PDA

View Full Version : WHY SO DEBILITATING?

dave01
13-01-07, 20:37
Hi, my anxiety comes and goes in cycles i can be ok then suddenly something happens and wallop it's right there between my eyes. It becomes overwhelming i can't think straight, rationalize things i lose all logical perspective of situations, i seem in a constant rush to get everything done right there and then, even silly things that could wait a day or so become hugely important to do right now, i feel the need to have control over every little aspect of life( impossible i know but tell that to anxiety). I' doing an NVQ at the moment but this causes me to panic to get it done, but really i have at least a year. Bizarre i know but again tell this to anxiety.
just wandered if anyone else gets like this. i've been kidding myself i'll just wake up one day feeling better only just realised that's not going to happen, have tried CBT but to be honest it was just words that never really hit home.
sorry to rant but any advice would be good.
Thanx
Dave

d.jones

Meg
13-01-07, 20:43
Yup, this is normal in anxiety land. Amazing what a bit of adrenalin can transform us into.

CBT shouldn't be just words, it should translate daily into changing how you act and behave and most importantly how you think .

If I were a betting lass, I'd say you are chronically catastrophising which leads automatically to anxiety and culminates in panic if unchecked.

Try What to say when you talk to yourself - Shad Helmstetter
FeelingGood - David Burns

Meg

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

bearcrazy
14-01-07, 01:17
Yep I can go with everything you describe. I had been feeling really good for a few weeks until Xmas and then Wham, suddenly my worlds been turned upside down again by severe anxiety symptoms. I find 'brain fog' the most debilitating, when I cant retrieve everyday words and try to say things and they come out wrong! I feel such a prat!

I found CBT really useful, it helps me to challenge my negative thoughts, and makes me analyse why I think things and are they really true or am i mind reading, i am really good at that.

Hope you get back on track again soon,

TC xxxxxxx

bearcrazy
14-01-07, 01:18
Yep I can go with everything you describe. I had been feeling really good for a few weeks until Xmas and then Wham, suddenly my worlds been turned upside down again by severe anxiety symptoms. I find 'brain fog' the most debilitating, when I cant retrieve everyday words and try to say things and they come out wrong! I feel such a prat!

I found CBT really useful, it helps me to challenge my negative thoughts, and makes me analyse why I think things and are they really true or am i mind reading, i am really good at that.

Hope you get back on track again soon,

TC xxxxxxx

tree
14-01-07, 15:48
I get like this when it just hits you. When your rushing about you are trying to distract yourself from your thoughts and just keep moving on to the next thing. I started a course and it was the same for me, i thought i had to rush and get it done to prove myself worthy. CBT worked for me it helped me think differently and rationlized things in my head. Try it again. My therapist said to me once "why do you get anxous and what do you think going to happen" and i didnt really have an answer. At the end of the day why would anyone want to think bad about themselves or makes themselves feel bad. When you wake up and think its going to be better try to hold on to that thought because if you think that sometimes then you have something to work on.