PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and heart problems

chloe1
07-02-15, 18:04
I have just started citalopram and im very scared now. I've heard it causes heart problems even tho I'm only on 20mg. I'm a female. I used to abuse alcohol and amphetamins. And cocaine. For about a year or so. Every single day. I am convinced I have a heart problem now and won't live very long. I'm 29. I am scared to tell my doctor what I used to do because im so ashamed of it. I just stopped it all myself and turned my life around. I have a family now and all of that seems like a different life but I'm left with this horrible anxiety that Ive given myself heart failure because I was SO so stupid. I am panicking because I feel like my heart is failing and the citalopram isn't going to do me any good. What can I do? Should I go to the hospital and get an ECG? What other tests can they do on your heart to check for damage?

BlackCoffeeCup
07-02-15, 18:38
My psychiatrist told me that the cardiotoxicity of Citalopram is pretty much 0. He told me that they give it to people that suffered heart attacks and that have stents and all that stuff. So don't worry!
If you are in doubt, ask for your docs reassurance.

Frankie123
07-02-15, 18:57
I have severe heart problems and I have been prescribed citalopram as well as being on an ACE and beta blockers so I don't think citalopram causes any heart problems. I am sure my cardiologist would have said if it did.

chloe1
07-02-15, 19:42
I typed it into google and there's a lot of information and warnings about how higher doses causes heart problems. Every single link said it by all different reports. the doses that we are all on would not be a high enough dose to cause heart problems but because I feel like I have an awful underlying heart condition that no one has found (and that's the main cause of my anxiety) I feel that this is going to affect me when it usually wouldn't affect anyone else. I know it doesnt sound logical but it feels very real to me. I have taken 2 citalopram so far and I have pretty much decided I can't take anymore. I don't think its worth feeling like this. I almost felt I couldn't handle how I was feeling earlier and I didn't know what to do. I don't think they are right for me