PDA

View Full Version : TWITCHING!!!

Vigilante
04-02-15, 15:42
I am currently being driven nuts by this, it started as my left bottom eyelid twitching/spasming a few weeks ago, now I have full blown twitching of almost every muscle in my body, it kind of pings and then just randomly moves to another muscle or different part of the same muscle.....

I also feel lightheaded, sickly, tingly.

I seem to have these symptoms 24/7 currently and worry chronically that they mean something serious is happening. :ohmy:

MrAndy
04-02-15, 15:48
twitching is a very common side effect of anxiety ,the more you worry about it the worse it will be.Just let it do its thing and eventually it fades away,i had twitches for nearly two years but they have almost gone away 100% now
again they are nothing to worry about

KayeS
04-02-15, 16:43
I've had a very annoying twitch in my upper left eyelid for a week now. A really powerful one that just seems to go nuts every 10 minutes. Subsequently I've noticed other muscles twitching around my body too, probably due to having twitching on my brain (as in thinking about it, not actual brain twitching LOL)

Vigilante
04-02-15, 19:12
God I do hate it, my calves seem to be the worst effected and have actually gone sore too, although no strength loss at all.

Started Propranolol 80 mg modified release 3 days ago which has taken my high blood pressure down really fast, but not so much symptoms as yet, maybe early days.

KayeS
04-02-15, 21:30
Trust me it does calm down. Once you accept it's nothing serious you learn to ignore it, which in turn lowers your anxiety, which then lessens the twitching. There was a point where one of my calves twitched for 2 weeks.

pepsi
04-02-15, 22:49
I had twitching for a year bad twitching agree with the above post it eases it goes but it stays around you just learn to live with it

Anonybrit
04-02-15, 23:47
Benign fasciculation syndrome seems to be a lot more common than people realise. I developed it myself, it started as a normal little twitch in my bicep and I became so focused and anxious about it that it got worse and worse, then it moved to my legs where it most stayed although sometimes when stressed I get the usual eye lid or (currently) facial twitch or something else.

Once you have really kicked it off, it's going to be there for quite a long time, although once you stop worrying about it and start forgetting about it you will one day realise it has gone/more or less gone. If I focus I can detect the odd twitch now and then, very subtle, but it's nothing like the actual cramps I would get with how much I had it before. I have never had cramps since then, it gets SO much better, you will never even think about it or notice it eventually, and at some point it will probably disappear entirely.

It is very much a side effect of long term stress.

The important things to distinguish this kind of twitching from something else is that 1) it doesn't really have a pattern, it's just little random pings here and there 2) it has no accompanying weakness or wasting and 3) it doesn't occur when you are flexing the muscle, although this can sometimes be hard to tell in areas with lots of little muscles.

The biggest clue being weakness or wasting.

There is very little else that causes random twitches around the body without weakness or wasting other than stress.

That said, we have health anxiety, and I actually loaded up the site just now literally to post "does anyone else get muscle twitches in their face?" knowing full well everything I've said above, we often need constant reassurance and I hope my post can be some to you if indeed you don't have those 3 things. And even if you have some of those, it's not a point to get worried but just to ge tit checked. It's best to see your doctor if you haven't re health anxiety anyway, they might be able to get you some CBT etc. and if you are having twitches then you're at the point that your anxiety is just starting to run away with itself a bit and I would say it's best to nip it in the bud.

Carnation
05-02-15, 00:39
It's good to hear that you have improved AnonyBrit, do you remember when I was telling you the exact same thing 6 months ago. Carnation :)
And yes, I get 'Facial Twitches', even though most of my 'Body Twitches' have died down now. I think it's just a little reminder that the Anxiety is still there and you need a bit of chill time. :D

popejoan
05-02-15, 00:46
I have them all over too, as I am focusing on them a lot lately, I feel like they are getting worse.

Craze200
05-02-15, 03:44
Yes I get them too

RedXIII
05-02-15, 05:42
I have this right now. I try not to focus on it :)

Vigilante
05-02-15, 12:47
Thanks all, I just did the thing we should never do I asked Dr Google, only this time I put down my worst fear - Brain Tumor and muscle twitching, only to read BTs do not cause generalised twitching as it under control of lower motor nuerons not the brain"

may have actually helped me for once.