PDA

View Full Version : Hi - and thanks

Meltdown
14-01-07, 12:37
Hello - Just wanted to say Hi - and thanks for the help that I have found on this board. Reading some of the stories from other members has helped me enormously. I am a 45 year old male, and have been suffering symptoms for 2 and a half years

I began suffering from panic and palpitations in 2004. It was the night before I was due to fly for the first time in 15 years and I was nervous and exited. It was a very hot evening, and I was giving my 3 year old daughter a bath ready for bed. Suddenly I had a Palpitation and felt an overwhelming need to escape. My breathing became very rapid, and I felt like my body was about to explode. The only way I was able to calm down was to go for a drive in my car with the Air-con on max cool!

These symptoms flared up every so often, when in situations of stress, or pressure. At work I sometimes (embarrassingly) had to stand up and leave a meeting just before it became my turn to speak! I saw my doctor in 2005, and had an ECG test done – result normal, though the Dr said my problem was probably an ectopic beat, and told me to ignore it! (easier said than done!)

My problem came and went, then in the months leading up to Christmas 2006, my attacks became worse and worse. On a family trip to see a show, the rushing to get there got to me, and I experienced the worst attack I have ever had! I felt that I was going to die (although I tried to convince myself otherwise) I had to get my wife to stop the car, and sit on a wall, to recover. I was hyperventilating, and both forearms and hands were numb and tingling which was very frightening, and something that I hadn’t experienced before (A classic symptom of hyperventilation, I have since learnt) I felt so bad that I insisted on being driven to the nearest hospital to be checked out! (My wife and kids carried on to the theatre, so that they did not miss the show)

After Christmas, I decided to make a concerted effort to beat this problem! I bought a book by Paul McKenna which had a hypnosis CD with it. Listening to this CD helped me enormously! I have tried to get more sleep. I have taken up Yoga. I decided to learn more about the problem. Finding this site has helped me tremendously, simply by reading the accounts of people like myself. Just when I felt that my problem was getting worse and worse, and fearing the outcome, I learnt that it doesn’t have to be that way, that things can be turned around, and that by learning to relax, these terrifying symptoms can be overcome! On a really bad day, I take passiflora tablets (“Natracalm”), recommended by somebody here. I am amazed how much they help!

Now I am much more relaxed. I am writing this partially as therapy, and partly to help others. I have gone from experiencing maybe 50 palpitations a day to just one or two. When they happen, I just ignore them!

I think (and from talking to others) that panic/palpitations are manifestations of a certain personality type. I am a perfectionist by nature, and become obsessive about things being right! When things aren’t right, I become stressed and frustrated, and this is when the palpitations and panic can start. Although I am well respected, and have a responsible job, I am plagued with feelings of inadequacy, and often feel I could have done better. I lack confidence, and although I play in a rock band in my spare time, deep down I am basically very shy! I can be slightly depressive, and become angsty and annoyed about things in life that I don’t agree with. I tend to dwell on negative things. My mind is always active, and seldom calm and still.

So that’s my story! I am feeling so much better these days that I wanted to share it with you. I hope someone reading this will gain the encouragement I gained from reading similar stories!

weepinky
14-01-07, 12:51
Hi there meltdown and a warm welcome to you, I'm sure you will find loads of friends and support here.:D

manmoor
14-01-07, 13:00
Hi Meltdown,

A big warm welcome to you. Everybody here is lovely.

Take Care

Mandyxx

trac67
14-01-07, 14:08
Hi meltdown,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

sandlin
14-01-07, 15:23
welcome meltdown - this is a great place to have found.

Linda xx

domino
14-01-07, 16:51
Hi metdown, Your story was very interesting, i can relate to most of it., i to am learning to cope with my anxiety. you certainly have come to the right place, good to have you on board. glad that we have been able to help you, and we look forward to reading some more of your positive posts. thanks. lorraine.:D

libbie
14-01-07, 17:24
hiya, i too started with anxiety the night i was due to go abroad with my children. at first it was awful, practically the same symptoms as you, but now i understand them, and what is actually happening to my body, i feel much better, (although i do still suffer from anxiety). i too found rescue remedy (herbal) a great help. i think once you understand what anxiety can actually do to you, and you admit to yourself that it is anxiety, then half the battle is won.

take care
libbie

Meltdown
14-01-07, 19:34
Thanks for all the friendly comments! It's good to have support from prople in the same position.

I't amazing what what is esssentially a state of mind can do to the body. I think now that I appreciate that more, I am better able to cope.

clickaway
14-01-07, 23:35
Welcome aboard Meltdown - the second musician to introduce themselves today!

I am glad you have made progress recently and hope by coming here you can build on this.

Cheers!

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

nomorepanic
15-01-07, 19:18
Hi Meltdown

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

kittykat
16-01-07, 09:52
Hi Meltdown,

Welcome to the site, you'll find a lot of help and support here.

Take care

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson