PDA

View Full Version : hydrogen.peroxide. ....

pepsi
10-02-15, 11:49
Hi all I've been using hydrogen peroxide for ages ....its really made a difference to my over all oral hygiene ...However I've read on the Internet it's a huge no no it apparently destroys tooth enamel...I've noticed in some lighting my teeth look slightly different....but I'm 40 so some tooth change is a normal part of getting on a bit !? ...I think due to my dental phobias I've used too much and done some lasting damage.

Light_Bringer777
10-02-15, 16:06
What I've heard is that it not so much destroys enamel as it can alter the teeth surface, making it more porous or rough. Bottom-line is a lot of peroxide is probably slightly bad for your enamel. Emphasis on slightly, never heard of anyone melting their teeth from it or teeth whiteners.

But more importantly, just thought I'd reply because I actually have messed-up enamel from soft drinks and bruxism at only 27. I have expose dentine with small craters here and there, and my point is: it really is no big deal. I stopped drinking so much colas and fruit juices (take probably 1-2 a week at most now) and simply use a special toothpaste and I don't have any pain or other problem from it. My dentist isn't worried at all about it (besides the bruxism part in my case).

You be the judge of whether the benefits outweigh the potential disadvantages, but like I said even if you ended up with your dentine exposed like me, it's still easily manageable and not a pain to live with at all in my opinion.

pepsi
10-02-15, 20:34
Thankyou for the reply ...I was mainly concerned as I have had a gap form between 2 teeth...at the front I've since noticed a brown stain appear that I can't get rid of....I'm not sure what exposed dentine is ...but I've used hydrogen to fix a problem which it did....by I'd say 80% ...I'm now facing new problems though ....and was worried it was the hydrogen that had damaged the bone and enamel