PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Parents Who Continually Criticize?

inthemind85
05-02-15, 14:02
... obviously it's part of a mums job to do it! lol

I'm still living with my parents at 29 but find they consistently keep treating me like a child and always have a negative spin on things I do ... in other words, i can never be right.

I've been through a very difficult patch this last year, being out of work, panic attacks, extreme anxiety and bouts of agoraphobia. Although my parents very kindly paid for me to have private CBT sessions, not once have they ever asked how am I feeling, how am I doing, what my plans are etc etc.

Trouble is my mother got kicked out of home when she was 18 and had to fend for herself, she didn't get on with her mother (and so the cycle continues).

It's more little things, I've decided to grow my hair out a little because of the cold weather! It was getting a little out of control, so today got a nice tidy up at a salon. When coming back home to greet my parents, first thing my mum says is 'You've STILL got that f&&&ing fringe' 'It looks HORRIBLE!'.

My brother many moons ago (age 18) grew his hair to shoulder length. My mum actually said to him at a school parents evening (i'm ashamed to be your mother) because of his hair!

I long for independence and obviously will probably have to jump on the meds train to get back into work, it's going to be a long and drawn out process.

The real problem lies in the fact that at work I was finding criticizm from colleagues, and then I come home to get the same from my parents.

The answer obviously is to move out, but how can I stand my ground without going berzerk at them? I want to be the mature one in this situation.

Annie0904
05-02-15, 14:27
I have been through similar myself so really feel for you :( However I think the key to this is learning to be assertive which is what I have been doing. This may help you http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=51