your own so much, its hard finding reasons to keep going.

Things revolve around money and I'm having to be keep quite tight, so I'm restricting myself to basic shopping and free things so it kind of rules out activities as well. With my sleep pattern now being so bad, I can't even get to things like volunteering so I've got to resolve a whole load of my problems before even getting to do new things like that.

When I'm having my regular blip cycle, I find my thoughts will drift towards this type of thinking and about how I can't see there much use in going on if its just going to be years of anxiety. Bad I know, its just how it makes me feel when the low moods hit.

ncfcfan85
05-02-15, 17:24
I am exactly the same as this.

Been out of work for more than 3 years now, and now lost pretty much everybody. But constantly living in the past, and always remembering old times like my old housemates and comparing everything. The comparing is doing me no good though because things change, people do move on and that is life. Everything changes. It is rubbish but sadly true :( I think the only way I can move on, the only possible solution is if I manage to force myself back into work of some sort and eventually move out of this house (I am still in the same house as when I lived with the awesome housemates back in 09-11, but they are all long since gone) Trouble is like GregCool above, I am constantly tired and have no energy. Oh what I would give to wake up tomorrow morning and feel REFRESHED!

You say you have nothing to look forward to, and that is my line of thinking right now because I am so isolated from the world. However, I think good times are always possible, as long as we are alive and breathing, there is always the potential that we can experience good times in the future. Fingers crossed for me, for you and for everyone posting here.

PanchoGoz
05-02-15, 17:31
mindfulness stuff:
I have a book called the "little book of mindfulness" which is good.
this is quite good http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/mindfulness.htm
If you have a while to listen to this it's great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc jon kabat zinn has brought mindfulness concepts to the west.
If you want to pay for a course try BeMindful or Headspace https://www.headspace.com/science which helps you to meditate especially.

scaredgirl86
07-02-15, 05:41
Thank you all for the replies and advice i hope we all get to enjoy life again