PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

Nicdnls
06-02-15, 13:16
New to this site. Have struggled with anxiety for years, really bad at moment as husband undergoing medical tests - medical problems are my main source of anxiety, just can't cope at all. Probably result of lowing mother and sister to cancer and always being told "everything will be ok" and of course it never was! Now any medical probs and I immediately jump to worse case scenario. Even though I know I am being ridicolous it doesn't stop the horrible feelings - feel too ill to even go out at the moment! Help!

Poppy Girl
06-02-15, 19:25
I know exactly how you feel. I've worried about my health on and off ever since I had my first baby 17 years ago. I think it made me more aware of my own mortality. Luckily I'm generally very healthy but after having my gallbladder removed last year I started to worry more and think what else might be wrong with me/ my parents / husband / children.
It all got out of control and I completely fell apart. I knew I was being irrational but couldn't control the anxious thoughts and feelings.
Best thing is to speak to your doctor. Mine was brilliant. They may prescribe medication which I resisted initially but then realised I couldnt get better without help.
Also ask to be referred for cbt. It's behavioural therapy and helps to change the way you think so that you dont jump to the worst case scenario all the time.
It won't disappear overnight but with help you will get better.
Get out as much as you can to take your mind off your obsessive thoughts. Fresh air and exercise are both a great help. Also talk to people you trust about how you feel. I found most were far more understanding than I thought they'd be.
If you want to talk more then feel free to pm me or post on here. There's lots of people with experience and great advice.
Hope youre feeling much better soon :hugs: