PDA

View Full Version : Work Issues

Lostmum
09-02-15, 16:05
Hi I'm hoping someone can help or advise.
I was diagnosed with GAD and Panic attack on 12/1/15 and have been sign off work until 22/2/15 and am getting mixed views as to when I will be able to return to work. I have been prescribed Imipramine and am supposed to take 150mg.

I'm a single mum and found when I took the full dose I was unable to wake up to take my child to school, so it has been a bit hit and miss with times and dose

My job is a high pressures sale role, lots of noise people and target and they are being far from understanding, phone call threatening disciplinary action and ignoring my request the contact be via email.

I am getting people telling me I just need to pull myself together and should be back at work and other saying work is probably the cause of a lot of the issues, however I have no support from the other parent either financial or practical so I have to provide for my son and I and with the GAD and medication am lost as to what I should be doing. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 20/2 and have asked for a telephone call from her for advise but I have work demanding I come in for a meeting which is causing panic attacks just at the thought.

Has anyone faced this and how did you deal with it.

thanks

MrAndy
09-02-15, 16:15
I work in sales and went back to work far to early when I was really ill with anxiety,I ended having more time off as a result.Do you have a HR department at work or a line manager you can meet offsite ?.You should talk to your employer about how you feel and get a copy of their sickness policy
Dont rush back if you are still feeling unwell you will only have to have more time off longterm.Nobody should put pressure on you to go back when your not feeling well

Lostmum
09-02-15, 16:20
Thank you. i have just checked my bank and discovered I have been paid just £55 last week i had 2 weeks at 88.75. Can they lower the amount as i only work 3 days per week ?

MrAndy
09-02-15, 16:24
Thank you. i have just checked my bank and discovered I have been paid just £55 last week i had 2 weeks at 88.75. Can they lower the amount as i only work 3 days per week ?
you need to get a copy of your contract and sickness policy,my wage was halfed after a month which seems common
I know its hard but you really need to discuss this with HR or your line manager.I didnt want to go into the office so asked for a meeting offsite,in the end they came round my house
I felt better afterwards because everything was much clearer and the meeting wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be
PS ignore anybody who tells you to "pull yourself together" they have no idea how hard anxiety can be

Allyce
11-02-15, 17:27
I went through a similar thing when I was first diagnosed a few years ago. Sadly, employers are sometimes not sure what to do when someone is struggling with anxiety and the very things they try to do can make you feel worse. My employer also demanded a meeting with me and the advice I would give you is to take someone with you. I was so anxious I could hardly speak and without someone with me I wouldn't of managed to even leave the house let alone have a meeting. I had already had a discussion with her and she was able to talk on my behalf and prompt me when I should of said something. In the end, by seeing me they were much more understanding and supportive as they could see with their own eyes how anxious I was.

Anxiety is tough and people often think that people who are anxious are just nervous like people are before exams etc but its a whole different ball game from my experience!

I also completely agree with MrAndy, don't push yourself to go back until you feel ready. You may be okay, but it might also make your anxiety worse and mean you need even more time off.

Take care.